cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen Hitch Co.owner defaces Arches NP.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I just read some horrible articles about Andersen Hitch company owner carving initials in Arch at Arches Nation Park.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400
35 REPLIES 35

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. I have an Anderson Hitch for another purpose, but won't buy ANYTHING else from them again after this. There are other options. Defacing National Parks is not okay and is directly relevant to their business. As with most apologies, I interpret it more as "I'm sorry I did this and got caught" than "I'm sorry I did this."
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
this is like the 15 yr old boy who thought it was cool and laughed when he threw a fire cracker in the woods while on a hike in the Columbia river gorge last year. and burned up many homes and lots of timber. we heard he went into court but we don't know what happened to him.

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
He's only sorry because he got caught. It's hard for me to comprendend someone who is supposed to be smart, yet is dumb enough to do something like that.

Of course, being smart in one area doesn't mean being smart in another.

Or he could just be a jackass who believes since he's rich, he can do what he likes. Rules don't apply to him.

He should be made an example of by the courts, but I'd be willing to bet he walks with a mere slap on the wrist.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I love the self-serving language in the โ€œapologyโ€ where he has pledged to pay the BLM cost of fixing it. Phrased as if it was his voluntary good citizen idea to step up with such a generous offer.

I remember in 2011 when we took the easy Colorado River raft trip beneath the Glen Canyon Dam to Leeโ€™s Ferry. The boatmen pulled over for a break near some petroglyphs you could walk to see. Earlier that summer, some bird-brain from North Carolina defaced a panel...got caught before he got off the river...and was fined $10,000 to repair the damage, plus community service.

Found a link to that episode

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If I were a judge I would give him a tooth brush and tell him to erase the carvings. well alright then, some sand paper might work. how do I send back and get a refund from the Anderson leveling kit I bought

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wasn't there fairly recently a young lady who painted over hieroglyphics in the SW USA. IIRC she was required to spend many hours cleaning up etc.
bumpy

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
What a stupid, oblivious thing to do! I hope they fine him the maximum. Or make him pay for $100,000 of public service ads teaching people to know better.
I like this "public service" oriented solution. You can teach the person a lesson without ruining them and their family and maybe prevent future occurrences. MAYBE
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
evanrem wrote:
Here is his letter of apology and a place to offer public comments below. I think if you really want to get the word out head to Amazon and start posting some reviews with this information in it.

leave him a note

The leave a note website is run by a PR firm and the responses are not from him but canned remarks. It will be informative to see how he handles the court case when it comes up. :W
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
What a stupid, oblivious thing to do! I hope they fine him the maximum. Or make him pay for $100,000 of public service ads teaching people to know better.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
https://idahostatejournal.com/members/idaho-falls-family-facing-backlash-for-reportedly-defacing-cor...

So from this report ...

"Federal law makes it a federal Class A misdemeanor to โ€œwillfully deface, disturb, remove or destroy any personal property, or structures, or any scientific, cultural, archaeological or historic resource, natural object or areaโ€ on public lands. The maximum penalty for such a violation is a $100,000 fine and one year in prison."

What are the chances? :R

The last couple of years I've been considering replacing my Reese hitch with an Andersen, mostly because I'm not getting any younger and the Andersen is the lightest in weight by far, would be much easier to handle. Not gonna happen now because even as a Canadian I don't see myself supporting someone who would deface a national treasure like this. :M
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is his letter of apology and a place to offer public comments below. I think if you really want to get the word out head to Amazon and start posting some reviews with this information in it.

leave him a note

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody is sorry when they get caught. I doubt it will impact his business measurably but it was a douche move.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Possibility of taking a major hit on profits has a way of bringing out "heartfelt" apologies.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
But he wrote a "heartfelt" letter of apology. But of course that was after all of it was brought to the general public's attention. 'Spose he would have done that if he hadn't been caught in flagrante?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"