cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are CB radios still used?

moparcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought my new motorhome (1994 Newmar). It has a factory CB radio in it. Was rather surprised, as CBs had long since faded away. However, in looking, I see that CBs are still options in even brand new motorhomes.

Are people still using these? I haven't used one in years.
1994 Newmar Kountry Star 34'
113 REPLIES 113

h2guy
Explorer
Explorer
Jarlaxle wrote:
Yes...call up the traffic on my phone's navigation, it will show EXACTLY where the backup is.

Only where those cameras are avail. Not in every city. Probably OK if you are always in the same area.
Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes...call up the traffic on my phone's navigation, it will show EXACTLY where the backup is.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We used our CB's a lot back in the late 70's. They were wonderful. When I was driving alone late at night, the truckers were my guardian angels on the highway. I'm forever indebted to those folks looking out for me and my faithful old Galaxie:) As time went on and we got newer vehicles, we just never installed the radios. Now I'm thinking we might want to go that route again with the MH. You just can't have too much good communication when you're out God-knows-where!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my CB saved my bacon again this PM. got into a bit of backup on the IS. was debating getting off and detouring, but talked to a trucker and the problem was a vehicle with highway patrol behind it on the shoulder a short distance ahead. stayed on IS and quickly got past it. and a cell phone would have known this?
bumpy

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperpaul wrote:
Pauljdav wrote:
The traffic app lets me know what lane is blocked and has access to the cameras on the freeway to SW can see what is happening.
Paul

What do you do when you are out of range of the cell sites?

Mine will give traffic reports as long as I have a GPS signal. I do not NEED a cell signal.
Current rig:

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
No ideas...but I have had the GPS working perfectly with no cell reception many times.

That is because the GPS system doesn't use the cell towers.

It uses "Low Earth Orbit" (LEO) satellites.

As long as your GPS receiver can "see" three or more of these satellites, it can calculate your position to within a few feet. There are very few places on the planet where it won't work as long as it has a clear view of the sky.

and this helps you avoid traffic jams, delays, wrecks, tells you which lane is getting through, etc. exactly how???
bumpy

My phone gives real-time traffic updates...if there is a problem, it will tell me and route me around it.
Current rig:

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Now we use walkie talkies when backing into the driveway or campsites - seems that someone is always yelling at me to get off "their" frequency.

If the walkie-talkies you are using are the FRS/GMRS radios, you may be using a GMRS frequency. Some of those frequencies are the input frequencies for repeaters for which you are not licensed (by the FCC) to use.

When programming your FRS/GMRS radio, make sure you are not using a GMRS frequency. The penalties for unlicensed use can be rather severe.

or just fill out the forms to be able to use all of those frequencies. of course figuring out how to fill out those forms is a challenge.
bumpy

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Now we use walkie talkies when backing into the driveway or campsites - seems that someone is always yelling at me to get off "their" frequency.

If the walkie-talkies you are using are the FRS/GMRS radios, you may be using a GMRS frequency. Some of those frequencies are the input frequencies for repeaters for which you are not licensed (by the FCC) to use.

When programming your FRS/GMRS radio, make sure you are not using a GMRS frequency. The penalties for unlicensed use can be rather severe.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used CB radios as kids. We had a base station. It used to mess up the television reception and dad would yell at us. My handle was Creeking Cricket! Now we use walkie talkies when backing into the driveway or campsites - seems that someone is always yelling at me to get off "their" frequency.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:

WOW! So you're telling us that, at three in the morning, if there is something lying in the left lane a mile ahead of you, your cell phone would tell you to stay over to the right hand side so you won't run over it without having to look at the tiny little screen.

What a marvelous creation. Please do give us the name of this application.

sums the TRUTH up quite well. unless the driver has a "junk in the road ap" on his cell phone. :s
bumpy

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
moparcanuck wrote:
Recently bought my new motorhome (1994 Newmar). It has a factory CB radio in it. Was rather surprised, as CBs had long since faded away. However, in looking, I see that CBs are still options in even brand new motorhomes.

CB radios have not faded away. I use mine when approaching a city to chat with oncoming truckers to see if I should take N or S bypass or continue straight thru town. also at Richmond to see if I should take 295 or stay on I-95 to go through.
and IMHO a cell phone is worthless for this task, who you gonna call, ghost busters?
from my experience the "bad language" is not what it is blown up to be and if it occurs it is only transient in nature.
bumpy

I use my smart phone and check the traffic app. Has not let me down yet.

Paul

WOW! So you're telling us that, at three in the morning, if there is something lying in the left lane a mile ahead of you, your cell phone would tell you to stay over to the right hand side so you won't run over it without having to look at the tiny little screen.

What a marvelous creation. Please do give us the name of this application.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
The traffic app lets me know what lane is blocked and has access to the cameras on the freeway to SW can see what is happening.
Paul

What do you do when you are out of range of the cell sites?
Paul
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:
No ideas...but I have had the GPS working perfectly with no cell reception many times.

As long as your GPS receiver can "see" three or more of these satellites, it can calculate your position to within a few feet. There are very few places on the planet where it won't work as long as it has a clear view of the sky.

and this helps you avoid traffic jams, delays, wrecks, tells you which lane is getting through, etc. exactly how???
bumpy

I doesn't.

Paul

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
moparcanuck wrote:

CB radios have not faded away. I use mine when approaching a city to chat with oncoming truckers to see if I should take N or S bypass or continue straight thru town. also at Richmond to see if I should take 295 or stay on I-95 to go through.
and IMHO a cell phone is worthless for this task, who you gonna call, ghost busters?
from my experience the "bad language" is not what it is blown up to be and if it occurs it is only transient in nature.
bumpy

I use my smart phone and check the traffic app. Has not let me down yet.

Paul

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
Jarlaxle wrote:

bumpy

It doesn't.
Paul
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q