cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Acura RDX AWD or FWD

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
My DW likes these vehicles. I think they are the same as the Honda.

Does anyone know if they are flat towable?
14 REPLIES 14

LK23
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth. We bought a 2012 Honda CRV after owning three earlier year models. Big mistake! We hated it. After two months of uncomfortable driving, we traded it for a 2012 Buick Enclave. The Enclave is very comfortable, roomy and is a great tow vehicle.
2017 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Cadillac SRX Toad
Army Pilot, Vietnam 1971-71
Author of ACE, The Story of Lt. Col. Ace Cozzalio

ferg24
Explorer
Explorer
From what I understand, all that changed on the Hondas and Acuras is the warranty. They didn't want to keep having to warranty damage from people improperly towing them. Mainly going from R to N will cause major damage. I was told by an Acura and Honda dealership tech the only problem he's ever seen from people towing is fried e-brakes from failing to release.

emzee
Explorer
Explorer
I am laughing to myself. I just Googled; are Acura RDX's flat towable? and this page was what I got. You have much the same thoughts as me as far as the CR-V. We thought we would wait till the 2013's came out because of the change then we ended up disappointed in the "new" style. We had a 2005 MDX and traded it in for a new MDX because the style was much nicer. Then we found out 2005 MDX's are flat towable, not the year we have though ๐Ÿ˜ž . The fit is too small. I am not fond of Fords or Jeeps, maybe an Equinox but I do prefer Honda's and Acura's. :?

az99
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
Personally, I would get a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I have enjoyed mine, and it has been trouble free. Just remember, the plethora of available accessories makes J-E-E-P mean "Just Empty Every Pocket".
Just my opinion, but another good choice would be any manual transmission Subaru (the automatic versions must be trailered).
Again, my opinion, but the Chrysler PT Cruiser with manual transmission is towable four down. Our little convertible has done well on the snow/ice this year. The automatic versions can be dolly towed, or there is a Remco lube pump available. We tow ours on an old Demco Kar Kaddy dolly.
Manual trans will not work for us. One of the 2 drivers does not do stick shift. ๐Ÿ™‚
We want something AWD in a mid size crossover with some creature comfort options. If I don't find something we will just keep our current SUV and get a little FWD car to tow. Just want a quick hookup and go.
I like your Jeep meaning. Jeep has a totally different meaning to me.:(

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would get a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. I have enjoyed mine, and it has been trouble free. Just remember, the plethora of available accessories makes J-E-E-P mean "Just Empty Every Pocket".
Just my opinion, but another good choice would be any manual transmission Subaru (the automatic versions must be trailered).
Again, my opinion, but the Chrysler PT Cruiser with manual transmission is towable four down. Our little convertible has done well on the snow/ice this year. The automatic versions can be dolly towed, or there is a Remco lube pump available. We tow ours on an old Demco Kar Kaddy dolly.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

az99
Explorer
Explorer
MikeRP wrote:
Thanks it is a shame it is not towable. Looks like a Jeep, Ford, or Chevy. We don't like the shape of the Honda CRV.

No offense to the CRV as I know it is a great and loved car but we did not like much about it either. By looking at specs and reviews we were ready to pick out a color and go. Until we saw and drove it.

If you look at the Ford or Lincoln, be sure you spend a lot of time with their user unfriendly touch screen. We hated it but some friends of ours thought they could deal with it and got an MKX. 1 year later and they still hope to come out one morning and it be gone. ๐Ÿ™‚

We are unfortunately still looking also. Good Luck

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks it is a shame it is not towable. Looks like a Jeep, Ford, or Chevy. We don't like the shape of the Honda CRV.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
MikeRP wrote:
Thanks !

I hope so that's what my wife wants.
There does not seem to be much available in a towable mid size crossover. The Hyundia Santa Fe is nice but not towable. The SRX is towable but $50K and heavy.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
The 2013 Acura RDX AWD is not towable 4 down per the dealer.

The sales(give me the check and we'll worry about it later)manager said it was towable. I asked the salesman to read that to me from the manual. He then confirmed the manual says it is NOT towable.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks !

I hope so that's what my wife wants.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Acura dealer checking on this as this is on my list also. Will report back.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think so. Though similar in size to the Honda CRV, they are using a different drivetrain, V6 engine vs the 4cyl, 6sp auto vs the 5spd auto. Some of the Acura products us the SH (super handling) AWD which is more complicated.
The only two vehicle that Honda will approve towing 4 down are the CRV and the Fit. Towing any other model 4 down may void the warranty on related parts (transmission etc).
Remco do not list the 2013 Acura models yet, but for the 2012s, say they must be trailered.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
An Acura dealer told me that Acura does not have any 2013 4-wheels-down vehicles, including the models similar to Honda towable models.

You could check Motorhome magazine for older Acuras.

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
They are much heavier and therfore check you tow limit first. Some may not be towable like some Honda's.