cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Weight Distribution Hitch

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there! I hope I'm in the right place.

After twelve long years I finally purchased another travel trailer. I bought a 2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 23MK, and will be towing it with a 2003 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 with 5.4L and 3.55 ratio.

On my last unit I used an older Equal-i-zer brand Hitch and was very happy.

What's changed in the last 12 years, and how do I determine which hitch is best for my needs this time around?
2003 Ford F-150
2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 23MK
31 REPLIES 31

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

Snip... A WDH is a crutch for not enough truck. Snip...

A 100% incorrect statement! A WD hitch is for restoring the weight lost from the front axle when you drop a trailer tongue on the ball. This happens no matter what the tow vehicle is. If your tow vehicle is very large or the trailer very small, you might not notice the difference but it is still there.
Barney

I guess it depends on who you ask. Other than not having a battery for the break away switch and an incorrect statement about slightly nose down in my opinion, if I were a fan of Keystone RV, this would be a really nice rig.
https://youtu.be/iQwahPcx8tk
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hannibal wrote:

Snip... A WDH is a crutch for not enough truck. Snip...

A 100% incorrect statement! A WD hitch is for restoring the weight lost from the front axle when you drop a trailer tongue on the ball. This happens no matter what the tow vehicle is. If your tow vehicle is very large or the trailer very small, you might not notice the difference but it is still there.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I donโ€™t believe there is a better hitch available for sway control than the Equalizer 4 point.

There is a better hitch, two in fact.

Hensley Arrow and the ProPride

Hereโ€™s another fact. Lol! Cost, weight and ease of hitching and unhitching also factor into the equation. The only reason I use WD at all is to satisfy the rating of the receiver. A WDH is a crutch for not enough truck. The last thing I want is a bigger, heavier, cost prohibitive, aggravating crutch. My goal is a simple ball mount on an adequate truck.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I donโ€™t believe there is a better hitch available for sway control than the Equalizer 4 point.

my 4pt Equal-i-zer does just fine and it was 7 1/2 times cheaper.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Hannibal wrote:

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really like my Blue Ox Sway Pro. Seems like the Blue Ox, Equalizer, and Reese DC all get pretty good reviews, and people are happy with them. They all were priced pretty close too.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the title to the post was: `Best....'. Our Equal-i-zer has service us well for all the years we have had our rig BUT it is not the `best'.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

nalts
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
But the really best is the Hensley for weight distribution AND anti-sway. The design eliminates sway not just dampens it.

I just looked up the Hensley. Looks like a solid work of engineering. So is the price! :R hahaha!
2003 Ford F-150
2019 Forest River Grey Wolf 23MK

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've transferred my old Reese DC on it's 3rd trailer, it simply works.

Did have to jump up in weight for trunnion bars.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got a new Rockwood TT that's some 4' longer and some #2000 heavier.. Still using the same Eaz-Lift WD setup I used with the old Prowler. #1000 bars and the saddles from the prowler transferred to the Rockwood like it was designed for them!

Had to flip the hitch shank from a "drop" to a "rise" because of the higher tongue height of the Rockwood. But, it's still solid towing and have never had any inherent 'sway' to speak of.. Distributes the weight just fine for me and works great.

I'd just hook up the setup you already have and then take it out for a spin. Only you will be able to tell if it's setup right or not. Even all those other fancy WD setups need to be setup correctly to work properly.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Flan
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know if there is a best, but my equalizer took out all the sway I was fighting and made the ride more comfortable as well.
Heartland Prowler 27LX
19 Ram CTD 2500

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Think I'm going to be trading in my 16 yr old Equal-I-zer for a BlueOX SwayPro this summer or next. It controls sway fine but is getting noisier.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
But the really best is the Hensley for weight distribution AND anti-sway. The design eliminates sway not just dampens it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2_many_2
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike134 wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
I think you answered your question. I donโ€™t believe there is a better hitch available for sway control than the Equalizer 4 point.

X2 been very pleased with mine

X3 :B

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
Hannibal wrote:
I think you answered your question. I donโ€™t believe there is a better hitch available for sway control than the Equalizer 4 point.

X2 been very pleased with mine
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.