cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson Ultimate or Goose Box

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
Ive read the debate over and over discussing a traditional 5th wheel hitch IE (B&W Companion) vs and Anderson. I have decided since it is my money and my choice I would go with the Anderson. Im about to purchase a new 5th wheel and the dealer suggested the Goose Box. He didnt know much about the Anderson. Ive read about 1 unhappy guy here with a goose box. But it sounds like he hit a rather large pot hole. Does anyone else have any experience with a Goose Box. Opinions on whether to go with the anderson or goose box would be greatly appreciated. Will be towing with a 15 Ram 4wd 2500 6.5ft bed, trailer K-Z Durango 292BHT. I am also a little concerned with turning radius but it appears almost every new 5th wheel I have come across has a rounded front cap as does the durango. The Anderson comes with a 4" off set as part of the coupler. I think that would need to be added to the goose box if turning was an issue.

Thank for you opinions.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
With some of the **** Lippert turns out them "endorsing" something doesnt exactly give me the warm fuzzies.
Agreed. I've seen enough of Lippert's expert 'welding'. No thanks. In less than a week, I taught a 10 yr old girl to weld better than I've seen on some of their RV frames. Most of their 'welders' have no business holding a torch in their hands.

Maybe that is the problem with those welders........using a 'torch' to accomplish heavy penetrating welds
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
With some of the **** Lippert turns out them "endorsing" something doesnt exactly give me the warm fuzzies.
Agreed. I've seen enough of Lippert's expert 'welding'. No thanks. In less than a week, I taught a 10 yr old girl to weld better than I've seen on some of their RV frames. Most of their 'welders' have no business holding a torch in their hands.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz wrote:
I love my Andersen Ultimate gooseneck ball mount. I have no experience with the goose box.

And just to make sure there's no confusion: when people say "Andersen gooseneck ball mount," it IS NOT a gooseneck hitch or adapter. It's merely the way the Andersen hitch attaches to the bed of the truck - same as a B&W Companion hitch would. The Andersen Ultimate system - whether it is the model for the turnover ball mount or standard rail mount - is not a gooseneck hitch. The forces on the trailer pin box and frame are the same as those with a standard fifth wheel hitch.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Andersen Ultimate gooseneck ball mount. I have no experience with the goose box.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The goosebox still changes the forces exerted on the fifth wheel frame, just like a gooseneck adapter. Whether that's a big deal or not depends on who you ask. I'd personally use the Andersen, though.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
kc8yhk wrote:
I own a goosebox and installed it on our toy hauler. It works great, zero complaints. With the dual shock absorbers and air bag NOTHING moves inside the trailer while we are going down the road.
The trailer tows perfect.

The goosebox isn't an adapter, it's a complete pin box replacement, and it's endorsed by lippert so it won't void our trailer frame warranty. I called and asked myself.

The Reese GooseBox is "endorsed" by Lippert because the two companies have a financial relationship and Lippert pedals Reese's products. It has nothing to do with engineering.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

kc8yhk
Explorer
Explorer
I own a goosebox and installed it on our toy hauler. It works great, zero complaints. With the dual shock absorbers and air bag NOTHING moves inside the trailer while we are going down the road.
The trailer tows perfect.

The goosebox isn't an adapter, it's a complete pin box replacement, and it's endorsed by lippert so it won't void our trailer frame warranty. I called and asked myself.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Correct ....your trailer, your money, your choice

BUT why not use a goose-neck set up for goose-neck trailers
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd prefer the Anderson, over a gooseneck adapter. The Companion is still the best though.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear