cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

above ground holding tank

Stevesmith812
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of becoming a seasonal camper at a park that uses 300 gallon above ground tanks slid under the RV. They will come a pump it out as required for $20.00 a pop. Has anybody done this before and if so how does it work??? Does there need to be some sort of alarm system in the exterior tank or do you just rely on the internal system.

Steve
19 REPLIES 19

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year we work camped at a state park because of its proximity to a flood zone did not have a septic system for the host. Instead they had a plastic tank that we dumped into. They arranged for a septic pumping company to come out weekly to pump us out. Usually we were around 300-350 gallons each week. We showered and did all out laundry with no problems.

Stevesmith812
Explorer
Explorer
There was a study I read on the average liquid use in an RV and it stated it was 27 gallons a day. Assuming 30 gallons a day and the average seasonal uses their site every weekend and two weeks during the season my math is about 50-60 days for a 6 month Minnesota season. 60x30=1800 1800/300 = 6 6x$20 = $120.00 for the season.

I know that when I am dry camping I can make my internal 60 gallon grey water tank last 3 days.

Really just looking to see if anybody thinks this is

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to see how this would work. Some DP motorhomes sit pretty close to the ground when the air is dumped and a holding tank would have to be pretty thin to fit underneath. I see no problem with trailers and 5th wheels.
BTW, I have stayed at places that charge $20 or more just pump the regular tanks on a RV.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
First thing that occurs to me is to wonder how fast that puppy will fill up. I've been involved in some sewer planning projects, and average water use in a residential setting is assumed to be 125 gallons per person per day! Most of which goes down the drain, of course.

I s'pose RV use might be a little lower than that, depending on appliances etc, but still- at $20.00 a pump it won't take long to make your sticks-n-bricks sewer bill look like chump change.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
I have not seen that but I would let trailer tanks fill like normal. About once every 3-4 days depending on use I would open trailer valves and transfer to campground tank. This will allow you to watch what happens and be in control of the valves in case tank starts getting too full. This also allows you to be in charge of how often they pump and charge you $20.00. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3