cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best place to sell unneeded RV stuff?

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
With the new TT, I've both got things that I no longer need (surge protector and 30A cables - now I'm 50A) and things that I just plain old upgraded (like new chocks, etc). What's the best place to sell the stuff I don't need anymore? Craigslist? Somewhere else?
2006 Keystone Cougar 243RKS (First trailer)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS (Traded in)
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 33RBTS (Current)
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4WD 6.6L Duramax Diesel (LBZ)
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M
20 REPLIES 20

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
When we switched from TT to 5er then to our Motorhome I kept most of the stuff I didn't need. Gave or sold a few things to friends. Few of the other items I'd put in a box when we went camping. As I ran into other campers that needed something I gave it to them.

X2

If mobile on the road:
I also would put things I no longer needed or wanted in the CG bathooms if they had a counter. With a FREE sign. They were gone within minutes.

If stationary:
IMHO Hands down the best place to advertise RV items.An escapees forum.
http://www.rvnetwork.com/
Join forum for free, scroll down to 'RV marketplace' for classified ads.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep the 30A power cable. Chop the house input fitting off it & put a female plug on it. Get a 50-30A adapter. You now have an extension cord to plug into a 30A post your stock 50A shore power cord is not long enough.

Something has to be well & truly junk for me to throw it away.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
IndyCamp wrote:
I am in need of a new 30a surge protector and might be interested. Which one is it and how much do you want for it? I'm in Indiana so it would have to be shipped.

PM'ed you. I don't want to break the forum rules.
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am in need of a new 30a surge protector and might be interested. Which one is it and how much do you want for it? I'm in Indiana so it would have to be shipped.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I just did the same thing a few months ago. I used Craig's list. I posted pictures of every item and put a good price on the items. I was lucky in that the first guy who came by to look at a item was a fireman who just purchased his first RV. He left with more then he planned on.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've never been on either side of a buy or sell, but I've been in a few RV parks that have Laundromats on site, with dry erase boards on a wall with sections - "For Sale", "For Free" and "Wanted To Buy". Folks just list an item and lot number or cell phone number. Seems to work pretty well. A good collection of "Birds of a Feather" in a campground. At least, we all know what a particular "for sale" item is. Mostly.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of people do not have surge protectors In 35 years of camping just bought our first...... never needed one but now decided to get one with all the electronics in campers......:) ...... still never needed it but is piece of mind.....

rblake39
Explorer
Explorer
Ebay. Craigslist. Forest River forums also has a classified section.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you now have a 50A RV you will find a need for a 30A extension cable occasionally. I have 50A MH but also carry a 50A extension and also a 30A and have used both at times.

JoeTampa
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Why not give it away! You've been blessed! Why not send the blessing on to someone other camper that could use a little boost starting out!

I suppose I've never considered that someone already at a campground might need the stuff, as I consider it quite basic stuff.. I wouldn't be plugged in without a surge protector, for example, so it never crossed my mind that someone might not be. Likewise with the brake controller, and WD hitch bars. I suppose I could find someone that could use a 30A ext cable.. But not likely someone who NEEDS one. *shrug* Any thoughts?
Blue Ox Swaypro 1500 WDH
Prodigy P2 BC
Amateur Call AB2M

Y-Guy
When we switched from TT to 5er then to our Motorhome I kept most of the stuff I didn't need. Gave or sold a few things to friends. Few of the other items I'd put in a box when we went camping. As I ran into other campers that needed something I gave it to them.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
We sell all of our unneeded RV stuff at the RV parks we stay in.

Some parks have a garage sale event and others will let you show the stuff at your campsite. And others have a board where you can post an ad.

We often set the stuff out when we are sitting under the awning. We'll put a sign for sale and then the price for each item. We've sold a lot of stuff this way. Make sure the park is OK with you doing this; if not use the ad board (usually in the laundry room).

Interesting

I have never seen a sale board, or any kind of bulletin board, at an RV park. And I have wondered why they didn't have them, as it seems many campers would have things they don't need or decide to replace mid-trip. I know I do. Books, especially.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've NEVER sold any of used camping equipment. Everything from Coleman camp stoves to a Satellite finder helper do-dad.

It has given me a lot of joy and pleasure GIVING my unwanted items away, especially to someone just starting out, either camping or RV-ing.

Every year we clean out the camper and collect all the stuff we quit using. When we purchased our 2nd TT, that was the real mother-load! We had so much stuff, it was crazy.

The first couple camp-outs of the season we took all that stuff with us, packed away in totes and such in the back of the pick-up truck, and I went on the mission to GIVE it all away to fellow campers. I would walk around the campground and try to spot out the newer campers (they aren't hard to identify). I'd take a quick inventory of their camping gear and then figure out which item I had that would help them out. Unbelievable, I found homes for every item, including sleeping bags, hot dog sticks, the little 1 pound propane tanks, 2 different Coleman camp stoves, dishes, utensils, fishing poles, hundreds of bungie cords and miles of nylon rope, tent pegs, coolers, Coleman Lanterns, and the list goes on and on.

The joy in those people's faces and the surprise and bewilderment that they are getting something "free" with no strings attached, and that someone actually took notice of them, is really .... absolutely priceless! No money can purchase those moments. Some of those folks thought they just won the lottery or something, they were so happy. And I was happy to get rid of the stuff.

We do this ritual every year now, although our supply of "junk" is now running out, I still have a few items left, like awning flapers, some plastic plugs for the water heater drain plug (since my camper now uses an anode rod), and bunch of little gizmos I'll never use on my current camper.

Why not give it away! You've been blessed! Why not send the blessing on to someone other camper that could use a little boost starting out!

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
The IRV2 forum has a for sale section - I think it is a free service.

Also consider Ebay. With lots of pictures and a good description, it will sell if priced correctly.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida