cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance on Rented Travel Trailer?

lilypoo
Explorer
Explorer
Insurance advice ~ we're going to be renting for a few months before buying, since we've never camped or RV'd and we're not even sure we'll like it! (I think we will but just in case!) Anyway...

All the rental companies and private parties we've spoken with have said that we need to purchase additional coverage through our auto insurance that would cover damage to the RV while it's being driven and while it's parked--called a "binder." (Our liability extends and that's all.)

I called Geico and they said there is no such thing, no way to buy add-on coverage for this and that the only way to be protected would be to rent from a dealer who offers a policy.

But literally everyone I've contacted has a form that *I* have to have filled out by *my* company saying I have purchased a "binder" to extend my coverage to the RV temporarily.

So what the heck do I do? Super discouraged as we have a trip planned and were going to rent a TT from a friend actually...if we go through the service they're with, the trailer is only covered when parked...not if damage occurs while driving!
15 REPLIES 15

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
The company I rep for has a coverage to add to any auto policy at a cost of $3/day for any RV (motor home, trailer, 5er). Not all companies have the same coverages however.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe asking the wrong questions. Many renters insure rental cars either part of their auto policy or via the credit card that paid for it. I always decline the auto rental insurance as I am covered by my own policies and how I paid for it. If this is a towable it will be a little different but nothing unique that should create such confusion.

TJMarc
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest maybe giving your insurance another call and ask for clarification. When I rented a trailer years ago, I call my agent (State Farm) and mentioned what I wanted and they knew exactly what I was talking about. They had their own form they sent to the rental company. I recall the agent acting like it was a very common request and not a problem.
2017 Ram 3500 DRW/6.7 CTD/AISIN/3.73
2013 AF 811
2004 Jeep TJ (slightly modded)
18' PJ Buggy Hauler

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lilypoooo, what makes you think an insurance company would insure you for a privately owned RV that is insured by the owner?
Their RV, their insurance.
Rental outfits will offer comp and collision insurance on their rental units.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI:
Be very clear about when the TT is insured;
I have a rider on my auto policy to cover the TT when it is CONNECTED to the TV. I have a separate insurance on the TT when it is NOT CONNECTED to the TV.

I had 2 claims on the TT; One connected and one dis-connected; Each policy picked up thair part of the claim.

Just be clear when talking to the Ins. Company.
Gerry

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I worked in insurance, the company I worked for had coverage available on rented rvs. It was extended from your auto policy and cost $1.00 per day ( yes, very cheap). Minimum charge of $10. You were required to provide the name/address of the owner, owners insurance info and description of the rv along with vin #. You were issued a certificate of insurance and one was also supplied to the owner. Your extended insurance paid first minus your deductibles. Check with your current auto insurer. If they don't have anything, the rental company should have coverage you can purchase, just like a rental car. ( The company that offered this was State Farm in Michigan).

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry.. Double tap
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beaker wrote:
Have your friend pay for insurance and you pay him.

Somehow I don't see this working either, unless the insurance company doesn't have a problem with the real owner renting the trailer to someone else... Now, if he fudged the truth, (which I am NOT advocating) and said he loaned it, maybe, as long as the insurance company doesn't have a problem insuring it if it is loaned to someone. Everyone would lose once the truth comes out.

As others have pointed out, the TV insurance typically covers the TT while in transit. But, if your TV insurance won't cover you borrowing or renting a TT, well, that's a dilemma.

Mike

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
okhmbldr wrote:
Just purchase an insurance policy as if you were the owner. Get the VIN and all the other info, manufacturer, year, make, etc.
Then after you use the trailer for two months, just cancel the policy.

Somehow I don't see this working... Let see

Insurance Co: Do you have a clear title, or is there a lien?
You: Uh, I dunno...

Insurance Co: Copy of registration/title?
You: Uh, I don't have one... it's not in my name...

I don't know about your insurance company, but mine asks for lien holder/title/copy of registration, license tag etc...

If it were me, would rent from a 'real' RV rental company that will offer insurance just like a rental car agency. If you damage or destroy your friends TT, will he still be your friend?

Mike

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchase an insurance policy as if you were the owner. Get the VIN and all the other info, manufacturer, year, make, etc.
Then after you use the trailer for two months, just cancel the policy.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Have your friend pay for insurance and you pay him.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Your tow vehicle ins covers the liability and home owners ins covers the contents but you will need something to cover the trailer itself.
I'm surprised they dont offer this coverage for hefty fee.

Correct, you would think the rental company would offer it. How many insurance companies want to write a collision policy on a TT for a few weeks. The paperwork involved would eat up any profit unless they charged a whole lot for it. Just not worth it to them.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check with National Interstate Ins.

They 'specialize' in covering RVs.all kinds/types etc.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
My main vehicle insurance is through USAA, and they subcontracted out my TT insurance to Progressive. You might give Progressive a call, they seem to handle a lot of RV insurance. I think as long as you give them the VIN they don't care if you own the trailer or not.

Note that if you rent a vehicle from a friend that their insurance probably won't pay if you have an issue, or if they do pay they will immediately be dropped. Normal private party insurance doesn't cover rental, as that is a commercial activity, and it is likely to be considered fraud if you don't report to your insurance company that you are renting your vehicle out. All of my vehicle insurance policies state this in the policy.