Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andersen hitches question

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I’m looking for information from those who use Andersen WD hitches to pull a 3,500 tt.
I presently use an E-2 setup, which works fine, however, the weight of it is getting to be a burden, and I want something reliable and lighter..
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Steve
13 REPLIES 13

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll do fine with that weight.

I have a 6,000 lb TT and don't feel the Andersen does enough weight distribution. I've read other threads where the 100% happy Andersen owners had 3/4 ton TV's, so it wasn't as essential as it is with lighter duty TV's.

I love how easy it is to hook up and my wife can get us fully ready to go if needed. I think it is OK on sway, and it got better when I added a bracket where the hitch goes into the receiver to take out some of the slop.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your info and tips...
Steve

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
greydog wrote:
I bought an Andersen hitch with our K-Z 251RK trailer but have not picked it up yet. I can see changes I might want to make to the trailer brackets but apart from that, I'm adopting a "wait and see" stance. One thing, people say no grease is necessary but if one is spending much time on rough or uneven roads, I think it would be beneficial to grease the ball. There is some movement (up and down and a swivelling movement) and where there is movement, there is wear. We tow with a 3500 Ram so weight distribution is not a huge issue. GD

Agree 100%. I have greased the ball since the first time we used the hitch and continue doing so. There may not be any movement when turning, but as you say, uneven roads and bouncing will still cause the ball to swivel.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will get more responses in the "Towing" section.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an Andersen hitch with our K-Z 251RK trailer but have not picked it up yet. I can see changes I might want to make to the trailer brackets but apart from that, I'm adopting a "wait and see" stance. One thing, people say no grease is necessary but if one is spending much time on rough or uneven roads, I think it would be beneficial to grease the ball. There is some movement (up and down and a swivelling movement) and where there is movement, there is wear. We tow with a 3500 Ram so weight distribution is not a huge issue. GD

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve 911 wrote:
Hi all,
I’m looking for information from those who use Andersen WD hitches to pull a 3,500 tt.
I presently use an E-2 setup, which works fine, however, the weight of it is getting to be a burden, and I want something reliable and lighter..
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Steve

The Anderson would be perfect for that size trailer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your information. Very helpful...
Steve

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I've been using it over 4 years on our 5,000 lb camper. Works great, easy to set up and no issues.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide on a Andersen WDH you won't be sorry. It's a lot lighter then the Reese WDH. And once you get it installed and setup correctly you'll be a happy camper. Now! Here's a little tip. When you go to hitching up your trailer on the ball, do not let all the weight onto the ball. Hock up the chains and tighten them up before dropping all the weight on the ball.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen worked great for me also. I had an adequate tow vehicle towing a 6,000 pound trailer. Quiet, clean, lightweight, takes care of the bounce and sway.

There might be some who have never owned one that don't like them on principle.

WillT
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly what msb1766 said.

We used it for 3 years on a Nash 17K, 7,000 lbs. Moved it to our new Nash 26N, 8,800 lbs. Works great on both to take out bounce and sway. It works well for WD also although because I have a 1 ton truck, there was not a lot of evidence of it doing much with the 17K. On the 26N when both gray and black tanks are full there is more tongue weight. The black tank is 100% in front of the TT axles and the gray tank is about 2/3 in front of them. But the setup does just fine with it. I do tighten the chains more with the 26N than I did with the 17K and so far so good. I would think from my experience that the Anderson may not be the best if you had a heavy TT and a small tow vehicle, but that would not be good for other reasons too. I found it easy to set up and use and easy to move from one TT to the other.
2001 F-350 4X4 V10 64,000 miles
2018 Nash 26N
2014 Nash 17K (Previous)

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using one for a long time time, I really like it, easy to hook up and adjust. Set up is straight forward as the instructions are good, Customer service is good.

It really takes out the bounce and no more noise or grease.

I bought a new camper and took it off the old camper and put it on the new camper and the new camper came with a WDH. That is how much I like it.

I use a 3/4" ratchet to adjust the large nuts.

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
I used one with a TT that was about 6-7k. I liked it a lot and would still be using it but we sold the trailer. It can be a pain to get set up initially but is pretty easy to use once it’s done. I would recommend a long handled ratchet to tighten the chains. If the tow vehicle is undersized, it isn’t great for sway control.