cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Wrangler Requires battery disconnect - What do you use?

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
We are 95% sure we are going to go buy a new 2 door Wrangler soon and I was doing some research. I downloaded the owners manual from the Jeep Web site and found in the instructions for "Shifting Into NEUTRAL (N)":

15. Disconnect the negative battery cable, and secure it away from the negative battery post.

Our Jeep Liberty does not need a battery disconnect, so this caught me by surprise.

I am curious what other Jeep owners are using for a disconnect. Pulling the cable of the battery and leaving it hang seems a bit crude. I see there are various disconnects on the market. Or is there a work around for this?
One beautiful wife
Mattie and Trooper the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 with 2008 Lance 1181
2015 Jeep Wrangler toad w/ ReadyBrake/Brute
Web Site
17 REPLIES 17

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
portscanner wrote:
sch911 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
I wonder...
Of all the people who are towing newer Wranglers which have NO steering lock, and have been confused by the outdated instructions in the Owners Manual, how many have called (or written) Jeep Customer Service and told them about the incorrect information in the book?
Maybe if Jeep gets enough informative calls, they will issue a correction!

No they won't. Not unless there are more calls/complaints because my GC is wrong as well and I have written to Chrysler and told my dealer. I bet there are so many in print that they aren't going to change it until the supply is exhausted. Why they don't change the electronic version is asinine. This subject has been brought up so many times it seems that there needs to be a sticky.......for the Wrangler TOAD.

The 2014 JGC OM is correct, no steering lock, no battery pull is required. Just checked the OM myself...

Can I assume you mean the printed version is correct? As the owners manual from the Jeep Web site still has the reference to disconnecting the battery (page 552)

The 2013 OM has that not the 2014 OM....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
my 2012 Wrangler Owners Manuel is ALSO correct - no mention of doing anything to the battery or fuse box. (see Chapter 5, page 485, RECREATIONAL TOWING).
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
I wonder...
Of all the people who are towing newer Wranglers which have NO steering lock, and have been confused by the outdated instructions in the Owners Manual, how many have called (or written) Jeep Customer Service and told them about the incorrect information in the book?

No they won't. Not unless there are more calls/complaints because my GC is wrong as well and I have written to Chrysler and told my dealer. I bet there are so many in print that they aren't going to change it until the supply is exhausted. Why they don't change the electronic version is asinine. This subject has been brought up so many times it seems that there needs to be a sticky.......for the Wrangler TOAD.

The 2014 JGC OM is correct, no steering lock, no battery pull is required. Just checked the OM myself...

Can I assume you mean the printed version is correct? As the owners manual from the Jeep Web site still has the reference to disconnecting the battery (page 552)
One beautiful wife
Web Site

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
I wonder...

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
dubdub07 wrote:
mowermech wrote:
I wonder...

OK, ok I work there and will try to get this cleared up...

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
2010+ wranglers do NOT require battery disconnects....in fact it NEEDS the battery connected to supply power TO the bulbs !

my suggestion is to use the MOPAR wiring harness (as i did on my 2012).

after 2010 there are no steering locks or fuses to be pulled - take the key and lock the jeep ! DONE !

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I wonder...

2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
It does not have a steering column lock so there is no need to disconnect the battery. The Owners Manual says nothing about disconnecting the battery...

I am going to assume you have a printed version of the Owners Manual that came with your 2014 Wranger. I downloaded the owners manual from the Jeep Web site and it is in there.

But this wont be the first time (or last) that a printed document contradicts an electronic version of a document. Mowermech has a good point:

mowermech wrote:
I wonder...
One beautiful wife
Web Site

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
It does not have a steering column lock so there is no need to disconnect the battery. The Owners Manual says nothing about disconnecting the battery...

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder...
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Hedgehog
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded my wife's 2009 two door wrangler for a 2014 four door wrangler and had the same concerns. This is not the case. The 2014 doesn't have a steering lock so leaving the keys in the ignition is not required. We just back from our first trip with the new toad with no issues at all.

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting...very interesting.

Incorrect information in the owners manual? Say it aint so!!!!

10. Turn the engine OFF and leave the ignition switch in the unlocked ACC position.

This is from page 552 of the 2014 owners manual from the jeep.com web site (see the link in my first post)

It appears that the world has not come to an end by leaving the battery connected and the ignition switch off!
One beautiful wife
Web Site

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I do not disconnect the battery in my new Jeep. I need power for my brake system. 3700 miles so far and no problems whatsoever.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

RFCN2
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2013 Jeep Wrangler. I never disconnect the battery, why. The car is not turned on when towing. I take the key out and put it in the console when towing. No steering wheel lock. This is one of the big advantages of towing a Jeep. Fast and easy.
RFCN2
Country Coach
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited