cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BALANCE 'drag/skid' WHEELS

funlover
Explorer
Explorer
My RV drags when coming our of community driveways and some campgrounds.
Have been told to install wheels. Question is swivel wheels vs. stationary wheels? Which one would be best?
9 REPLIES 9

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, adding something to the back may add stress to whatever you are bolting it to that wasn't designed for that stress. End result could be that you bend something or pull a back wall away from a sidewall. Evaluate be before you operate.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the best approach would be to solve the problem rather than add something that will be even closer to the ground.

What RV? Is this a trailer? Motor home?

Put your RV information in your profile or signature so we know what we are discussing.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
What's dragging? My skidplates would drag so I replaced them with RV casters that swivel. Mine are not any lower than the factory skidplates were. If you buy ones that don't swivel, they will bend if they touch while you're turning. I was scraping and digging into the pavement. Now it just rolls. They mount to each side of the hitch.

MrWizard
moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I added a single 4 inch wheel to the trailer hitch. It works well. Nice big thick steel.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
We had skid plates on our 1992 TT which sat a lot lower than the new TT. The skid plates work great for us.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Corkey's suggestion is better than the wheels. They do make a very small diameter steel wheel that is more like a roller than a wheel. It only sticks down about 1.5"

The longer / taller the wheel is, the more leverage there is in play to rip it off considering you're going to be hitting bottom more often.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind whatever wheels you add will lower the distance from the bottom of your coach by the dimensions of the wheels. If the wheels are 4 inches ... you'll be 4 inches closer to the ground. That means you'll be hitting a lot of things you never hit before.

Many add a 1/4 - 3/8 steel skid plate about the size of your hand to the area that drags. That limits dimensional issues and still saves the hitch or whatever is dragging. On one coach I had to have two skid plates welded to the hitch at both corners. Yeah they drag, but so will wheels. The plus side is no damage is being done to the coach if they hit, not any closer to the ground, and no wheels to replace that get torn off (and sooner or later they will).
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
funlover wrote:
My RV drags when coming our of community driveways and some campgrounds.
Have been told to install wheels. Question is swivel wheels vs. stationary wheels? Which one would be best?

MUST be swivel so they will work when you backup. I have had both type. I know. . . . :M
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos