cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycles-recommendations?

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of getting new bicycles. We are older now & certainly don't need a gagillion speeds. Any recommendations would be appreciated. THX
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
79 REPLIES 79

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
"Reportedly, the bicycles of concern from the Wisconsin-based firm are from model years 2000 through 2015. They were sold throughout the United States beginning in 1999, according to a USA Today report. The bikes were made in China and Taiwan while being sold in the United States for anywhere from $480 to $1,650"

:h You already quoted the recall. This is the same recall.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe PC, has done much biking. Always hard to argue with someone, who really has no understanding, and no knowledge. And no matter what one says, they very rarely will change their opinion. Be it biking or anything else

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
"Reportedly, the bicycles of concern from the Wisconsin-based firm are from model years 2000 through 2015. They were sold throughout the United States beginning in 1999, according to a USA Today report. The bikes were made in China and Taiwan while being sold in the United States for anywhere from $480 to $1,650"

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
PastorCharlie wrote:
If the issue is the same part as the ones used on cheap big box bike sounds as if those $1,600 Trek bikes are a rip off.

I don't know what your point is other then anti cycling agenda. You have never heard of a manufacturer that makes a specific part used in multi brand assemblies. Airbags and recalls come to mind.

I did not indicate that Walmart bikes use the same 15mm quick release. And this recall is for the lower end bikes. The mid level and higher use a different QR.

Have you gone through life thus far without a vehicle that had a recall or TSB. And if you did have a vehicle with a recall was it automatically a rip off because of it.

Many people that REALLY are not going to use a bike, more than a stroll through a campground, will never understand he higher priced quality bikes. PastorCharlie included!

Markiemark:C
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
If the issue is the same part as the ones used on cheap big box bike sounds as if those $1,600 Trek bikes are a rip off.

I don't know what your point is other then anti cycling agenda. You have never heard of a manufacturer that makes a specific part used in multi brand assemblies. Airbags and recalls come to mind.

I did not indicate that Walmart bikes use the same 15mm quick release. And this recall is for the lower end bikes. The mid level and higher use a different QR.

Have you gone through life thus far without a vehicle that had a recall or TSB. And if you did have a vehicle with a recall was it automatically a rip off because of it.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
1,000,000 TREK BIKE RECALLED

Trek Bicycle is recalling about one million bikes for a safety issue. The safety issue of concern has caused one bike rider to become paralyzed according to a CNN report on Wednesday. The bicycles that are being recalled have a quick release lever on the front of the bicycleโ€™s wheel. The quick release lever can interfere with the disk brakes on the vehicle. That interference can cause the wheel to stop turning or separate from the bikeโ€™s frame.

This is not a Trek part. In fact other brands use it. There will be more recalls most likely from other brands. BTW this means the wheel was already loose or improperly attached so there was already a risk of the wheel separating. The issue is the contact with the brake disk and locking the front wheel up. If you have rim brakes there is no issue.

langenc
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to suggest that a bike shop would let you 'try it out' and WM wont.

The bike shop will also adj. Many bikers need to jack up the seat several inches. Your leg should be nearly straight when on the down side. Seats on some bikes hurt. Might want to change out. Bike shop should work w/ you on that.
Make sure you get some kind of flashing rear light even for DAY riding.

DRM796
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bought a used Walmart cruiser for $25 4 years ago off of Craigslist. Like new when I got it and have had no problems getting around the campground.
2019 Alpine 3700
2016 Chevy 3500 High Country DRW Duramax
2012 Wildcat 313RE traded in 5/2018

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
1,000,000 TREK BIKE RECALLED

Trek Bicycle is recalling about one million bikes for a safety issue. The safety issue of concern has caused one bike rider to become paralyzed according to a CNN report on Wednesday. The bicycles that are being recalled have a quick release lever on the front of the bicycleโ€™s wheel. The quick release lever can interfere with the disk brakes on the vehicle. That interference can cause the wheel to stop turning or separate from the bikeโ€™s frame.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
As I said earlier, my daughter is a bicycle racer and part time mechanic. We cannot believe how heavy the bicycles in big box stores are--incredibly heavy. They must be miserable to pedal up a hill.

My 3 year old granddaughter is riding a Strider--with no pedals. Her 7 year old brother has full race aluminum frame BMX bikes that weigh just about nothing.

My daughter's race bikes have titanium axles ($90) and titanium spokes on hand built wheels ($750.) Her frames are aluminum ($650.) Front forks and handlebars are carbon fiber.

I realize campers don't require $2,000 bicycles, however you'd think that a $350-$450 bicycle would be relatively light and easier to ride.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I received my new Camping World Master catalog for 2015 today. They have some good offers on their bikes. They all fold for convenience in transporting. They have models in either aluminum or heavy steel frames. They have sizes from 20" to 27 1/2" wheels in either steel or alloy. They are adjustable for a variety of riders. They even carry a 3 speed trike. Many accessories are available. The Club Prices are reasonable.

For the casual riders around the RV park and for family fun they appear to be an ideal transportation.

I don't disagree, For around the campground they are probably fine.
(you can always push them back to the campsite) LOL
The kids bikes are so cheaply made, poor brakes, sprockets, balance etc. Not real safe in my humble opinion

I did not want my granddaughter on one. But then we ride a lot farther than just around the RV park.

Can not comment on the adult bike as I did not look at them, but if anything like the kid bikes I would not be impressed

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I received my new Camping World Master catalog for 2015 today. They have some good offers on their bikes. They all fold for convenience in transporting. They have models in either aluminum or heavy steel frames. They have sizes from 20" to 27 1/2" wheels in either steel or alloy. They are adjustable for a variety of riders. They even carry a 3 speed trike. Many accessories are available. The Club Prices are reasonable.

For the casual riders around the RV park and for family fun they appear to be an ideal transportation.

TxTwoSome
Explorer
Explorer
Well for us old folks we bought a KENT TANDUM it has 16 gears and sometimes we are glad to have them extra gears. But most of the time just use one. We put better seats on it and we love it. Just another option. At your partner can't get lost unless you do!
Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro