cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Honda Fit

JesseJ1826
Explorer
Explorer
I see where the 2014 Honda Fit will have the dreaded CVT transmission as their automatic. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that this pretty much guarantees it will no longer be towable. Anyone looking to get a Fit auto better get one now.
J J

2001 Four Winds Chateau 31N E450 V10
2006 Saturn Vue V6 AWD, drivetrain by Honda, body by Tupperware
Aventa II, Brake Buddy
6 REPLIES 6

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
deleted by me.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
Having CVT transmission doesn't automatically make it untowable. Why don't we wait and see what Honda has to say?
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the Fit doesn't hold its value as well at first? OTOH $5000 depreciation in 3 years it not much. 30% is, but 5k isn't. There needs to be enough of a difference on a low priced car to make someone want to take the chance on a used one.

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
As a Honda owner, I feel the advice to buy used doesn't apply as well.

If you are buying a domestic car, buy it a couple of years old, let the first owner take the depreciation. If you are buying a Honda, buy it new, sell it at around 90K miles, let the second owner take the depreciation and heavier maintenance/repairs. I'm serious.

So I am thinking about buying a Fit, for dinghy towing. Sounds like I better get going?
We've owned several Hondas and I think they are good cars.

I think a new Fit goes for around $18,000 and a three year old Fit for around $13,000. That's $5,000 or around 30% difference.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
As a Honda owner, I feel the advice to buy used doesn't apply as well.

If you are buying a domestic car, buy it a couple of years old, let the first owner take the depreciation. If you are buying a Honda, buy it new, sell it at around 90K miles, let the second owner take the depreciation and heavier maintenance/repairs. I'm serious.

So I am thinking about buying a Fit, for dinghy towing. Sounds like I better get going?

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
Good notice!

Of course, you could buy a used one next year ๐Ÿ™‚

According to Car Talk, the sweet spot for buying a car is when it's three years old.

1. Depreciation is biggest during the first two years so you get a more affordable price.

2. You have the opportunity to check for problems that might have cropped up in the first two years.

3. You save on insurance.

4. There are more reasons, but I can't recall them right now