cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom smell ... no, not that.

Treehouser
Explorer
Explorer
We've got a strange smell in the bathroom of our new-to-us 2000-year truck camper; I've searched the archives and can't find anyone complaining of quite what we've got, perhaps someone's got some ideas....

First of all, it's a smell that builds up in the bathroom. When you first open the door after it's been closed for a while, the smell is there -- it can be aired out, but returns and increases in intensity over time. I'd describe the smell as "chemical", if that sparks any thoughts for anyone.

Second, it's not a "waste" smell. It's not sour like urine or horrid like feces. I recently rinsed the living heck out of both gray and black tanks, and can confirm there is a markedly different smell that comes from the black tank while that flush valve is open ... and the smell from the gray tanks while draining was different than our culprit smell as well.

I had a notion it might be antifreeze or some such left in the shower or bathroom sink drain traps from the previous owner, and ran a bunch of water through them. The smell returned after I'd left the bathroom door closed for about an hour.

The bath is clean -- well scrubbed. The shower drain drains well enough. The toilet holds water in the bowl when the valve is closed, and the seal around the base looks solid.

I'm all out of ideas. Anyone?
46 REPLIES 46

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, keep the traps and toilet wet, I add a splash of pine sol when not using. Some of the odor is so horrid that it fouls the traps after awhile.

Treehouser
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so an update: I did the trash bag experiment(s), which (thankfully, I think) did nothing to increase or decrease the smell. I aired it out well and waited, the smell returned. And, notably, the bags didn't seem to inflate or deflate in the meantime.

Next I opened up the access panel beneath ... nothing of note. Dusty. And, interestingly, the shower, bathroom sink, and toilet all feed into the black tank, which is another question I suppose -- but with water in the toilet bowl and some in each drain trap things aren't smelly up close.

So in the meantime, my wife was getting impatient. When I had my back turned she Febrezed the heck out of the bathroom and closed it up. After about half an hour I went in there, and (of course) it smelled like Febreze. A LOT. But, the original smell wasn't there. Covered up, I think.

So I opened the door and skylight and turned on the exhaust fan. After about half an hour I go back. Only slightly smells like Febreze. And zero "mystery smell." Same after several hours, and the Febreze smell is nearly gone.

I'm humbled and baffled. But the john isn't stinky, so what can I say? This can't possibly be a solution, but it sure seems to do a good imitation of one.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry...that "remediation plant" was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. :B

I know that "new shower curtain smell" you're talking about. Any chance there's something made of vinyl or plastic recently replaced on your camper - such as window/vent frame, toilet parts or anything? Roof repairs? Seams? Dicor or caulk? Shower head and hose?

One thing you might try is discerning if the smell is in fact coming from the plumbing and/or tanks. Put a fairly heavy trash bag over the toilet and tape it down well. Put some plastic over the shower drain and tape all the way around the edges of that, also.

If the smell abates, you'll have narrowed down what to look at more closely (tanks). If the bag over the toilet inflates or gets sucked in, it could indicate a venting issue.

If it's still bad after that, we'll see what else we can come up with.

The Biscuit is RV.net's renowned-but-uncrowned champion of "What's that Smell" ๐Ÿ™‚
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Treehouser wrote:

On the formaldehyde, our smell seems way too strong and not quite right -- you know that smell when you buy a new cheap shower curtain liner and first open the package? It's like that, only twice as bad and a little "off" as well.

Wasn't the formaldehyde issue that it was being used in glue throughout campers, not just in the bathroom, so it'd be somewhere else, too? And wouldn't it've lost the noticeable smell by now (if not the danger)? I could probably afford the test kit, but can't seem to find the "remediation plant" you guys are talking about.

Formaldehyde is still being sampled in those FEMA trailers even after 10+ yrs.
It can continue to off-gas for many yrs. Usually not noticeable but in confined spaces. Small bathroom closed up ????

That 'smell' when opening that new shower curtain is chemical smell from manufacturing/materials used........just like formaldehyde.

Could be.....is it, not sure. Just a possibility due to is being there when closed up and then going away when using trailer.

AS for that 'remediation plant'....it is about using houseplants to combat off-gassing LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Treehouser wrote:
Why would we close the skylight vent in the bathroom? Heavy rain, mostly.

I thought you were talking about the tank vent.....which isn't intended to be closed......ever.

Treehouser
Explorer
Explorer
Why would we close the skylight vent in the bathroom? Heavy rain, mostly. Hey, I didn't say it was the *greatest* trip ever, just the first. ๐Ÿ™‚

The only thing I've ever put in the tank was Calgon, and some dish soap from doing dishes.

I'll see if I can get into that sink drain; I ran a ton of water through it, but you're right, there's tons of possibility for nasty.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
Treehouser wrote:

apart from the bathroom becoming hard to use after the roof vent had been closed for a bit.

WHY would you do THAT ??

Although you seem certain the odor is not coming from the tank, THIS is good evidence that it IS. Not all odors emanating from the tank are due to waste.

Do you use any chemicals in the tank ?

At this point, I'd be tempted to put about 10 gallons of water into BOTH holding tanks along with about a cup of bleach and a half cup of dish washing soap. Drive a few miles, making several stops and turns. After 24 hours, repeat the drive and then flush out both tanks.

This will do two things:
If you get a strong bleach/chlorine odor inside, you will know that there is a venting problem somewhere.....or a liquid splash-back problem or leak.
It should clean and disinfect the tanks and valves too.

And finally.....inspect the bathroom sink drain closely too.
Nasty stuff can grow in there too sometimes down in the trap where you can't see it.

Treehouser
Explorer
Explorer
Everybody, thanks so much. I went out and stuck a mirror behind the toilet just to be sure, and it's clean as can be behind there.

On the formaldehyde, our smell seems way too strong and not quite right -- you know that smell when you buy a new cheap shower curtain liner and first open the package? It's like that, only twice as bad and a little "off" as well.

Wasn't the formaldehyde issue that it was being used in glue throughout campers, not just in the bathroom, so it'd be somewhere else, too? And wouldn't it've lost the noticeable smell by now (if not the danger)? I could probably afford the test kit, but can't seem to find the "remediation plant" you guys are talking about.

We ran the water heater on our "shakedown" a few weekends ago, no smell from hot or cold water. Actually everything went swimmingly, apart from the bathroom becoming hard to use after the roof vent had been closed for a bit. When we got back I parked in the driveway, ran my new Lippert waste hose to the clean out, and sprayed and scrubbed that bathroom like no tomorrow.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe hot water heater? Run water and smell it. White vinegar into tank will help. If that's the culprit.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Biscuit. $39 to test. Or just set up a "remediation plant" like the one in the article you posted.

When I had a TC all the liquids/chemicals got stored in the closet/bathroom. Maybe it's just something harmless that the previous owner spilled in there that permeated the flooring.

(Another episode of "What's that Smell - RV Edition")
It's his Super Power!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
GMandJM wrote:
Is it possibly formaldehyde? Septic chemicals almost all contained it back in the day. Some still do.

Sometimes it has no discernable smell at all, but if you've ever dissected a frog in a science class you never quite forget that formaldehyde "aroma".

Formaldehyde toilet chemicals smelled like a dissected frog plus a toilet freshener cake.

Not only chemicals. But RVs of that vintage had Formaldehyde in the walls. that it builds up while closed is a sign it could be out gassing of Formaldehyde. If strong enough, It can make your eyes water.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised that is what is happening.
Formaldehyde Test Kit
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. With the OP's camper being a 2000 model year, would that be a concern?

The Biscuit posted a link recently about Katrina trailers (c2005) still testing at higher-than-recommended formaldehyde levels even after this long, so apparently there is a way to test.
It's his Super Power!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
Is it possibly formaldehyde? Septic chemicals almost all contained it back in the day. Some still do.

Sometimes it has no discernable smell at all, but if you've ever dissected a frog in a science class you never quite forget that formaldehyde "aroma".

Formaldehyde toilet chemicals smelled like a dissected frog plus a toilet freshener cake.

Not only chemicals. But RVs of that vintage had Formaldehyde in the walls. that it builds up while closed is a sign it could be out gassing of Formaldehyde. If strong enough, It can make your eyes water.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Does the bowl hold a little water after sitting for awhile? Is the roof vent open and causing a "draw" on the bathroom? Is there water in the shower and sink traps? I had an old TT with a bad seal ring between the toilet and tank. Replaced the toilet with a Dometic 310. At the time CW had the best price.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer

It's his Super Power!