cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any 4th of July camp experiences?

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since we didn't make it to a campground this year I miss all the people watching. Anyone have any experiences to share from there holiday trips?
58 REPLIES 58

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
certified106 wrote:
two male teens who were running in the girls bathrooms ripping open the shower curtains while women were showering. They called the ranger but it was just their word against the kids and nothing happened.!

My wife keeps bear spray for the predators. ;)Never mind if the doors don't lock, the dog and I stand guard outside the door.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

Sailordive
Explorer
Explorer
Spent the 4th in a gravel turnout on Hwy 101 in Oregon over looking the ocean. A little fog in the morning but a great view. The price was right at free and it was extremely quiet. My wife's favorite part was no campfire smoke to set off her Asthma.
2013 Sportsmobile Sprinter

certified106
Explorer
Explorer
We had no issues but I talked to some others at the other end of the park that we were camping at and they had some horrible riff raff running around. Kids ripping off their car door handle, pouring stuff in gas tanks, setting off fireworks under campers at 2 in the morning, turning off lights in the bath house and two male teens who were running in the girls bathrooms ripping open the shower curtains while women were showering. They called the ranger but it was just their word against the kids and nothing happened. The ranger had to drive through that section of the camp almost hourly to keep the little bastards from tearing the place apart. If it was me I would have kicked the whole lot of them out!!
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
Hypertech Tuner Running Stage 2
2013 Jayco 28BHS

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
2000-mile roundtrip from Illinois to Custer State Park, SD. Memorable moment--my not-yet-2 year old toddler, picking bird poop off the picnic table and eating it, then proceeding to immediately vomit all over the place. He was fine thereafter!
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I made a 200 mile trip and parked on some friend's old farm. Good views, food, and great discussions with them catching up on all the news over a few brews.

Last day I stopped at a State campground overnight on the way home. Reminded me of why I should stay away from public campgrounds on holiday weekends. Noise, drunks, garbage, etc.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

SubVet
Explorer
Explorer
We had a great time in West Forks, Maine. We squeezed my truck camper next to my mother-in-laws camp (the no plumbing style).

Lots of rain Friday night made for some great waterfall viewing.

We also spotted a moose and had a great campfire.

Some of the photos here are from the 4th weekend.
2014 Wolf Creek 840 on 2013 Ford F-350 Regular Cab
Frequently towing a modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
We visited friends at their W MN lake home. They have 50 acres with almost 1/4 mile lake frontage plus a peninsula. There were 16 RVs, 45 minutes of fireworks, a rock band, pontoon rides, six jet skis, corn hole tournaments, good laughs and cocktails. We came home happy and tired.

2Ambros
Explorer
Explorer
We had a great lake front site at a SP. There were alot of people there, but our site was fairly private and we never use the bath houses. A few rowdy boaters went by us a couple of times, but nothing really bad. We had a great weekend !
Just us & Molly the wonder-lab !
2014 Jayco Jay Flight Swift
2006 Ford F150 4x4
1988 Sierra Cobra, 'Griswald'

We are way too adventurous to be ordinary!

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Won't be traveling until knee heals, if then. We had a great time at home with most of the family here. I ate too much, just sampling a bite or two of about half that was prepared. The campground and camping areas around here were packed as were the lakes.
When we go on Holidays, we've learned to have reservations and which parks to go to. Everybody has their ideas of fun but unfortunately some have no manners nor restraint or consideration for others. Next time out we will camp, where the same family camps year after year. We have got to know them pretty well and we have a ball when we are at the campground. Frget about fishing. Not enough bare water for fish to come up. Visit family and they take up places they know to escape. Do a lot of "Antiquing" and have a ball.

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
I had a great trip. I camp as much as I can don't care what weekend it is. Holidays are nice because it gives us more nights.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

sacmarata
Explorer
Explorer
We kep track of new quotes we learn from listening to kids torment and tease each other.

We have a short list of favorites but our new favorite was from what looked like about a 6yr old boy in Charlestown Indiana State Park this past 4th of July weekend. He was on his bicycle, carrying a sharp stick and chasing another boy all the while yelling "Butt stab...stab you!"

They went round and round for about an hour and a half, the whole time chanting "butt stab...stab you!" Later in the evening...you guessed it "Butt stab...stab you!" for about another 45 mins! The next day...yup.

I still have it stuck in my head!

barbandwayne
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:
Ahh yes, major holiday camping. Lots of nice folks trying to enjoy themselves, mixed in with a small percentage of idiots who ruin the time for many.

Amen! 2 families up the hill from us, nice enough people, but about 10 pm they'd get rolling. Quiet time is 10-6. Well never mind that! They played their radio quite loudly, horseshoes with apparently metal stakes!, and hooped and hollered til after 1 am. I finally passed out, I don't know how long they went! The poor family with 2 small children in a tent behind us didn't sleep at all. Friday nite they were quiet and Sat nite they had movie nite but at about 11pm, the party picked up again. Horseshoes and all! If it had not been for the small children, I'd have made enough noise to raise the dead the next morning!!

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
It's interesting the number of complaints of rude neighbors at campgrounds and comments that we camp to for relaxation.

If that's the case why go to FHU campgrounds? Is Az unique with the amount of dispersed camping available? Get out of the campgrounds and get down some forest service roads and camp with nearest neighbor a 1/4 mile away. 1/2 of AZ is national forests and there for us to use. An amazing resource.

I went up to the rim country this weekend. About 7500 feet. No AC required daytime weather high 70's Night time High 50's and raining. Really needed it. Sat morning a quick ride to "town" for a parade. Road was lined with Razors and Rhinos for a couple miles. Parade was private citizens with decorated vehicles celebrating our independence. Some throwing candy to the kids. It was an old time parade and celebration.
Sat afternoon it was a Rhino ride up the mountain then a short walk to a forest service Fire Tower. Believe it or not open to the public. The walk up the tower stairs for this 60 year old at 7500 feet was a chore. It was an amazing view of my states forests. Even saw a small forest fire. Young lady and her dog man the station. she has goodie bags for any children that make the trek.
She lives in a trailer on site.

I have a 96 caribou TC and tow a 14' utility trailer with my Rhino. Joined a group of 4 friends with toy haulers. When I arrived They asked if I needed help setting up. My response was "I just put the truck in Park. I am set up" 1 of the reasons I bought the TC.

In short It was a great weekend and a reminder of what a great country we live in.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
We had a wonderful time camping over the 4th. We arrived Wednesday afternoon and left Sunday morning. Nice, quiet national park, absent the drama so many write of in this thread. The only negative thing I could say is I was surprised at the lack of flag displays in the campground. I would have thought that this holiday, more than any other, would bring out the flag wavers.

My wife forgot all of our stuff and I didn't think about it.. feel bad about it. Won't make the same mistake next year!
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Typically stay home but got a last minute reservation at a local lake. Must say had a great time. Walked ten steps to the shore and had a 180 degree view of fireworks. Alot of the boats also tied up on that shore.. rather scenic at times! Going to try reserving the same site next year.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)