cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice for a newbie

Mroma23
Explorer
Explorer
So in August, sorta of on a whim i bought a 2018 Gulf Stream Friendship 275FBG (29'10") Trailer. The trailer was barely used at all, and our family is really excited to use it. My current truck is a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500, rated to pull 9400lbs and a payload of 1710lbs. If my math works it should be plenty of truck, but would like a second opinion or two. Tongue weight is 690lbs, figured another 100 for Husky Center line setup and 135lbs for fuel, should leave in the 800lb range for me my wife and 4 and 7 year old kids. We all add up to around 450 so think that leaves some room but not a lot for stuff in the truck. The trailer dry weighs 4738 and caps out at 7700lbs. I never plan on towing fully loaded (water tanks and such), but just curious if i am figuring this out right.

I towed it 80miles one way already felt good on highway and did not get blown around. It felt good actually and a couple times I looked in the rear view and forgot it was there.

Any Advice or tips would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
That 690 lbs hitch weight is the dry hitch weight. The real hitch weight will be closer to 825 - 850 lbs when it's all loaded up ready to go camping (even without water). Other than that, all said and done you're still fine - go camping and enjoy.

Mroma23
Explorer
Explorer
By "such" i meant sewer and gray water. As far as dry camping idk how much i will do that this year.

Thanks for the input

Mroma23
Explorer
Explorer
By "such" i meant sewer and gray water. As far as dry camping idk how much i will do that this year.

Thanks for the input

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
You own the trailer and the truck, right? Go weigh them!

Here are the instructions:
https://learntorv.com/how-to-weigh-a-travel-trailer/

And once you have the 3 weights, plug them into this calculator:

http://www.towingplanner.com/ActualWeights/TravelTrailerCatScales
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Take the fuel out of your calculation. Truck fuel is already included in the payload calculation.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
A full tank of gasoline is included without subtracting from payload. IMO you are within specs. However, traveling the West without a full tank of fresh water eliminates lots of beautiful dry campsites. Whatโ€™s โ€œsuch?โ€ So when you do arrive at a campsite with water you want to spend three or four hours sanitizing you fresh water tank? Not fun.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad