cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand with best quality control?

Zebedee
Explorer
Explorer
As I do some research for my first RV, I have found that some owners report problems with their units, even brand new. While some of these problems may be minor, like a loose screw, I'm wondering which brands stand out from the rest when it comes to quality control.
53 REPLIES 53

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quality is subjective. For one person, a loose screw is no big deal but another person might think a loose screw will be the end of the world. The truth is, ALL have problems, ALL brands will have people love then while they will have an equal amount of haters.

I personally believe that shoddy interior workmanship is indicative of shoddy overall building practices, but higher quality almost always comes with an appreciably higher price. Most people don't want to spend Spacecraft brand money for a camper that is gonna sit in their driveway or storage 90% of the time.

For the 4 plus years that I have been on this forum, alot of people have commented that Jayco, Lance, Northwood and Airstream seem to have better than average quality (but what is average anyway?). Not to say that there aren't others that will build an acceptably decent vehicle, but they are all rolling houses on wheels and something will inevitably break on anything.

I have a Flagstaff HW camper, and I have had to have it back to be repaired on several occasions, for things like the A/C, fridge and electric roof lift, but these malfunctions aren't inherit to Forest River per se, but more problems with the supplied parts, but all manufacturers use these same brands..Dometic, Coleman, etc.

If a manufacturer were to build a camper the way they could be built, not many people could justify their price, and your RAV4 couldn't pull it.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting dissertation, mostly factual. Lets just assume you just want to enjoy the RV experience and are willing to put up with a little maintenance on your own. Forget the dealer, they are just sales rooms with garages built on to give the impression they are in the service business for what they sell. Then find any RV you like "do not finance", then go out and have a good time. I never realized any monetary return on going to a ball game, sporting event or the theater. You will not on an RV either. Just enjoy and build memories.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
-------
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mkl654321
Explorer
Explorer
Zebedee wrote:
first you tell me what I should and shouldn't post... Now you're telling me how I should respond to posts? I'm sorry if I'm not perfect like you.

Give up, Zebedee. This is not actually a forum about RVing. This is a place for bored, snarky old men to spew.

One thing the snarks have been saying is correct: your inquiry is a bit too broad. You have to decide what you want and then research popular brands within the category or categories you prefer. Your available price range (as well as your budget for maintenance) should factor into the decision.

Going down the line: Class A's are often shockingly badly constructed. You find quality only when you approach the $250,000, behemoth category. Class B's are hideously expensive for what you get, but they are more car/truck-like than other RVs and thus, are constructed with some semblance of quality. The prices reflect this. Class C's are better adapted to the chassis they are built on than Class A's, but you'll run into the same quality issues. If you get a fifth wheel or other trailer, the quality considerations will only apply to the "house."

Unfortunately, as far as the chassis goes, the vast majority of RVs (as opposed to trailers) are built on American chassis with American engines and transmissions, with all that implies. In particular, avoid anything built by Dodge/Chrysler, unless you are just buying an RV to decorate your driveway.

The sad fact is that the weight, drag, and inertia of even a small "house" exerts stresses on American truck/van chassis that well exceed original design limitations. You can tell when you fire one up and slip it into gear. It shudders, stumbles, and lurches forward at a snail's pace. The poor thing is working much too hard, especially because it's American-built. There is a reason why RVers consider a rig to be pooped out at 50K miles and junkyard fodder at 70K.

So if you want reliability, you have to get an engine that was designed to pull heavy, high-inertia loads. That means low-end torque, which means a diesel. You want a chassis that was designed to handle such a load, not a repurposed truck or van chassis. So you have to go the diesel (pusher) behemoth route, or there are some European conversions such as diesel Sprinter vans that you can explore.

My experiences with American-misbuilt RVs have been that something quits/breaks/falls off roughly every three minutes (every thirty seconds if the rig is actually moving). This is especially true for RVs built during Detroit's Age of Awful, roughly 1970-2000.

So the sad fact is that if you want quality, you have to get a van conversion, preferably European, or rob a bank and buy yourself a diesel behemoth that's built on a semi-truck or bus chassis.

To those who will no doubt have a rich array of comments in answer to this post: thank you so much for your levelheaded, reasoned, well-considered opinions, offered without any sarcasm/insults.

mkl654321
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
mkl654321 wrote:
Boy, some poor bastard asks a legitimate question, he gets 90% utterly unhelpful answers and gets talked at like he was an idiot--and then when he mildly expresses his dislike at such treatment, he gets piled on again.

You can definitely learn a lot about RVing from these forums, including that you probably don't want to come within 500 yards of other RVers!

Just because you are a "Senior Member" and have a Good Sam decal displayed everywhere doesn't give you the right to piddle on a newbie's head. The question asked was legitimate. The OP's mistake was in thinking that it would actually be answered.

if it was so easy, why didn't you answer it?:R

Who said it was an easy question to answer? I certainly didn't; what I said was that the question was legitimate.

That's a large part of the Internet rudeness you see on website forums; people will criticize you for things you didn't even say!!! People say nasty things that they wouldn't dare to say in face-to-face interactions, because it would earn them bloody noses.

I think that the OP had the mistaken impression that legitimate advice could be obtained on these forums. I feel that it is a certainty that most if not all of the snarkies who responded here do, in fact, have strong opinions, often shared in long, rambling conversations during long nights in Quartzite, as to which brands offer better quality than others. Those opinions, taken with the appropriate grain of salt, could be valuable.

But no, let's all jump up and down on the naรฏve newbie! It reinforces our sense of community and inflates our egos to do so!

AAFD
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Zebedee wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

You might want to narrow it down a bit. Motor homes? Truck campers? Travel trailers? Pop up trailers?

All of the above.

WOW! That's asking for a lot.

ALL brands have issues. No one makes a perfect RV.
ALL brands have some lemons.

Your original question is like asking what stare is the best or which car is the best.

Every brand have their fans and their haters.

Great point, also anything that drives down the our roads you will have some issues at some point:)

KC
2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
Towed Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
FMCA member

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, which one is the best compromise(quality-wise) that will be in my price range?
If were to be asked this question, I still would not know how to answer it.
IMO the buyers should know what features they want, and should know which specific
questions to ask about chassis, and floor, wall, roof design/construction.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Zebedee wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Zebedee wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

The problem is that you have started multiple threads asking for the best this and best that which is all very subjective. No one can tell you what you want to know, you have asked questions for which there is no correct answer.

Taking the shotgun approach won't work. I suggest you get comfortable, sit back in your recliner and spend many hours reading this and other forums. Then go to a dealer and spend many hours looking at all the models you are interested in considering.

Then come back and ask specific questions for which there are specific answers.

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is the way I work. I want subjectivity. That is why I am posting on an Internet forum.

Then you shouldn't be surprised when the answers don't meet your expectations. You have no call for getting snarky with respondents to your vague questions.
first you tell me what I should and shouldn't post... Now you're telling me how I should respond to posts? I'm sorry if I'm not perfect like you.

I offered some advice on how to find the answers you seek. You are free to ignore that advice if you wish but there is no benefit to you in copping an attitude.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Zebedee
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Zebedee wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

The problem is that you have started multiple threads asking for the best this and best that which is all very subjective. No one can tell you what you want to know, you have asked questions for which there is no correct answer.

Taking the shotgun approach won't work. I suggest you get comfortable, sit back in your recliner and spend many hours reading this and other forums. Then go to a dealer and spend many hours looking at all the models you are interested in considering.

Thanks for your suggestion, but this is the way I work. I want subjectivity. That is why I am posting on an Internet forum.

Then you shouldn't be surprised when the answers don't meet your expectations. You have no call for getting snarky with respondents to your vague questions.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
X-2

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
mkl654321 wrote:
Boy, some poor bastard asks a legitimate question, he gets 90% utterly unhelpful answers and gets talked at like he was an idiot--and then when he mildly expresses his dislike at such treatment, he gets piled on again.

You can definitely learn a lot about RVing from these forums, including that you probably don't want to come within 500 yards of other RVers!

Just because you are a "Senior Member" and have a Good Sam decal displayed everywhere doesn't give you the right to piddle on a newbie's head. The question asked was legitimate. The OP's mistake was in thinking that it would actually be answered.

if it was so easy, why didn't you answer it?:R
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mkl654321
Explorer
Explorer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Zebedee wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 4 friends that have bought 4 brand new MHs. Tiffin Bus which had to go back to Red Bay to fix the roof that was leaking due to design problems, Fleetwood DP whose roof was 2 ins short from the front cap and filled with Dicor and multiple other issues that caused him to sell within the year. Winnebago Adventurer that was plagued with electrical problems. Another Adventurer that was order new and came in with the wrong paint scheme and interior issuses and had to go back. In addition we have also heard many brands posted on here to the point where your afraid to buy anything. My conclusion is to buy at least a 3 year old MH that is fixed under warranty by the first owner to eliminate the major problems. Any brand can have problems. Secondly I would buy from a guy that does his own work and has kept up with all the routine maintenance. Thirdly I would look for mods and general appearance of the MH. Most people that do their own work will replace nails and staples with screws after draws and other stuff breaks,in general make improvements along the way. Look for storage, FW capacity(if you dry camp),CCC, HP/wt ratio,no leaks,no delamination and everything in working order. Lastly having said all that be prepared to fix things that break, nothing lasts for ever not even us.