cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Weight Distribution Hitch

Bendder
Explorer
Explorer
OK so here goes. I thought this would be the most likely place to post this because it directly relates to hitches trailer and towing. I was wondering, what if, a weight distribution system was to use an air bag instead of the typical spring bars. The system would still function in the same sort of way as a typical spring bar set up but instead of having snap up brackets it would use a frame mounted air bag nestled in the V of the trailer. So what is the difference? well I was thinking that there would no longer be the need for a big pry bar and leveling up could be done with the flick of a switch. Thoughts?? Yes I know that it would need a compressor but for those who have the needed equipment I though, what the heck.

This is just an idea but I thought I would through it out there. Very crude Diagram below.

Mark

2011 F150 SCrew Ecoboost max tow max payload
2013 Cougar High Country 329TSB
6 REPLIES 6

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How would you allow it to pivot with the spring bars, or would you still run the chains?

Otherwise it`s an interesting idea!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest problem your going to run into is stuff mounted on the tongue of the trailer.
The way I see it in my head you'll have one mount that will bolt solid to the frame to hold the air bag. Than you'll have another mount that will more or less float. This mount the air bag will push up against and it will also pull ur bars up. This top plate will be the hold width of the toung. Most travel trailers might not have the room for it.
But a cargo trailer could be handy.
Neat idea.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I don't see that it would transfer any weight forward. :?

Ventureman
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm that's a thinker! If it were feasible/practical someone probably would have already done it, but I like the idea. It will be on my list of things to think about in "my office!" if you know what I mean!

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
So the air bag would be under the bars to lift up on them?

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea. How would you get lift? What about turning?