cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel vs Class A - which is better for US?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
We will be full-timing by the time we purchase this unit.

We will most likely to look for places to stay for 2 - 4 weeks at a time, and look for scenic or trails to hike around frequently. This means lots of driving around the camping site, perhaps up to 100 miles radius or more during the stay. We will do this throughout the year, at least for the first couple of years.

So far, our thoughts is to get a diesel puckup (3500 series) dually and one of DRV, Excel or Lifestyle.

But I'm beginning to wonder if I'm better off with a Class A + a economy toad vehicle since we plan to move quite frequently?

What would be the pros and cons for each setup for our case?
48 REPLIES 48

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
gitane59 wrote:
I have seen people spend 15 min's just unhooking their Tow'd upon entering campgrounds. This time must be added to setup time for a Class A motorhomes as I can unhitch my pickup in equal or less time than it takes to connect or un-connect a TOW'd from a motorhome. Yes I know we both can use a pull through and both can leave our vehicles attached if we want for a quick getaway in the morning.

But we usually know ahead of time if we have a pull through site or back-in site. If we know we have a back-in site, I unhook the Jeep while DW is inside getting us booked in. Can't ever remember it taking 15 minutes, now some of those with Tow Dollies yes but not towing 4 down.

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Acei wrote:
Unfortunately in Canada, mortgage interests are not tax deductable. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Also, I won't be looking for any financing (unless if they offer something significantly cheaper than a market rate) since we will be selling our house which is fully paid off. The remaining amount will be invested until the time when we give up full-timing.

In my case, I do need to count the toad cost since I am looking for a total cost of ownership. If I go 5th wheel route, I will not be buying another car on top of the truck.

Well in that case, if cost is the main concern, then the truck and 5th wheel is the best choice.

Cost isn't the only main concern but it is a big one. I'm willing to pay as long as there's some value in there. Hence I'm trying to compare the two setups of equal ownership cost.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
15 minutes to unhook a toad? 1. Take the lock off the tow bar and lift the bar from ball and put it in the folded position. (15 seconds) 2. Unhook the safety cables and wrap them around the folded tow bar. (20 seconds) 3. Unhook the umbilical cord for the lights. (10 seconds). 4. Get in the towed. (10 seconds) 5. Turn the key on, push the button to shift the transfer case out of neutral, wait for the click. (15 seconds). Start the towed put it in gear and drive away (10 seconds).

If you want to completely remove the tow bar from either the towed or the motorhome (which ever model you have) add another 90 seconds. But when I'm out camping I leave the tow bar on the front of my toad and leave the safety cables attached to the toad.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acei wrote:

Also, I won't be looking for any financing (unless if they offer something significantly cheaper than a market rate) since we will be selling our house which is fully paid off. The remaining amount will be invested until the time when we give up full-timing.

In my case, I do need to count the toad cost since I am looking for a total cost of ownership. If I go 5th wheel route, I will not be buying another car on top of the truck.

Well in that case, if cost is the main concern, then the truck and 5th wheel is the best choice.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Retired JSO wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
While you are setting up the 5ver, I'll push the level button, run out the slide and have a beer and watch you out in the weather doing your thing.

X-2

Went from a 35' fifth wheel into a 40' motorhome in April. My setup time went from an hour or more to 15 minutes or less. Level, hookup, slides, satellite, awning, rug, chairs, fans, beer.

I don't understand for a moment what you would be doing for an hour or more setting up your fifthwheel. I would have my fifthwheel unhooked and setup in 20 min's and be sitting back downing a cold one shaking my head watching you setup your fifthwheel for an additional 40 min's or more. Might even have time to BBQ a steak and make up a salad in that time.

I have seen people spend 15 min's just unhooking their Tow'd upon entering campgrounds. This time must be added to setup time for a Class A motorhomes as I can unhitch my pickup in equal or less time than it takes to connect or un-connect a TOW'd from a motorhome. Yes I know we both can use a pull through and both can leave our vehicles attached if we want for a quick getaway in the morning.
I agree it is a very personal choice whether you want the benefits of traveling comfort and convenience that a motorhome provides or the day to day living convenience and benefits of more space and homier floorplans that fifthwheels provide.
I have seriously considered switching to a Class A but have decided to stay fiver for a number of reasons including driving safety reasons. I have seen and read about too many front tire failures on Class A's the resulting safety risks that front tire failures produce including serious injuries and fatalities.
Cost of maintenance and repair is also a factor for me and if my pickup breaks down I still have my living quarters to enjoy while my TV is in the shop getting fixed. A rental car is cheap and easy to get so getting around while the TV is in the shop is still not an issue.
Another reason for my decision is that we travel with two dogs and if we had a motorhome and we had a serious failure we would have to try and find pet friendly emergency motel/hotel accommodations. Not very likely in most locations.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
robatthelake wrote:
If there was a perfect RV for everyone there would be no choices! Each type has its own pluses and minuses.
For Us that decision was based upon the following!

On a trip down the Baja while Listening to " Welcome to the Hotel California"

A new line was added to the lyrics!

I have to Pee!

Those of You who are over 60 and have driven this stretch of road will relate! There is nothing resembling a "Rest Area...No Pullouts..Steep inclines...narrow Road...Boulder Fields!!!

In short there. Is No Place to pull over with that 37 Foot Long 102 Inch wide Trailer and The Four Door Truck!

Nuff Said!
What do you do when the driver has to pee?

2 Litre Pop Bottle! My Bladder tells Me in plenty of time! so Far!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Acei
Explorer
Explorer

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
But the most important lesson you need to have learned is don't completely trust the info you get on here because everybody has different tastes. What's good from somebody else may not be good for you.

And depending on your circumstances the MH route may not be costlier, depending on the type of rig you're looking at. If you're a cash buyer the Truck trailer probably is cheaper but for me I wasn't a cash buyer so the motorhome was cheaper, even though the total price was more than a truck and trailer. How you ask? Because you can get long term financing on a motorhome up to 20 years. A motorhome gets you a second home tax write off on the interest. You get the same write off for a trailer, but only on the trailer and not on the truck. If you finance the truck and trailer you can get long term financing on the trailer, but not on the truck. If you get a top of the line dually one ton with a 6 year loan, you're payment on the truck may be more than your payment on a motorhome may have been when you factor in your tax write-off.

And for me I don't count the cost of the toad in my MH calculations, because I need a car anyway, or in my case a small pickup. What I have no need for is a giant one ton dually truck. So if I went that route I'd have the one ton dually and still have to have two cars. Now if you're a farmer or something and you already have a need for a one ton dually so it's also a work truck, then there's no question just adding a 5th wheel is the way to go.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the useful and informative responses.

The messages I'm getting is the following:

- MH route is costlier. Another way of saying this is that if I want to keep the ownership cost the same for both, then I will need to significantly sacrifice the room. Cheaper gas cost on the toad drive doesn't offset enough to the overall cost.

- MH is more pleasant on road, including access to the rest of the cabin. It is also easier to park.
- MH is more pleasant when you are driving locally around the site (due to a toad)
- MH has two engines which is nice because you have a backup option. But more headache since you need to do maintenance on both.

- FW is more pleasant on site (at the same price point).
- Maintaining a pickup (even a dually) is much easier than MH.

- Setup and pack-up time are about the same. High-end FWs use similar automated setup as MHs.

Overall, there's more +ves for MH than FW based solution but one of the BIG negatives for the MH is the cost. Yes, you can go used route but you can say the same for the 5th wheel which will make the setup even cheaper. I think it's only fair to compare the two scenarios of equal cost and equal age.

Here are our priorities (in order):

1. Cost but only to a point. We are willing to spend $170k on a setup so we are obviously not looking for the cheapest possible solution.
2. Less headache.
3. Comfort & Convenience. This includes smaller local drive.
4. Comfort & safety while on road.

We can obviously force #1 to be the same on both. MH looses out #2 battle. #3 is about same since FW offers better comfort at destinations but MH offers more while on roads (both MH and toads). #4 is better for MH obviously.

So, I think for me, FW setup is better.

Did I overlook at something obvious?

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have owned both and can tell you to just pick the one you like best.
I can set both up in about the same amount of time. Unhooking toad or 5er takes about the same amount of time.
I didn't save fuel by having a more fuel friendly toad as I burnt twice the fuel with the mh getting there and back. Not to mention added cost of towing and braking equipment.
Higher maintenance with the Mh as well as taxes and Ins.
We enjoyed traveling a bit more in the Mh but again that's just part of the outing.
You just need to go look and see which best suits YOUR needs.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the statements that it is a personal decision. We decided on a Class A because we wanted to have a fuel efficient car when we got somewhere and we find traveling in the Class A more comfortable. The person not driving can use the restroom as you are going down the road, and that become important as you get older. Stopping for a quick lunch break is easier with the Class A. That being said, fifth wheels are very nice and are more spacious. It is easier to find somewhere to fix a truck engine than a diesel Cat or Cummins engine, and it is cheaper.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trap wrote:
Either choice is going to work, and I bet one wouldn't be a whole lot better than the other. We've had both, but will admit I prefer the class A dp.
The main advantage to class A is we find the journey more enjoyable. The coach is either warm or cool depending on the weather.
If we want to stop for a rest or lunch it is much easier. If just overnighting with a pull through site it is easier.
But will say I would enjoy the lifestyle in either one.

A couple of minutes quicker to setup is not gonna make a whole lot of difference.

Get what you feel is right and get out there and enjoy it.

And that right there is probably the main advantage to the Class A versus the Truck, 5th combo. The Class A is just comfortable to drive with lots of space and nice big windows to watch the world go by. Also you're sitting up at eye level with the truckers and it's amazing at how much more you can see from up there. When the thing is moving the driver is still stuck in the drivers seat, but the passengers sure are more comfortable in the Class A. We did a cross-country trip a couple of years ago and I did two 700 mile days in a row and wasn't even all that worn out.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pauljdav wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Pauljdav wrote:
Tom/Barb wrote:
While you are setting up the 5ver, I'll push the level button, run out the slide and have a beer and watch you out in the weather doing your thing.

Is that the same weather that the 5th wheel owner will be enjoying drinking his beer while you unhook your toad to go to the store because you need something from the store?

5th wheels have built in groceries that Class A's don't have?

No toad to disconnect when you need something. The class a owner enjoyed his beer while the 5th owner was setting up. Now it is time for the 5th owner to have his beer while the class a owner disconnects the toad.

Paul

Oh, I see. You do know it takes about a minute and a half to disconnect the toad right? I usually pull over outside the park and take mine off then either park it someplace and come back and get it later, or have my wife follow me into the park.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Trap
Explorer
Explorer
Either choice is going to work, and I bet one wouldn't be a whole lot better than the other. We've had both, but will admit I prefer the class A dp.
The main advantage to class A is we find the journey more enjoyable. The coach is either warm or cool depending on the weather.
If we want to stop for a rest or lunch it is much easier. If just overnighting with a pull through site it is easier.
But will say I would enjoy the lifestyle in either one.

A couple of minutes quicker to setup is not gonna make a whole lot of difference.

Get what you feel is right and get out there and enjoy it.