cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A different but maybe interesting topic...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are contemplating selling our house and was wondering: We have a metal carport type building on a concrete pad to house our 32' motorhome. Is that structure going to be more of a hindrance or benefit in our planned selling of the house? Certainly, someone with an RV or large boat would likely be interested in buying the house. BUT, a person without a need for the structure, I believe, could be turned off and not interested in buying the house because of the structure. Anyone with thoughts about this? Hindrance or Benefit??
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
38 REPLIES 38

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Teacher's Pet wrote:
Where are you in FL... looking for a place possibly if close east coast.

We're in the panhandle about 25 miles south of Tallahassee. If interested, let me know and I'll give you information.
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Leave it, provided it is not in bad shape. Demo cost is far cheaper than building new from scratch, and most potential buyers know it.

When listing the house, make sure the carport is featured in the listing as an additional amenity that comes with the house. You may be surprised how many people are looking for what you have. Good luck!

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
A picture is worth 1,000 words/posts. Is there a google earth/map surface view of the property that goes along with the satellite view? That way, everyone who is interested could see the local environment and remove, at least, a little of the "guess" factor.

Chum lee

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
ro_sie wrote:
From a womans point of view. I would leave it. We built a steel building for our MoHO. It has a concrete pad and is large enough for a 41 ft with all the slides out and still lots of room for storage. I live on several acres and recently someone bought the closest house to me that also has acerage. the new owners are building a huge garage on their property. The man is into race cars and builds them. another house close to me is up for sale, a couple of acres, and people are fighting over it. A bidding war is happening, because they all want the extra land to build another structure on. Yeah, keep that building standing. Its easy to remove it if it is unwanted.
Barns and garages are very different than carports. And the construction of a carport will not lend itself to conversion to a true garage. To me, carports are the above ground swimming pools of vehicle shelters. They sort of work, but they aren't ever going to be a positive focal point.

Carports in Montana vs carports in Florida are somewhat different animals. It doesn't take much to provide shelter in Florida from the almost daily summer rains and or sun and the winters are mild enough to just want to keep the frost off of the windshield. Carport in Montana not nearly as functional.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you in FL... looking for a place possibly if close east coast.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
From the OP: Thanks to all! Consensus is clearly to leave it...and I'll take that advice. Again, thanks...
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well,
As you can see and read, there's all kinds of opinions. Who cares whether or not this is the right or wrong place to post this type of question. You asked and, you got answers, period. The really short of it is, whether or not you installed the cover or not, or poured the slab or not, will not make any difference in your sale. Your house, its condition, its age, where you live, the type of community, whether or not there are schools nearby, crime rate, and all kinds of other variables will attract or, not attract a given set of buyers.

Some will see the carport as a great advantage and some maybe not so. I'd not even consider even thinking about removing it. If a set of buyers likes the house and is willing to put in an offer, but really doesn't like the carport or sees no value in it, that's THEIR PROBLEM, not yours. It's the same with a pool. Some see a pool as a great hindrance and added monthly cost while others, really embrace the value of a pool and are glad it's already in place so they don't have to add one. But, it's the buyers choice. If you don't want a pool, DON'T BUY THE HOUSE, it's not rocket science.

If a carport for a motorhome, WITH A SLAB, is a turn-off for potential buyers, then there's two answers. One, DON'T BUY THE HOUSE!! Or two, buy the house and TEAR IT DOWN!!! This is not a life or death situation. It's a carport for a motorhome.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
From a womans point of view. I would leave it. We built a steel building for our MoHO. It has a concrete pad and is large enough for a 41 ft with all the slides out and still lots of room for storage. I live on several acres and recently someone bought the closest house to me that also has acerage. the new owners are building a huge garage on their property. The man is into race cars and builds them. another house close to me is up for sale, a couple of acres, and people are fighting over it. A bidding war is happening, because they all want the extra land to build another structure on. Yeah, keep that building standing. Its easy to remove it if it is unwanted.
Barns and garages are very different than carports. And the construction of a carport will not lend itself to conversion to a true garage. To me, carports are the above ground swimming pools of vehicle shelters. They sort of work, but they aren't ever going to be a positive focal point.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
The concrete pad will always be an asset, sort of like a patio. The cover will depend on it's condition and usefulness to a potential buyer. That would be easy to remove and dispose of. Having owned my own real estate office for almost 20 years with 22 agents working for me, I say leave it alone. Your potential buyers will thank you.....Dennis
You are the expert, but to me, a concrete pad in the middle of the yard is an eyesore at best. You are also assuming it is level to the ground, not always the case with a pad poured specfically for a garage foundation. While I agree in principle with leaving it, it still comes down to the neighborhood and the condition/construction. I think you would agree that the best source of information as to it's value and desirability in the poster's market would come from the local real estate professionals, not a RV forum.

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that IF it looks decent and quality, leave it up.

I looked at a house once, they showed me the garage and in the middle was a very very poorly built set of plywood walls. They said they put up the "room" for an exchange student and left it up for the new buyer. It looked awful! No insulation (literally single thickness 1/2" plywood walls) anywhere. Washer and dryer were out there and there was no room to use them without hitting the walls. No room for storage or a vehicle. Needless to say, they didn't sell their house for what they thought it was worth.

So, make sure it's clean, well built, and doesn't look like a garbage pile and it's an asset. If it looks like c rap get rid of it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
The concrete pad will always be an asset, sort of like a patio. The cover will depend on it's condition and usefulness to a potential buyer. That would be easy to remove and dispose of. Having owned my own real estate office for almost 20 years with 22 agents working for me, I say leave it alone. Your potential buyers will thank you.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I would make sure it is "presentable", and leave it alone.
If a buyer wants it gone, HE can have it removed, and deal with the concrete pad.
There simply is no way you can make your house perfect for everybody. Don't even try!
Two days of labor to remove the canopy and framing, a couple of more days to remove the concrete. Preparing the ground, installing irrigation if necessary, resodding, another couple of days. Materials, labor costs, disposal and hauling fees probably approaching $10,000 for the non do it yourselfer. Add in the hassle, I would be looking for $20k off the price on a similar home without the carport should I want it gone. On a million dollar property, not significant. On a $200k property, it is ten percent off the top. That is likely to be a big deal.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
As a contractor, it is a 2-3 day job to remove it, IF the new buyers don't want it.
I'd leave it as is because I think you will find more buyers that could find a use for it than those that would want it removed.

x2. More will see it as an asset.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Y-Guy
I completely agree with what valhalla360 said, if it looks professional and that isn't not going to fall down, I'd leave it. Around my neck of the woods RV/Boat parking is a premium and pads and outbuildings are n demand.

I am assuming it was built to code, with your known weather issues if it's not then I'd get rid of the cover.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon