cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

broke seal on toilet flange

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am replacing the flooring on my tt. And of course did not google this before I started. I unscrewed the toilet flange from the floor, but the flange did not come up, so I gave it a yank, and heard a noise like I broke the seal.
So, I am assuming I needed to "twist" the flange off. I did not see any more screws.
Now I am left with a loose flange, which I have no way of twisting off the lower portion since there is a lip (which I am assuming is what was glued to the tank) that prevents me from pulling the flange completely out.
Any ideas on what to do next?
It is a '95 Dutchman.
8 REPLIES 8

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You do need to verify what the material is to be certain. While ABS is most common, there are some polyethylene tanks out there.
-- Chris Bryant

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
yep would love to unscrew the flange from the fitting but someones infinite wisdom GLUED it!
I am hoping I can find the ABS solvent cement in a squeeze tube as it would be much easier to apply...

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
That should be ABS, so you would use ABS solvent cement. It would be easier if you could unscrew the flange from the fitting.
-- Chris Bryant

hannaloulou111
Explorer
Explorer
ok so I would not say it is broken... I would say the glue that held the lip to the the tank gave out. I really did not have to yank hard. (I yanked it thinking the flange was stuck inside the tube to the tank)
So, I can get my hand down the hole which is about 4 inches, and I can feel all around the lip and the top of the tank. I am thinking if I could get a small tube of something that I can squirt completely around in the flange I may be able to reseal it, but dont know what to use or if there is something out there available.
Can I use ProFlex rv sealant?

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
My flange unscrewed from the top of my tank. With yours broken off it might not be easy, but it's worth a try. If you pulled it out of the tank though you might have to drop the tank and get it fixed by someone who can spinweld plastic.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to say it, but dropping the tank is the next step ๐Ÿ˜ž
There are 2 ways the flanges are attached to tanks- with a glued on female fitting, or with a rubber collar. The rubber collar would have pulled out.

You mat be able to unscrew the fitting from the flange (or pipe, if it's a drop), but it's not likely to be easy.
-- Chris Bryant

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I found this (if you haven't already seen it.)
But, if you broke the pipe that connects to the holding tank, then I guess you have a huge problem and will need to access the top of the tank to see if you can replace the pipe with a joint or if you have to replace the entire tank....hopefully not.

Good luck with it.

RV toilet flange replacement VIDEO
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro