cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitch position in the bed

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can anyone tell me or does it matter that the Kingpin head is directly over the centerline of the rear axle? Or is it just a matter of you having enough clearance to keep from hitting the cab and side rails and Kingpin base position is only relevant to clear the bed sills (supports underneath) with a fixed rail system?
30 REPLIES 30

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not the axle weight I'm concerned with I have a dually. It is a mute point. I said it before I will say it again.. STABILITY??!! Is that it?....why is 2 inches forward the best place to have the Kingpin of the trailer regardless of where the base is mounted?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question ....

WHY are you SO concerned with transferring some weight to front axle via placement of where king pin will be :H

Are you so close on being OVERWEIGHT that you are trying to get some weight off rear axle?

Like I posted previously.....
Very little weight will get transferred to front axle with a 5th wheel hitch.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
The B & W patriot 18k is what I have and the head adjustments are numerous. The rails that the base is mounted to are limited to the bed supports of the truck you have and varies from truck to truck. I so happen to have a long bed. So can anyone explain why 2 inches forward is the optimal spot? Saying that it should be there, ok, but why should it be there? So regardless of where the base is mounted I can move that head all over the place. I can see maybe why mounting it just forward of the centerline would be a good thing vs. aft of center for stability geometrically... Now I also see why a slider would be necessary for a short bed for cab clearance in tight spots but when one of those are pulled up close to the cab I'm guessing your still shooting for the 2 inches ahead of the rear axle centerline? I'm learning here and it's starting to make sense. I can see some other brands are limited to fine tuning the Kingpin position so where the bed rails are mounted... that is what you get. Thanks everyone for your info...

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave H M wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
as stated before correct positioning is 2"s infront of the axle for best towing

On a simple hitch like a Reece, or I guess any one that would mount on the rails in the bed, it will turn out that way since the frame mounts are not adjustable.:h

why is it so hard you set the hieght for your 6" of clearance and the head 2"s infront of the axles,what is,so hard about this:h

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have never heard of the hitch placement determined by cab clearance. My 6.5' bed required me to get a slider hitch. And in tow mode, the pin is 2" forward from rear axle.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:

On a simple hitch like a Reece, or I guess any one that would mount on the rails in the bed, it will turn out that way since the frame mounts are not adjustable.:h

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I'm going with the trailer pin weight up front as far forward in the bed as I can get and enough to clear the cab as it seems that the weight forward of the rear axels will add some weight to the front axel, not much but, simple as it may seem, it as a whole, the balance of the tow rig seems to be the the issue also. I know that the weight distribution of the trailer itself on the tongue has it limits. Geometrically does it make sense? I have carried as much as 5000+ in the bed with this truck and as to Kingpin weight, this is not my biggest concern because it will never be that heavy. Over all it is stability that I am looking for. I have those 4 tires in the back of that truck that makes a difference, I can't see why it would not be but the position of the hitch head is again my concern. I understand that a light pin weight on the trailer is not good either as if you loaded heavy in the rear of the trailer. So the overall weight of the tow rig should have how much percentage of weight on the pin and where in position inside of the bed of the truck? That is my question. Example: so I have a toy hauler VS. a regular domestic version. If I'm hauling toys in the rear which is a lot heavier.... weight distribution changes right? I'm just trying to understand it all and not trying to be a pain in the butt...this is new to me and I need the real world experience to tell me I'm crazy out of my mind to overthink it but no question is a stupid question only ignorant mistakes can be avoided.. so forgive me for not knowing...any help...helps.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rails are installed and that was not an issue at all...actually easy for me install was a breeze...Again, what I want is advice on the head placement...I get level and side rail clearance of the bed but the forward and aft issue was more a concern....and I get the cab clearance...I just want to know from the professionals here what they know about adjusting the head position correctly....and what is the effect of going on centerline vs. aft or forward....I mean I have the Dually but what is a correct spot for the head of the hitch?

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
if its a longbed the back rail sits at 28 5/16 if its a shortbed the rear rail sits at 26 5/16 from the back edge of the bed

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
'Chucking' is for/aft movement of 5th wheel ....sway rarely is an issue with 5th wheel unless heavy winds then that is just getting blown around.
Chucking can be due to pin weight too light (low % of trailers GVWR), trailer braking too soon/too aggressive and hitch placement (king pin)
Forward of axle center will result in better towing

Specific instructions for rail placement for your year/brand/model of truck should be the ones followed.
I know different mfgs have different instructions but they are based on their rails and their hitches

Use the B&W fixed rail installation instructions

Here is a 'article' about placement-----LINK

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
So a little forward adds some stability? OK Chucking is the front to back banging around tendency of the trailer? Have not heard this term yet.. sorry I'm learning. My truck is an 02. MMM...my install of the rail kit to my understanding only mentions that the centerline of the Kingpins' base has to be 2 inches forward of center in my bed as to clear the bed supports (sills), not to where the hitch Kingpin head should be or could be... a B & W has many ways to adjust the head position (up, down ,forward, aft)...this is why I ask these questions. IS it just so as your trailer can clear the cab and the head position doesn't matter? As I read all of the install instructions of bed rails for different trucks, it seams to me it has to do with clearances of the base rails to sills of the bed not the Kingpin head position on the base of the hitch. It is all over the map as to measurements of the base. So now I am confused.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
5th wheel hitch can be installed forward/centered/aft of trucks rear axle.

Mine is 2" forward as per mfg. installation instructions.

Little weight gets transferred to front axle using a 5th wheel hitch with it forward of center line.

for best towing and less chucking this is the correct answer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
5th wheel hitch can be installed forward/centered/aft of trucks rear axle.

Mine is 2" forward as per mfg. installation instructions.

Little weight gets transferred to front axle using a 5th wheel hitch with it forward of center line.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
To add another question...if your able to have the Kingpin forward of center without hitting the cab, does it add more weight to the front axle and in turn take more load off the rear axle? Oh, BTW I'm talking about DRW Dodge with a B & W with a fixed rail system but you have a lot of adjustment so if anyone wanted to know what the tow vehicle and hitch was.