cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Actual Hitch Weight vs Dry Hitch Weight

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently looking at a lighter TT. I'm concerned with hitch weight right now on my Ram 1500. My towing capacity is fine (10,050lbs). I'm looking at TTs with a dry hitch weight between 515-600lbs. What's a good total hitch weight estimate? I assume 100lbs would be added with a WDH. Thanks.
TT - 2015 Keystone Passport 2810BH

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension
46 REPLIES 46

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update. I bought a Passport 2810BH. I loaded it up with everything for camping last night, with the exception of a couple of food items. Here are my weights:

Claimed dry hitch weight: 565 lbs
Hitch weight when I got it home: ~620 lbs
Hitch weight loaded for camping: ~670 lbs

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha! Should be able to make that work I would say.

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
I know the actual weight of truck with tools, running boards, etc. It's 5780. That leaves me 1120 for payload.

I plan on getting something under 6000 lbs.Looking at dry of 4500-5000. Hitch weight would be 690-750.

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
With 1100 lbs payload a 1000 lb hitch weight + 75 for the hitch will put you over the GVWR for sure, unless you camp alone or the others come in a separate vehicle. I tried that game with my ram with 1015 payload, by the time the truck was loaded for camping including the hitch I had 300 lbs of room under the GVWR. Either we pack way differently or you are not being honest with yourself about your expectations of the truck. Do you have running boards or a box cover? Those count too, a socket set under the back seat, it adds up quick. How many people do you camp with?

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
I will be right at GVWR with full TW (with about 1000 lbs of gear in the trailer). I'll be way under GCWR and under GAWR. With the new J2807 standard, Ram went up in payload (other 2 went down). Basically the same truck in 2015 went up 100-150 lbs on the payload.

Hunterred
Explorer
Explorer
You should not consider the WD hitch as effective in moving the weight to keep you under your GVWR of the truck. Realistically by the time you get a trailer that close, outfit it and hook it up, you will be over. Also they don't transfer as much weight to the trailer as you would think, and the longer the trailer, the less it will transfer. Use the transfer amount as your buffer, fill to GVWR and when you apply the WD it will move you ever so slightly away from it. My guess if you require your WD to get you by, you will not be under your GVWR. If you looking to just be close, over a bit is ok, then this becomes a moot point, just get what you like and don't worry about what me or him or anyone else says you should do.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In short 1100 pounds payload is not sufficient for RV towing. Your TV is marginal at best as it pertains to RV towing. In the end your selection of trailers will be limited.
Beware of the upgrade game. Starting out with a marginal TV sets up the scenario for continual upgrades to get it right. Upgrades are costly. Try to get it right the first time.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
mfifield01 wrote:
I realize that. It will reduce tongue weight. The percentage is debatable (and will vary).

As others have correctly stated a WDH system DOES NOT CHANGE OR REDUCE THE TONGUE WT. It will however, change how much tongue wt. is carried by the TV. This change is the amount of TW that the WDH redistributes to the TT axles and thus it will increase the payload available for the TV by that same amount over not using a WDH system.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mfifield01 wrote:
I realize that. It will reduce tongue weight. The percentage is debatable (and will vary).

no tongue weight is tongue weight. A WD hitch does NOT repeat after me does NOT change tongue weight. A WD hitch shifts (moves) weight from the tv rear axle to the tv front axle and trailer axles. it does NOT change the tongue weight. If the rear axle weight goes down by say 1000lbs, then the tv front axle and trailer axles loads will go up by a combined 1000lbs. how much to each axles is dependent on the setup geometry, wheelbase of the TV, length and axle location of the trailer, bar lengths, and a few other things. somewhat hard to calculate, but easy to measure on a scale.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^ by definition, it does not change tongue weight either. Tongue weight is whatever it is. We can measure tongue weight with the trailer sitting here in the driveway, and the truck in Timbuktu....and the TW is what it is.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
mfifield01 wrote:

But reducing tongue weight does not reduce your overall payload. It simply transfers some weight from the rear axle to the front axle. But payload is payload, whether it is the front axle or the rear axle.

And if I understand correctly, tongue weight isn't your issue, it's overall payload. If I misunderstood, sorry about that.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
mfifield01 wrote:
I got it weighed today. Actually weighed it without a slip for free. It was 5780 with random stuff in it (Larger tire wrench, ratchet straps, some tools, tarps, 30' tow strap, bungees, etc.). So I have 1020 lbs for payload. With a WDH, I think I'll be right on the payload. Without I could be over. Just depends on the TT I get and how much stuff we put it in.

"So I have 1020 lbs for payload. With a WDH, I think I'll be right on the payload. Without I could be over...." The way you've stated it here, you believe that your WDH increases your payload? This is not correct! A WDH does NOT increase your payload. Nothing you can add on increases that payload figure.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clearly you are doing a little bit better than me on the payload then... that's not a bad scale weight given the 1100lb door sticker... ๐Ÿ˜„

Estimating 13% of trailer GVW for tongue weight I'd say you should be able to fit into something around 6000 GVWR - maybe 6500 if you keep an eye on how you pack things both in the trailer and the truck. That should open up a few more options than the 4000-4500lb and below offerings. Let us know what you come up with :B
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension