cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bicycles-recommendations?

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of getting new bicycles. We are older now & certainly don't need a gagillion speeds. Any recommendations would be appreciated. THX
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS
79 REPLIES 79

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might be well served to go to a locally owned bike shop where they can ask you questions and steer you into the right bike. They often carry a better quality brand than the Walmart bikes. Giant makes a good bike.

You might pay a little more but they will usually do a free adjustment or two, change seats to the right one etc.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis M M wrote:
Go to a bike dealer and get a properly fitted bike! You will be lot happier with that than one from Walmart.

Trek has some reasonably priced, well built bikes. We have a couple of older Giant's, that we use in AZ in the winter. We bought a pair of Trek's a little over a year ago, but leave them home rather than abuse them. They are head and shoulders above the Giant's in quality, performance, and comfort.
Trek makes a great bike. Somewhat pricey, but worth it. Townie's are also good for the low tech crowd. Agree 100% the best place to go is a good bike shop to see what is available. Spending a few extra hundred dollars for a good bike is money well spent. The Walmart specials are just that, Walmart specials, cheap price with quality to match.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think it is important to get a bike that actually fits you. I see many folks riding bikes too small for them.

If you go to an actual bike shop, they will help with frame size etc. You don't need to spend a lot, but one that is fitted to you, is so much less work to ride.

Good luck,
Jerry

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a competent bike dealer and get a properly fitted bike! You will be lot happier with that than one from Walmart. They will not try to up-sell you and will fit you with the most economical bike for your needs. A comfortable fit is the more important than anything, including price.

Trek has some reasonably priced, well built bikes. We have a couple of older Giant's, that we use in AZ in the winter. We bought a pair of Trek's a little over a year ago, but leave them home rather than abuse them. They are head and shoulders above the Giant's in quality, performance, and comfort.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart has a good selection.