cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

85 octane regular gas mid west states?

Fishy_Old_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I will be driving car to Wyoming from Tennessee. Will I encounter 85 octane for regular gasoline? Hard to find 87 octane in Midwest?

Thank you for any help you can provide.
32 REPLIES 32

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that turbo charged engines have nearly the same octane needs regardless of elevation.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IN the mid-west (IE: Michigan) 87 is no tribble at all

IN THE MOUNTAINS I've seen 85.. Seems at higher altitude you don't need as much Octane (Actually I understand why that is but I'd rather not get into a technical post just now)

But I recommend avoiding it less you plan on STAYING at high altitude .. Go Mid Grade if you encounter it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Your computer-controlled car can compensate by reducing timing advance if necessary.

That's spark knock.

If it is so bad that you are getting true compression knock, then playing with the timing won't help any......since the fuel ignites BEFORE the spark hits.

Thankfully that condition is pretty rare.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
85? News to me ๐Ÿ˜ž
More alcohol?

No. E100 has an "octane" rating of about 100.

You just missed all of those previous discussions about this.....that have been going on since about 1930 or so. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lower octane fuel is cheaper to make.

The lower variety works just fine at higher altitudes.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Your computer-controlled car can compensate by reducing timing advance if necessary. Best to fill up often so you don't get a full tank of it though.
Currently Between RVs

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I follow the Chevy owner's manual recommendation - "Do not use gasoline with an octane rating below 87, as it may cause engine damage and will lower fuel economy."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
85? News to me ๐Ÿ˜ž

Pray tell, how did they manage two lose 2, R+M /2 points? Here we are SELLING sweet fracked crude or trading it for sour thick Mayan asphaltic crude, prices are going up and finished gasoline quality is going down? The commodities speculators strike again? More alcohol?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Colo Native wrote:
Here in Colorado 85 is the same as 87 I believe

Correct! In many western states 85 octane gas will work the same as 87 due to the higher altitude. No need to buy the much higher priced 87. The car won't know the difference.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:

ONLY as long as you STAY at high altitude.
I has something to do with atmospheric pressure and air density.

85 stays 85 no matter what you do.
And when you hit the valley, it's not quite enough.
But not likely to cause a major problem either.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably fine with 85... however I use the next higher grade as my owner's manual says 87 minimum.

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Colorado and use 85 octane in my 2005 v10 motorhome, 2010 v6 Buick Lacrosse and 2014 v6 Jeep Grand Cherokee. No problems at all.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Bring along some onctane boost just in case.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Some mountain states have 85 but still have mid and/or super which will be higher. The thing is, if they sell it, it probably means you're at a high enough elevation that you can use it just fine.

All true.
But IF you are just passing THROUGH the mountains, it is best not to pump in a full tank of 85 if you will be down in the valley again before it's gone.
Put half a tank in......or go for mid-grade.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
87 may not be the lowest grade on the pump in some areas but you will have an option for 87 or better octane. A little simple math if necessary should keep you around 87 octane. for example the pump may have 85 and 89 octane a fifty fifty mix should suffice
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind