Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BAD smell in water

bobpam54
Explorer
Explorer
hi all you good people
I have kitchen sink ,bathroom sink and sink in the bedroom. The sink in the bedroom has very bad smell in the water and no other place in the motor home is the water bad

How can this be. It's a closed system. Any ideas on this
thank you
Bob
14 REPLIES 14

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Drain and flush the water heater. Replace the anode rod if there is one.

^^ This!

There's a bacteria that lives on the anode rod material.

If your rod is in rough shape, throw it out, sanitize the HWH and install a new one.

If it's still in good shape, throw it in the oven for an hour at 350F, or wrap in foil and toss in the camp fire. Brush it off when cool, sanitize the HWH and reinstall.
X-3

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Good call guys!

A tip on rinsing the bleach out of the system. Allowing the water to SIT does more to get rid of the bleach and smell than rinsing.

It's also a good idea to take a short drive so it splashes around in the tanks. Be sure to run each water point of use until you smell the bleach.

Let it sit about 4 hours, then rinse thoroughly and refill and let it site another 4hrs min (or overnight) and repeat.

I wouldn't let full strength sit in the lines overnight, pretty hard on the valves.

If you try to rinse without letting it sit for a while, it can be done...just takes about 83,243 gallons! LOL.

bobpam54
Explorer
Explorer
I think that old biscuit and clay L has hit the nail on the head. Thanks to all for your help. This forum is great. Bob

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Good deal! Let the bleach sit in the pipes for awhile. Overnight is ideal. Organic material in the plumbing is killed by the amines of bleach and that takes awhile to develop when mixed with the water. If there is unacceptable bleach odor when done, flush with dilute hydrogen peroxide.

Good luck!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bobpam54
Explorer
Explorer
The anode was completely gone. Just the skinny rod left. Got new anode put in and now I am letting the bleach do its thing. Thanks

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
If the water only smells bad in the bathroom I doubt if its the water. As stated above the sink drain system could very easily be the problem. There is a air admittance valve on a stub off the sewer side of the drain trap. If faulty it won't seal properly and allows odor from the gray tank to escape.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove bedroom sink drain 'P' trap and clean it along with the drain pipe
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Drain and flush the water heater. Replace the anode rod if there is one.

^^ This!

There's a bacteria that lives on the anode rod material.

If your rod is in rough shape, throw it out, sanitize the HWH and install a new one.

If it's still in good shape, throw it in the oven for an hour at 350F, or wrap in foil and toss in the camp fire. Brush it off when cool, sanitize the HWH and reinstall.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

bobpam54
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you guys. I feel good about what I have done so far. It is good to sanitize. It sure does make me feel better. I think that what you guys recommended is going to work. Thanks

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There a lots of threads on how to sanitize your system - use the forum search feature. Many of us sanitize our system each year when we get the rig ready for camping season.
Kevin

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You could, but best to use the fresh water tank, so entire system is sanitized.

About 1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gals of water.

Jerry

bobpam54
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys. Thank you. What you say makes sense. I will do all of that stuff. We have determined that it is the water. How much bleach should I use. Couldn't I use my injection system for winterizing my rig for the sanitizing.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Drain and flush the water heater. Replace the anode rod if there is one. Then sanitize with bleach. Retest making sure that the odor you smell is coming from the water, not from the nearby drain system.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible that you have a localized fungus or bacteria issue in the supply piping. You could try sanitizing the supply lines with some bleach to see if it eliminates the odor.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton