cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aftermarket Warranties?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Who offers the most competitive and comprehensive aftermarket warranty program? Just shopping.
20 REPLIES 20

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
95jersey wrote:
It is not new (2017), hence why I am looking at aftermarket warranty. Also I am thinking 2 years basic for $500 bucks from Good Sam. Also, please this is NOT a debate on IF I need or SHOULD I get a warranty.

The question is WHO offers competitive reliable warranty packages?

YOU need to call your local RV dealers and ask this question (like I did when we bought our motorhome). I think you'll find everyone will like "their" extended warranty plan and will not like any others as too "fussy" - getting approval takes too long, etc. My opinion, after doing some checking, was that we had a snowball's chance in the Hot Place of being on the road and finding someone who would honor the plan we bought and actually get us service within a timely manner. So we passed, and self-funded our repairs. Which were minimal (and under a warranty situation would have been denied due to operator error anyway)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
...The question is WHO offers competitive reliable warranty packages?

No one.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Only a manufacturer can 'warrant' a product. Anything else is an insurance policy with lots of loopholes.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll add this: Some folks have them and claim to already be money ahead, others have them for the life of the contract and never use it, and still others that have one have just about all their claims denied for one reason or another.
If you're set on getting one, put the names of all the different ones into a hat and draw one, have just about as good a chance of getting a good one as you would from someone here.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
I'll give you an example of what those extended service warranties do: Most require you to have dealer maintenance or they will deny a claim. The maintenance is typically having the dealer do wheel bearings, lube slides, caulk the roof, etc. These are all separate of the warranty and you must pay the dealer for these maintenance tasks, typically of a cost of at least $200-$400 each time. How many times will you pay for maintenance before it equals your cost of the contract? These are all things you can do yourself. So, to answer your question of which one is best, YOU. We are all trying to save you headaches but if you do get one, I hope it works out good for you.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
95jersey wrote:
It is not new (2017), hence why I am looking at aftermarket warranty. Also I am thinking 2 years basic for $500 bucks from Good Sam. Also, please this is NOT a debate on IF I need or SHOULD I get a warranty.

I will actually answer your question regarding Good Sam since you mentioned them... DON"T!

This Forum and every other RV Forum are full of horror stories usually starring GS. I agree with the majority here that these so called after market warranties are just a little less than useless no matter who issues them. I know you want them to be your salvation but no such product or company exists {as far as I know}.

The best advice you have gotten {multiple times} is to put the price of the warranty into the bank, CD, money market account {whatever} and hope you never need it.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œThis is not a motorcoach. It is a travel trailer and I am concerned about pumps, electric motors, appliances, AC, refrigerator, awning, inverter, etc. โ€

Why different MH vs. TT pumps etc.?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
well ok I,ll answer your question, NOBODY all warrenties are rip off,s they don,t cover very much ,read the contract a couple times before you buy.

X2

And they are NOT warranties...only OEM can offer a warranty

EVERYTHING else is a "Service Contract"

And just like Insurance Companies..they stay in business/make a profit by collecting premiums and limiting what they paying out on claims

Find the 'exclusions' section of contract and READ it in full
Find the 'requirements' section of contract and READ it in full
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:

I think the majority of replies are negative on having them in the first place. You're right about your original question not being directly answered, and I get your frustration, but I think the answer lies "between the lines" in this case. Or not, if you happen to be midnightsadie. :B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
well ok I,ll answer your question, NOBODY all warrenties are rip off,s they don,t cover very much ,read the contract a couple times before you buy.

Helimech
Explorer
Explorer
Self Insure

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
This is not a motorcoach. It is a travel trailer and I am concerned about pumps, electric motors, appliances, AC, refrigerator, awning, inverter, etc.

Most appliances have 2 year warranties... The trailer should be 1 year from the dealer. Unless makes like jayco that have a 2 year.

I did all my own RV repairs the first year as I didnt want the dealer to hack job it up...

Bearings all loose when checked from trip back from florida.
Trap not hooked up, brand new, flooded bathroom
Tank monitor panel light for water heater faulty
Piece of wood and garbage found in underbelly. had to cut it out
Main 12v wire to batteries from converter, pinched on frame and had intermittent short while driving...

Furnace still goes off on overheat thermister because of oversized unit. 30k btu in a little 26ft trailer.20k would be plenty big..

Screw heads on roof, about 12 of them, not fully caulked...

Etc etc.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
stop worrying,if it breaks call a mobil tech ,smarter, cheaper, faster, and they come to you, and most times you get to watch and learn.