cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch

kwoodard
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered the B&W Companion 25K fifth wheel hitch(for OEM prep) for my 2020 Ford F-350 4x4 Long Bed Dually. I will install it then drive a long distance to pick up my new 5th wheel, so I would like to be prepared when I show up. The truck is completely STOCK and I was wondering if anyone has the same set-up and would guide me to the forward and height adjustments I may need. Thanks for you help in advance. I'm pulling a Keystone Imapct 367 Toy Hauler if that helps.
12 REPLIES 12

kwoodard
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Best with a long box is all the way forward but if clearance with the tailgate down is an issue, just remove the hitch head and rotate your hitch 180 degrees in the pucks. Reinstall the head and you'll be in the all the way back position. I find with my short box that all the way back is fine .... I can't notice any difference in how the truck handles going down the highway and I like having the added cab to trailer clearance.

I would be taking the tools and doing the adjustments in the parking lot but i'm a wounded duck with that only has one arm to use after just having shoulder surgery. I appreciate all of the guidance from all. Once I heal up, I will fine tune everything. I will have my nephew/15 year old do the install as I watch but when I go pick up trailer, I will be alone so making preparations ahead of time.

kwoodard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the info. I just wanted to be close on the set-up when I arrive. I can adjust everything later if not perfect. I had rotator cuff/should surgery 4 weeks ago an will be picking up my trailer alone so that's my reason for asking. I really appreciate everybody giving me a little guidance.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"With a long bed, it is best to be full forward, straight side of the arms facing forward."

100% AGREE

President B&W FanBoy Club

Hey Prez,

I am still waiting on my membership card and hat ??????? :B

UH it's in the mail, maybe when they find more ballots they will find them. :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is as low as it goes in y 2015 but I understand the have lowered the newer F350s. I have put a strip of reflective tape on the center on the pin box and another on the in bed fuel tank> Line them up and I'm centered on the king pin.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Cummins12V98 wrote:
"With a long bed, it is best to be full forward, straight side of the arms facing forward."

100% AGREE

Hey Prez,

I am still waiting on my membership card and hat ??????? :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

MFL wrote:
"For the fore and aft settings. I have mine closest to the rear.. I would be too close to the trailer with the tailgate down for comfort with it all the way forward"

^^^^
Good point here! There is only a 2" change ahead/back, and while normally best towing would be ahead, having a few inches more tailgate clearance may be better choice. Again, pin box lengths vary, so just have to go with best option for YOUR exact rig.

Nice pics FTG!

Jerry

Thanks Jerry
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Best with a long box is all the way forward but if clearance with the tailgate down is an issue, just remove the hitch head and rotate your hitch 180 degrees in the pucks. Reinstall the head and you'll be in the all the way back position. I find with my short box that all the way back is fine .... I can't notice any difference in how the truck handles going down the highway and I like having the added cab to trailer clearance.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Take your tools and be ready and able to make changes as needed, donโ€™t forget your torque wrench.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"For the fore and aft settings. I have mine closest to the rear.. I would be too close to the trailer with the tailgate down for comfort with it all the way forward"

^^^^
Good point here! There is only a 2" change ahead/back, and while normally best towing would be ahead, having a few inches more tailgate clearance may be better choice. Again, pin box lengths vary, so just have to go with best option for YOUR exact rig.

Nice pics FTG!

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

100% AGREE

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

I have a 2020 F350 and the B&W 20k version...

1st off, its a great hitch, and they are great to deal with if you have any questions.

The height adjustment will depend on your trailer... I ended up in the middle setting for my trailer, I believe that is 17-1/2".. They have 3 settings for height - 16-1/2" - 17-1/2" and 18-1/2".. that will be trial and error..

For the fore and aft settings. I have mine closest to the rear.. I would be too close to the trailer with the tailgate down for comfort with it all the way forward..

I think the weight distributed towards the front axle in minimal so I was not worried about it.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
With a long bed, it is best to be full forward, straight side of the arms facing forward. This will put the hitch pin center ahead of axle center, but still add very little to front axle. Due to each FW height, pin box to ground, being different, hard to say on height adjustment. You will want 6"s plus between bed rail and bottom of trailer, so best to set hitch on the high side, rather than too low. That toy hlr should work out to using a mid height adjustment, but unless someone has the same truck/FW/hitch, an exact recommendation is not possible.

Another option, is to call B&W, as they do lots of hitch installs, and could give you an idea, as to distance from rear axle center, and their best guess on height. You will talk to a knowledgeable person.

It is not hard to readjust the arms on the B&W, so if you are too high/too low, it would not take long to drop the trailer and readjust. Take the few needed tools with you.

You have a great truck, and will love that B&W 3305!

Jerry