cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2.5 to 2 inch sleeve

chiefcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Why do the sleeves say "Not to be used with WD hitch"? This makes no sense to me. Are there different types of sleeves?
2021 Jayco NorthPoint 382FLRB
2018 Ram 3500HD SRW 6.4L Hemi
2022 Ram 3500HD DRW Cummins HO, Max Tow (on order)
20 REPLIES 20

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
My hitch had too much wobble with the 2.5 to 2 inch sleeve adapter. So I upgraded the shank on my Equalizer hitch to 2.5 inches.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

Brisk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never used a WDH with my Ram but I bent 2 hitch pins with the adapter and my 14,000lb flatbed equipment trailer. Bought a 2.5" Reese Titan 18k 5" Drop ball mount and have had no issues since.
Brent('85) & Lindsay('86) DDs('08 &'11)

'14 RAM Laramie 3500SRW CCLB Cummins/4x4/68RFE
-B&W Turnover Ball/Anderson Ultimate Aluminum

Toyhauler-'06 Forest River Sierra Sport F32

2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX Wakeboat

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another reason for using the sleeve....

I have a 2.5" receiver. Debated on what to do. Decided in the end to use the sleeve. I actually had a shop weld it in. Over Christmas holidays, truck broke down, about 50 miles from home, in middle of nowhere. Tow truck came out. He had to use my hitch to hook the TT to the tow truck. Good thing my shank was 2" or my TT would have been left sitting on the side of the road. His hitch on the tow truck was 2". Put the truck on the flat bed, and towed the trailer behind his truck.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Reese hitch and Reese sleeve on my Suburban. I use it with my WDH, trailer is 7500-7800 lbs with 1200-1300 lb TW. I use a locking pin and it has never bent on my like others have had issues with.

One summer we were leaving for vacation and my fuel pump went out, using the sleeve meant that my draw bar easily went into the 2" hitch on the tow truck as well as my dad's truck which we borrowed to finish our vacation. If I had bought the larger draw bar, that would not have worked.

I'm sticking with use of the sleeve.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only problem I've had with my sleeve on my new CTD is almost losing it by forgetting to pull it out of the receiver! It sticks in the receiver sometimes and does not come out when I pull the hitch head out! Gotta remember that.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the full ram owners manual for my 2017 and there are no warnings or restrictions on the use of the sleeve i could find in the trailer or towing or hitches sections of the manual
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
My sleeve was as long as the receiver. The problem is with the shank being spaced 1/4" from the receiver on each side. That gap is filled with the sleeve that slides and gives no support front to rear. There have been reports of bending hitch pins and elongated holes from that movement. I upgraded to a 2-1/2" shank and that can be done with most hitches.

That makes sense. Thanks for that. I can see that as a possible issue
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
The sleeve it self does not have the warning, but the owners manual does, and most hitch manufactures do as well. the sleeve is too short to use on a WDH, it does not give full support of the shank.

I didn't read that anywhere in my owner's manual and i obtained the full one from ram. What page number is that on? Not sure what your referring to about the sleeve being too short? Measure the depth of the receiver without the sleeve. It's not very deep either.

I'll have to check the owners manual closer though.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Best to get a new drawbar.
That would be nice but not really an option with most WDH manufacturers.
Maybe the OP will post exactly what he has so a solution can be provided.
I don't like adapters when you can have the real deal.
Why make such an effort to improve the adapter and skirt the warnings?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My sleeve was as long as the receiver. The problem is with the shank being spaced 1/4" from the receiver on each side. That gap is filled with the sleeve that slides and gives no support front to rear. There have been reports of bending hitch pins and elongated holes from that movement. I upgraded to a 2-1/2" shank and that can be done with most hitches.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
eHoefler wrote:
.. the sleeve is too short to use on a WDH, it does not give full support of the shank.

Ditto. The sleeve that came with my 2009 Silverado is short. I've never used it because I upgraded to a Torklift Hitch so I could use their SuperTruss extension (to tow while my truck camper is onboard). It's 2".
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sleeve it self does not have the warning, but the owners manual does, and most hitch manufactures do as well. the sleeve is too short to use on a WDH, it does not give full support of the shank.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
As noted prior, the oem Mopar sleeve does not have any warnings on it. I plan on using mine with wdh. If i have any issues i may buy a 2.5" drop shank. I don't see it as a safety issue though. Just my opinion

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Best to get a new drawbar.

That would be nice but not really an option with most WDH manufacturers.

IMO that is PURE BUNK ... The two major WDH manufacurers both have 2 1/2 in drawbars for their WDH systems. AFAIK all the 2 1/2" drawbars still have a 2" section where the actual hitch head is mounted so they are universal to all hitch heads, just like the smaller 2" drawbars are. Also those drawbars could be used on any other brand WDH system so your statement is AFAIK "FLAT OUT WRONG" in all respects.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL