cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

advice on weight /sway please

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, sorry for the long post. My GF and I have decided to upgrade to a larger TT. 90-95 percent of the time there will only be 2 of us.

Currently towing with a 2013 F150 Ecoboost crew cab. Payload about 1400 lbs. Not interested in changing trucks. We carry 2 kayaks and 2 folding bikes on/in the f150, not much else.

We currently have a Coachmen Apex ultra lite TT and have been very pleased with it. We have a WD hitch and current TT tows fine. We are looking to upgrade in the Apex line.

We are installing new LT tires ( not sure what brand yet ) and Bilstein 5100 shocks in the next 30 days.

So here are the campers:

Current Apex214rb
base weight 4111
hitch weight461
length 24'6" with tongue (box about 21'6")

choice 1 Apex 249RBS
base weight 4770
hitch weight480
length 28'3" with tongue (box about 25'3")

choice 2 Apex 279RLSS
base weight 5490
hitch weight 620
length 31' with tongue ( box about 28')

According to Apex UVW is average weight leaving factory and includes lp gas but not dealer added items of course. There really aren't many options, most items are standard, so weights are pretty close.
We travel fairly light. As weighed on a scale previously about 1000lbs of stuff.

I feel choice 1 is no issue, opinions appreciated.

My concern is with the length and sway with choice 2 and I know the payload is very close with this choice.

Anyone towing a similar TT with the Ecoboost?

Anyone own TT choice #1 or #2? reviews please?

Opinions on these choices as to sway, payload, etc.

BTW we are leaning to #1 because I like to tow conservatively, but there is not much difference in price and #2 does have a couple of chairs we like and obviously more room.

Decisions, Decisions, thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:

If you experience sway, and have tried the standard methods of controlling it (anti-sway bar on the hitch and load distribution), you can always install a decent rear sway bar on the truck.

A rear sway bar on the truck does nothing for trailer sway. It's actually an "anti-roll bar" to keep the truck chassis from leaning in turns. A huge help for carrying cabover campers in the truck bed but not related to trailer sway.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

BeatCJ
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love my Nokian Rotiva AT. Very Satisfied, my wife is on her 3rd set on her Subaru, one set of Snow Tires that are about to go back on, and her second set of all season tires.

Rotiiva AT

At work we have several sets of Kumhos and a set of Michelins on various DRW 19.5s, I would be fine with either. I also have had very good luck with BFG AT KOs on my work pickup.

I will replace those with Nokians if I don't replace the truck first.
Gordon
Now
2001 GMC 3500 DRW, Duramax
2021 Outdoors RV 250RDS
Old
1987 F-350 XLT Lariat SRW 6.9
1986 Western Wilderness Alpine Dinette 11

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to go with the 249rbs. Shorter and lighter. Hopefully less stress!!

Now can someone recommend a LT tire for the f150 in this situation? Stock tires are Wrangler Goodyear P275/65R18. They have about 39000 on them, some decent tread left but thinking I might change them out now. We live on NC coast so no snow and no off roading. Want a street type tread.

Thanks

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the double post. I thought it was enough different to qualify as a separate post.

In answer to one question, we are using a e2 trunnion style hitch which has sway protection.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
riven1950 wrote:

choice 1 Apex 249RBS
base weight 4770
hitch weight480
length 28'3" with tongue (box about 25'3")

choice 2 Apex 279RLSS
base weight 5490
hitch weight 620
length 31' with tongue ( box about 28')

Hi again Riven,

I did not see this post when I responded to your other. The 249RBS 249RBSwill fit your truck much better and leaving you breathing room. The 279RLSS like my other reply said, it going to tax your truck beyond the limits. The 269RBSS is going to push it too you listed in the other post. The 249RBS is a much better choice.

Making the jump to the longer TT, you will need a good WD hitch with a good anti sway control. You are now beyond a single friction bar in the 28" and up range if that is what you have.

Hope this helps and good luck

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
What kind of WD do you have and does it have sway control?
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get either one you like the best. That kind of weight wouldn't bother me at all.

For me personally, bigger has always been better.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a similar setup as what you have now, and have towed a 28' once for a friend. That 28' towed better than my FunFinder 215. That was due to more tongue weight, the FunFinder is very light in the front due to the rear kitchen. Your plan to move to LT tires and B5100 shocks is very wise. The weak point in the whole system are those very flexible P rated tires. You didn't mention what wheelbase you have on your F150 CC. The longer wheelbase (with 6.5' bed) is better, but the shorter WB (with 5.5' bed) will do OK.

If you experience sway, and have tried the standard methods of controlling it (anti-sway bar on the hitch and load distribution), you can always install a decent rear sway bar on the truck. I also put Timbrens on my F150, but don't really need them when towing with a weight-distribution hitch. They help a LOT though if I put a heavy load in the bed.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Probably ok with either. My choice for the 2 people would be the rear lounge floor plan with the 2 recliners.

A rough rule of thumb is the find 13% (.13) of the GVWR of the trailer. This will give you a rough tongue weight to subtract from your truck's payload allowance.

Good luck with your choice.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go for the 249RBS although I don't think you would have a problem with either one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine