cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 or 12 That is the question

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Friends just bought a new 32-34' Cougar 5er (much better quality than I expected) . They have not added the batteries yet at the Dealer. They have a Solar Panel on the roof and a 2,000 Inverter. I told them to be sure they get two 6V batteries and when asked why I couldn't give an exact reason other than it's the best way to go.

So please help either tell me I am wrong and why or that I am correct and why.

Thanks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD
25 REPLIES 25

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We dry camp a lot and use our solar for TV, Satellite, and computers, plus lights and charging. We have four 6V deep cycle batteries and we only have 300 watts of solar panels!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
It's got 2 fridges? Both residential?

Sounds like a nice trailer. I dont think 6v is the best choice for newer trailers running solar and large inverters. I would advise him to start researching lithium. Will cost more, but it doesnt seem like they're looking for a budget friendly setup to begin with.

If they need time to decide you could always borrow a 12v battery from a car just to get by for a camping trip. Assuming they will be on shore power. Make sure they know they need a battery in the trailer for the emergency brake.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Either option is inadequate for a 2000 watt inverter.

The less the dealer does the better. Smallest 12v is fine to get you home. Then you can do a proper install with 3 or 4 lithium batteries. ๐Ÿ˜‰

dedmiston
Why stop at two batteries? If you can fit four, add four or more.

If I could only have two batteries, I'd go with two x 12v in case one went bad. With more than that though, my choice is always 6v since I could always limp by with just two 6v.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Generally pack as many amp hours as you have space to put them.

Typically RV builders don't allow much space for the battery bank. Enough room for 2 group 27 12V or 2 group 31s if you are extremely lucky.

A third option is to have a single 4D battery which will give more than 200 amp hours & simplify wiring.

It is not as simple as 6V or 12V.

There is use & battery chemistry to consider. Cheapest is not necessarily the best overall.

You can get AGM batteries. They cost much more than wet cells, have zero maintenance, are good for deeper discharges, many more discharge cycles, self discharge at half the rate of a wet cell in storage and can have a useable lifespan up to 10 years.

The way to go if you want to be prepared for more than a night or two of dry camping.

For the typical weekend warrior always on hookups the wet cell bank in one configuration or another is the way to go.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
I read Valhalla statement about 2 six volts turning a small motor . I am glad that I had not read it years ago when for seven years I had two 6 volt golf car batteries starting a 6-71 Detroit in a dive boat !

If your motor doesn't take a lot of amps to turn and the batteries do it...there is no harm to the batteries.

I was merely referring to a common situation where deep cycle batteries are commonly used to power starter motors.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I read Valhalla statement about 2 six volts turning a small motor . I am glad that I had not read it years ago when for seven years I had two 6 volt golf car batteries starting a 6-71 Detroit in a dive boat !

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Deep cycle batteries have a smaller number of thick plates.
Starting batteries have a larger number of thin plates.

Maximum amperage is a function of plate surface area. So more thin plates allow for more surface area and thus more amps...very useful turning over a big truck diesel.

Thicker plates allow you to take the charge down lower with less long term damage...very useful for deep cycling low to moderate house loads.

A 2000w inverter will be pulling less than 170amps
A 6-7liter diesel may be pulling 700-1000amps when starting but only for a few seconds

6v golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries.
The 12v trolling motor/combo batteries are relabeled starting batteries.

So for the same amp-hr rating, you won't see much difference initially but if you really use the capability, the available amp-hr in the starting batteries will drop more quickly as they wear out. If you only rarely boondock, you may never notice.

You can use deep cycle batteries for starting and it will cause them no damage. The issue is you will need more of them to develop enough amps. Quite common on cruising sail boats where you are turning over a small 20-40hp motor. It doesn't take a lot of amps, so the battery bank set up for house loads has plenty of cranking amps to turn over the small motor.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Interesting there are so many different opinions on this.

Grit Dog says two 6v all the way so I will side with him as y'all know we agree on everything. :B

:C
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
ssthrd wrote:
Which is better-- 2x6V deep cycle or 2x12V deep cycle for boondocking? My setup right now is 2x6V which gives me 260 ah. I found 2x12V that will give me (2x150=) 300ah. Are the 12's really better than the 6's?

If you have HIGH draws yes the 12 volt are better (though probably not cheaper)

If you don't have high draws, the 6 volts may have greater cycle life.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting there are so many different opinions on this.

Grit Dog says two 6v all the way so I will side with him as y'all know we agree on everything. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
Which is better-- 2x6V deep cycle or 2x12V deep cycle for boondocking? My setup right now is 2x6V which gives me 260 ah. I found 2x12V that will give me (2x150=) 300ah. Are the 12's really better than the 6's?

assuming you keep your amp draw to 30A peak or so, I'd go with 6V. that is typical load is some LED lights, a gas fridge, an exhaust fan.

Now a pair of 6V GC2, 250AH useable AH is 250*0.75 about 180-190AH. That's correct, you can discharge typical GC2 batteries down to 25% SOC and STILL get hundreds of cycles out of them. Trojan std GC2 is 500 cycles @ 75% DOD. Compare that to a very good set of 12V that give you life at 50% DOD, even trojan 12V deep discharge cycle life drops like rock once you go below 50% DOD. So the 300AH 12V give you 150AH cycle life at 50%. Advantage goes to GC2.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually Group 31 are about 130 but wait there is more (27/29 are about 100)

Most of the "Group xx" batteries out there are either straight up starting or MARINE/deep cycle.. these batteries should be kept fairly full for best life. Rapid againg sets in around 75% (M/dc) or 80%(Starting) where as a TRUE Deep Cycle can go to half full before that happens.. or so they say. NOTE there will be differences berand to brand. Also the ability of the battery to recover from an "OH C**P!" level run down (like the volt meter has only one digit run down) is better with the DEEP CYCLE.

GC-2 (Golf Car, takes 2 to make 12 volts) and GC-12 (Golf Car, 12 volt) are DEEP CYCLE batteries.

LiFePo4 is even better, and more costly and other things that matter some good some not so much... (I'm just starting to play with those)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times