Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 jeep wrangler supplemental braking

peterman1
Explorer
Explorer
hello
I have a quick question... what type of supplemental brake system would you use for a 2016 jeep wrangler sport 2 dr? thanks for any responses.

pete
12 REPLIES 12

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
RVI II
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
peterman1 wrote:
hello
I have a quick question... what type of supplemental brake system would you use for a 2016 jeep wrangler sport 2 dr? thanks for any responses.

pete

Well Pete
You don't say what kind of coach/model/year/gas/diesel/engine etc. The reason I ask for that info is, there's supplemental braking for your Jeep that is primarily is designed to be used with Diesel coaches with air brake systems. One in particular is called the M & G Braking system. It is by far, the easiest to setup and one very important point/benefit is, IT DOES NOT PUSH ON THE JEEPS BRAKE PEDAL!! It's mounted between the power brake unit and the master cylinder. Therefore, no brake lights are triggered with the M & G unit.

The really nice benefit of that is, since there's no brake lights triggered, you can use the plug and play Hopkins harness for wiring your Jeeps tail lights for toad lights. I know, I just did it yesterday for our '15 JKUR Jeep. With the M & G braking system, all there is between the toad and the coach is a short, curly Que air line with a female at one end and a male at the other, DONE!

There is no lifing of any heavy "Robot" out of your toad and storing it some place and, re-inserting it, each time you want to hook up and travel. A One pound air line is all you'll attach between the coach and Jeep.

This all pre-supposing you MAY have a diesel. If not, well, you'll have to with another choice. Many use the Ready Brake due to it also is a permanent install, no robots to lift in and out of the toad.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one of my major concerns was wanting it to have some type of break away braking function.
bumpy

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ready brake.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I use M&G on our Jeep and did on our pickup as well. There are lots of options and i dont think there is a bad one, just different methods of doing the same thing. You have to decide if you want to rmove it each time you unhook or not and go from there.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We used Brake Buddy successfully with our Jeep for 8 years of our full-timing.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are so many choices. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how lazy you want to be. Lots of folks will chime in. I had a Brake Buddy that I used in four different toads. I now have an RVibrake2 that I bought at a local garage sale for $400. It had been used twice and was like new. After you decide what you want, start cruising eBay, Craig's List and Amazon. I sold my nine year old Brake Buddy on Craig's List for $200. Left some money on the table, but it only took 3 days.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I powered my Brake Buddy with a portable charger/jumper jobby which I wanted to have along anyhow.
bumpy

2005bounder35e
Explorer
Explorer
Brake buddy

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Blue Ox Patriot Brake in mine.
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
peterman1 wrote:
hello

pete

back in '03 we had the same question when we wanted to tow our '03 2-dr wrangler. I looked at all the options including the Brake Buddy and rejected it simply because there was no good place to store it when we weren't using it. it was, and likely still is, too large to store in the jeep and I didn't want to have to constantly move it here and there. I also didn't want to depend on a cigarette lighter plug to keep it powered.

we went with a semi-permanent braking solution (Unified Tow Brake from US Gear). the UTB is essentially out of business now but there are other similar products that will install in your jeep but which can be removed when you sell your jeep and reinstalled in your next toad. the ReadyBrake fromNSA RV Products is something i'll likely switch to when/if my UTB finally bites the dust.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
since I wanted to be able to switch toads and RVs I used a Brake buddy myself.
bumpy