cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking in the Carolinas

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about doing a road trip to the Carolinas, to get away from the cold; although, they too are seeing some chilly days, lately.

Just wondering if there's some good places to boondock in that area, from late February 'til late April.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone!

Yes, by boondocking I mean free, or near free, and no hook-ups. My rig is only 20' in length. As long as I can run the eu2000i a couple hours a day, I'll be fine. I usually carry enough fresh water for 3 weeks at a time, but I will need water once I'm down there.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for North and South Carolina National Forests for dispersed camping along Forest Service roads.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8z...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/scnfs/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5289103
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, one of the bad things about the east coast...not so much on boondocking type sites...plenty of dry camping sites though...Also depends on the size of your rig..
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly boondocking but most of SC State parks range from $18-20/night. Most are 30 amp and water only. Seniors and military get 30% off
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The Grapevine in South Carolina. Andrew Pickens ranger district of the Sumter National Forest. Limited space but a van or small bus will work. Outhouse only. Beautiful river. Plan your stay as you wont want to be going in and out.

The Chatooga River crosses 76 south of Clayton. There are trails along the river with viewing area of kayaks doing the rapids.

Free

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If by "boondocking" you mean dispersed camping, there is Sumter National Forest in South Carolina. It is in the Piedmont, not as warm in winter as the coastal plain, but likely warmer than Ontario.

Some of the campgrounds are open year round, some are seasonal with the open season outside your time window. I'm not sure about the season for roadside and dispersed camping.

Then there is Francis Marion National Forest on the Atlantic Coast, in an area where winter is more moderate. I don't know about dispersed camping, but there is at least one developed campground.

A problem with the National Forests here may be stay limits. I know that the campgrounds have stay limits, don't know how much of a move is needed to get around them.

AFAIK, there are no Long Term Visitor Areas on public lands in the Carolinas, the land use situation is different from the deserts along the California-Arizona border.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B