cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Controler Problem...Update

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
My SIL has a Prodigy brake controller on his Ford P/U. ('05 4wd 3/4)
The brakes on the trailer work using the manual control but no trailer brakes when pressing the brake pedal on the truck.
Any advice?
After checking all that the instruction book called for SIL found the book!) we narrowed it down to the controller itself .New one on order.
Thanks for all the help and advice, we both learned a lot.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06
10 REPLIES 10

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
restlesswind wrote:
The brakes on the trailer work using the manual control but no trailer brakes when pressing the brake pedal on the truck.
Any advice?
After checking all that the instruction book called for SIL found the book!) we narrowed it down to the controller itself .New one on order.
Thanks for all the help and advice, we both learned a lot.

BTW I was wrong on the year of his truck, it's an '03
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
The controller has a 4 wire hook up. Power, Brake, Brake Sensor and Ground. Since it operates manually, power, brake and ground are OK. A disconnected brake sensor wire could cause your symptoms.
Currently Between RVs

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy 2 or 3?

Prodigy 2 manual.

Prodigy 3 manual.

If I recall, the manual lever is independent from the wire connected to the brake switch. That might a place to start looking.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
cbenn wrote:
Let me save you some time, on your Ford if you can stop the trailer with the controller and not with the brake pedal your TBC pressure transducer is out, it is located directly under your master cylinder, there are 2 sensors there, the front one is more for the brakes/cruise control, the second one is the transducer for trailer brakes, ford carries them at a whopping $154.00, go on line and should find them for around $100.00. Hope this helps you out.

I think you are referring to the built in Ford TBC? The OP has an after market Prodigy controller.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
restlesswind wrote:
We will hook up the trailer tomorrow ,get the volt and current meters out and get some more information.

Artum Snowbird....That was my first thought. Unfortunately, he has lost the instruction book. (?)

Something else to know. Press the brake pedal while Sitting still. and the Prodigy will send little to no current to the TT brakes. It works on inertia / movement. No inertia no need to send current. May be hard to check. IF you turn on the boost to 3. You can get a current for a second, until the Prodigy learns the TT is sitting still.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

cbenn
Explorer
Explorer
Let me save you some time, on your Ford if you can stop the trailer with the controller and not with the brake pedal your TBC pressure transducer is out, it is located directly under your master cylinder, there are 2 sensors there, the front one is more for the brakes/cruise control, the second one is the transducer for trailer brakes, ford carries them at a whopping $154.00, go on line and should find them for around $100.00. Hope this helps you out.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Terryallan wrote:
restlesswind wrote:
Any advice?

Do his brake lights come on? The TT brakes are activated when the TV brake lights come on.

This!
Sounds like his brake lights dont work.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
We will hook up the trailer tomorrow ,get the volt and current meters out and get some more information.

Artum Snowbird....That was my first thought. Unfortunately, he has lost the instruction book. (?)
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
restlesswind wrote:
Any advice?

Do his brake lights come on? The TT brakes are activated when the TV brake lights come on.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying the trailer brakes work when he swings the brake controller but does not when he steps on the brake pedal? The voltage to the brakes comes from the same place, down the same wires. Has he set up the controller to the recommended setting? What is the trailer weight.. perhaps he needs to adjust the level somewhat, or the boost?
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel