cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air bag suspension for trucks question

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question on air bag suspension for my used Diesel F250 Super Duty truck.

I will be towing a three horse, living quarter trailer, gooseneck for the first time this year. Approx weight, no more than 12,000, most likely about 10,000 lbs.

Someone mentioned I need an air bag suspension and someone else said I didn't.

I'm not even sure what all they do, make a softer ride? Like shocks on a vehicle? Keep the gooseneck weight coming down so far?

Good idea to have them? And if so, which one is best, or the the best ones at the most reasonable price?

Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Inthecountry wrote:
OK, now I'm confused, some are saying air bags are not correct, that they are air springs, but some are saying air bags. Are they one and the same?

Yes, one and the same in this context. Common mis-usage calls them "air bags", although their actual name and function is "air springs". Unless the context is clear, calling them "air bags" can be mistaken for a reference to the safety devices that jump out of your steering wheel and/or dash when you use a tree to stop your vehicle instead of the brakes. Or politicians running for office... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Not necessarily true.

I was pulling a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel with my 2001 Dodge Cummins dually. All weights were well within my trucks GVWR, GCVWR, etc. However, while the truck didn't drop enough in the rear to put the lights in the trees, it did make for a rough ride. The air bags got it off the overloads and smoothed things out tremendously. Perhaps just some tired springs, I don't know, but I do know that it worked for me.

Wow, you must have got the weak spring package!!
We tow with a 2001 2500 with Camper Package, and carry an 11,000# 5er, and don't get to the upper overloads, pin is at 2,200# +/-.

You should have installed some Bilstein's!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not necessarily true.

I was pulling a 10,000 lb. 5th wheel with my 2001 Dodge Cummins dually. All weights were well within my trucks GVWR, GCVWR, etc. However, while the truck didn't drop enough in the rear to put the lights in the trees, it did make for a rough ride. The air bags got it off the overloads and smoothed things out tremendously. Perhaps just some tired springs, I don't know, but I do know that it worked for me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
If you need airbags, you don't have enough truck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have no idea what the correct term is but I call them air bags since that is really what they are. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have some on my 2001 Dodge dually. I'm right at the limit of my capacity with my toyhauler, but actually installed them when I had a smaller, lighter 5th wheel. I run about 50 psi which is just enough to get the load off the overload springs and smooth out the ride about 10,000 percent. It's only an inch or two, but it makes all the difference in the world. I have the Firestone but not the onboard compressor.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Firestone air bags(springs)(on the same truck), with a compressor and in-dash gauge. If you are near weight capacity loaded, these bags will keep the truck rear-end even. Ford says it also increases load capacity to a F350. Make sure you get the air distribution equalizer. It helps sway. If you are hauling animals this helps. An added benefit is when not loaded, you can reduce air pressure to about 10 lbs. and get a softer ride than you would with an F350. Another bene. is the Firestone bags attach using existing holes.(no drilling)
Big Bird 2

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
OK, now I'm confused, some are saying air bags are not correct, that they are air springs, but some are saying air bags. Are they one and the same?

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:
Those that say you cannot use them to increase your weight are correct. However, they make a hell of difference in how well that weight is handled.

And...it's nice if you tow at night and you can level the truck to keep others from thinking your bright headlights are always on!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I can tell you I had airbags on my 2007 Cambria Class C. It made all the difference in the world when they were inflated properly. Proper inflation depends on how much weight is involved. With out the Air bags the rig was a bad handler. With 55 psi it handled like a dream. Those that say you cannot use them to increase your weight are correct. However, they make a hell of difference in how well that weight is handled.

Inthecountry
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. This is what comes up, still unsure about which one they are suggesting, but, can call and talk with them when they are open:

FordF-2501999 to 2004 4WD4x4In-bed Hitch
Pickup Truck Over 8500 GVWR
Air Leveling
Front
RideRite 2223 - install manual
2 Hours
Spring: W21-760-6762
Rear
RideRite 2550 - install manual
No Drill Kit
Spring: W21-760-6401
Hybrid Suspension System
Rear
WorkRite 8613 - install manual
1 Hour
No Drill Kit
Suggested Air Accessory
Heavy Duty Air-Rite Air Control Systems

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might find this link helpful in understanding what benefits air springs provide. There's a bit of hype for their particular product there as well, but the basic facts are correct. As it happens, Firestone's Ride-Rite air springs are the ones I use and recommend when called for.
Dutch

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is is not air bagmsuspension. It is air bags plane and simple. Rear air bags help level a loaded truck out when it is at or over its capacity to safely handle a load. They do not increade a trucks load carrying capacity. Depending on age and configuration, and passangers you may be OK or overloaded.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
They increase the spring capacity to help keep the rear end from sagging under the load and improve handling under load. Technically, they're called "air springs", not "air bags". Properly inflated, they do make a difference on many setups. Without more specifics, there's no way to say how much they might help your setup.
Dutch