cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Value Portable LED Lantern ?

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Our portable Coleman battery fluorescent lantern suffered a mishap last month while camping at bullard's beach .
We have made the conversion from Maglite flashlights to LED flashlights .
There seems to be a quality difference between the LED flashlights . Some good , some much better .
Who has purchased a Portable LED Lantern for camping and has found a choice that is better than most ?
Is there a good LED lantern that uses 3 or 4 "C cells" or "D cells " ?
Where did you find it ?
13 REPLIES 13

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
A number of years ago I purchased a 400 lumen lantern from Sportsman's Guide. When dry camping it will light the entire truck camper just as well as the built in lighting. It even has a remote which comes in handy when returning after dark. One button and the camper lights up.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like lanterns because the light radiates 360 degrees. I like the rechargeable trouble lights by Bayco. I have had four of them for several years, they work great. I have one in the garage, the workshop, and each vehicle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not a fan of lighting up the whole CG. Those LEDs are bright. Like using the head lights for doing stuff that needs light. Otherwise for ambient light 150 year old technology of a kerosene or citronella lantern works just fine. The bugs don't like it so that is an added bonus.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Not_a_Yurt_
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased two of these Rayovac lanterns after researching a lot of options. They offer a lot of light in a small package. They have a hook at the base that allows them to be hung upside down in a tent or under an awning. The diffuser is removable to allow more light when hanging or when more light may be necessary. The rubberized bases allow them to be stored without them shifting around when traveling. Good luck in you search for a solution that works for you. I'm happy with these Rayovacs.

Rayovac lantern on Amazon
Chris and Diana
Two cats
1998 Pace Arrow
2008 Honda CRV

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:

Who has purchased a Portable LED Lantern for camping and has found a choice that is better than most ?
Is there a good LED lantern that uses 3 or 4 "C cells" or "D cells " ?
Where did you find it ?

This one is working out well for me. I think I found it for less than the price on this ebay listing though.

Super Bright 30 LED Swivel Lantern Work Light 180ยฐ Pivot 360ยฐ Swivel

Ed

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Had a full tilt boogie MagLite flashlight that I used for work and took camping one year. The man took it into the mens' room and forgot it for 30 minutes. Long enough for it to nevah be seen by us again and for me to learn the never again lesson. Now, we travel with cheapo flash lights and Snowpeak 'spensive to some LED portable lights that are NOT allowed to leave the campsite. The Hozuki is tiny but gives off an immense amt of light for it's size, longevity and battery usage:

Mini Hozuki

Then there is the Tulip lantern. I use it at home, year round, since it has a USB port as well as is battery operated. Given the cost of non rechargeable batteries I find it a true value. The fact that I can distinguish the colour of stones whilst playing backgammon or cards also makes my life easier.

Look for either on sale and you can shave 10- 25 bucks off the MSRP.

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
We have a couple of "Jeep" LED lanterns given to us that actually work pretty well. Very sturdy with adjustable brightness. Had them for a couple of years and they are still using their original batteries (4 D cells). Also came with a ac wall wart but we have only used them on batteries. Also handy for the house if the power goes out.

I just looked up the price on Amazon and they are $6.95/$12.50 shipped. I thought they cost a lot more. Going to pick up a couple more at that price to keep in the house.

Update: Don't buy these new ones. The two I just received are junk. No where near the quality of the ones I already had.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can tell you I DONT like my Energizer LED light. About useless.

Look over on Amazon and read the reviews. Seems you want no less than 300 lumens. The Streamlight Siege has nearly all 5 star rating and is 340 L for $37.

Looks like some decent ones for $25-$30.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Poke around LL Bean. They have a couple of choices. We have one from them and it is outstanding.

LL Bean Lanterns...here
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Coleman LED that comes apart into 4 separate flashlights. Than when your done, you snap them back into place to make one lantern, works great. I used it for the first time back in January at Anastasia SP and will be using it again in May at FW.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Our old LED lantern bit the dust and I had a gift card for REI so picked up http://www.rei.com/product/861164/ultimate-survival-technologies-30-day-lantern-

It uses 3 D size batteries and puts out 300 lumens on high. I am using rechargeable batteries and the charger will be powered by our solar panel.

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
I received the Coleman Duo LED Lantern as a gift. I've been happy with it. While it doesn't receive heavy use, when needed, it has served its purpose well.

A 4-panel lantern is also sold, but for DW and I, the 2-panel has worked just fine.

Hope this helps.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have not found an LED lantern online yet that looks like it's worth buying.

What I ended up getting was a fluorescent that takes the same rechargeable battery used by my cordless drill, and also portable tire inflator.

Just a suggestion for something you could check out - if you own any cordless power tools, see if there's a lantern available that takes the same battery.

PORTER-CABLE 13-Watt Fluorescent
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed