cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel and tow chains

Captain_Skippy
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at various forums and cannot get a definitive answer. Are tow chains required on fifth wheel campers with goose neck adapters? I will be making a multistate trip this summer and don't want to be on the wrong side of the law. I have seen post on Various forums that say yes and no. I may put them on anyway. If I did, how long would they need to be?
We are the people our parents warned us about!
9 REPLIES 9

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Last I looked 37 states require safety chains for ball type hitches. This is for all ball type the Anderson and goose balls.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Captain_Skippy
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
I use coiled cables.

Could you provide a photo or a link to your cables? I don't really want chains dragging around in my truck bed.

Captain_Skippy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in SC, travel frequently to GA, NC, and FL. From what I've read GA and FL says campers are required to have chains. Didn't see any reference to 5ers. SC does say 5ers are exempt but doesn't mention gooseneck type.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
If using a/adapter to gooseneck chains are required

This is true some of the time, but not in all states. It varies so you need to check the laws where you'll be towing.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Craig_A
Explorer
Explorer
Check you state towing regulations.
Beautiful wife of 38 years
Female Yellow Labrador Retriever
18 year old Amazon Parrot
2015 Fleetwood Southwind 36J

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
On the 5er that I had and used a gooseneck adapter my chains (3/8" grade 70) were about 42" long they went from the OE pin box to the adapter then to the safety chain loops in the bed.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I use coiled cables.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
If using a/adapter to gooseneck chains are required

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If it is a ball type connection I know some states require chains. You would probably need to check each state you plan to tow thru.

Here is info from etrailer.com.