2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
128 REPLIES 128

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I just wish the abusers would quit abusing posters.....

...AND ALL THE LONG-TIME MODERATORS!
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even having lived in the Bay Area all my life, I didn't know that being a Raiders fan identified one as a minority...

So many generalities being tossed about. The truth is there are a million different reasons why people don't camp and/or RV - regardless of their ethnic background.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nobody has it yet...The Elephant I was alluding to in my post upstream is the PERCEPTION and I want to underline that word Perception that this pastime is shot through with more than a little Redneckism, racism and intolerance.

I am NOT saying I agree with that judgement only that is the perception.

Having said that I have had more than a few encounters with those that fit that bill out here on the road at many RV parks.

And NO I do not believe that most RV'ers are that way. But only bring it forth as the unstated reason not being acknowledged in this discussion.

On the other hand I have come across a wide spectrum of people from all over America and the World out here and that is the part of Rv'ing that is encouraging and that I find most rewarding.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
^ Now there is one good reason the forum attendance is declining.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Many minorities gravitate toward urban areas for a variety of reasons; not all of these areas are RV friendly

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
kofire wrote:
People thinking minorities don't go camping apparently haven't been to any campground in southern California. Mariachi music and Raiders flags as far as the eye can see.

At the level you describe regarding flags and loud music ..BS.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
kofire wrote:
People thinking minorities don't go camping apparently haven't been to any campground in southern California. Mariachi music and Raiders flags as far as the eye can see.
In RVs?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kofire
Explorer
Explorer

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
There is an Elephant in the room...is anybody going to point it out regarding why minorities are under represented as Rv'ers/campers?
That's actually a question the industry is spending time and money trying to understand & change
They seem to have figured it out pretty well at Dockweiler RV Park just west of LAX. The park was filled with a cornucopia of races and cultures this weekend and last. I'd say about 20% were black. I had a wonderful experience with many of the campers asking me about my coach and making great conversations.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
n7bsn wrote:
4X4Dodger wrote:
There is an Elephant in the room...is anybody going to point it out regarding why minorities are under represented as Rv'ers/campers?.
That's actually a question the industry is spending time and money trying to understand & change
Dave54 made a good post about that a couple pages back.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
There is an Elephant in the room...is anybody going to point it out regarding why minorities are under represented as Rv'ers/campers?

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Yes from my POV Facebook is taking the place of forums as well. Doesn't take the true place yet maybe it's the thrill of instant gratification that some crave.

As far as this overall site? I find it strange that despite the heavily moderated nature of the site I've never had either a pm or email responded to by a mod. Not saying that action was not taken when needed in accordance with the site's rules just that I think it's impolite to not answer a specific question.

Diversity? I see it frequently in the NE whilst camping. As for this site, sure I wince at some of the thoughts expressed from time to time but suspect my skin is "thicker" than some.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you ever thought that less people post due to attrition? People as they age give up the lifestyle. Not as many new people coming into RVnet forum. Maybe with low fuel price they are out camping instead of talking about it.

Could be lots of different reason's or combination of reasons.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
I don't post as much as in the past. I do visit here daily and skim through looking for new interesting posts, or those I could comment on. I feel advice on this forum is shared freely. Some accept it some don't. But there are a whole punch of other threads that can go every which way. Some can get heated. Honestly you can choose to ignore them ... or if daring join in. In that respect I don't believe this forum is over moderated.

I do believe as others mentioned, other social media are alternatives to the younger crowd. But I for one never had any interest in FB or Twitter or any of the other stuff out there. I get teased by the mellennials for not joining in their new communication channels. Call me old (57) or whatever, but if I want to talk to someone bad enough I'll call them on the phone or invite them out to lunch.

Many of us in the older crowd have a little thicker skin when it comes to social issues. Yeah, we can get cranky. So what ... :B