cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Snap-Up Bracket

Woolaroc
Explorer
Explorer
As I was unhooking today I broke the pipe hook (don't know the exact name of this piece on the bracket) off. Has this happened to anyone else. Kind of shocked that this occurred.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement for cheap? The bars I have are Pro Series, but I'm not sure that's what these brackets are. Are they fairly universal?
11 REPLIES 11

wrvond
Explorer II
Explorer II
Woolaroc wrote:
campigloo wrote:
Do you mean lift the truck before you put tension on the bars? Yes. I lift my truck waaay up to put tension on the bars or when I release them. Makes it easy with very little snap when removing.

Yes I mean lifting the truck, I don't think I'm doing too much of it currently.

Do you mean lifting the truck up to take tension OFF the bars, thus making it easier to engage and disengage the snap-up bracket?

The Reese instruction manual specifies lifting the hitch 6 to 8 inches using the tongue jack before connecting or releasing the chains.
If you have to go much higher than 8 inches you may be putting too much tension on your bars.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2023 Ram 6.7L Laramie Mega Cab

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
I lift the truck enough so that I can almost do the brackets without the bar. An electric tongue jack is the cat's arse for doing this.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Woolaroc, yes use the tongue jack after you attach the tongue to the ball to raise the rear of the truck, which makes it easier to snap the bars in place or remove them when unhooking (before you release the tongue from the ball). Raise the truck enough to remove most of the pressure from the bars, depending on the weight of the tongue, start with about 6 inches and work up from there if needed.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Woolaroc
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
Do you mean lift the truck before you put tension on the bars? Yes. I lift my truck waaay up to put tension on the bars or when I release them. Makes it easy with very little snap when removing.

Yes I mean lifting the truck, I don't think I'm doing too much of it currently.

Do you mean lifting the truck up to take tension OFF the bars, thus making it easier to engage and disengage the snap-up bracket?

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer

Woolaroc
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Do you use the tongue jack to take some pressure off the spring bars before setting or releasing? I have bent that piece before because I forgot to take some pressure off the system first.

I do take some off, but now I'm thinking that I haven't been taking enough off. Whenever I release it's been very violent, but after watching a lot of videos it looks like everyone is able to do this fairly easily. I didn't get the standard break over bar that comes with the kit so I'm using a longer pipe, it's a cinch to get hooked up but has always been scary unhooking. I'll try taking a lot more weight off next time. Should it lift the springs on my rear truck wheels when I jack it down?

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you use the tongue jack to take some pressure off the spring bars before setting or releasing? I have bent that piece before because I forgot to take some pressure off the system first.
Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.

Woolaroc
Explorer
Explorer
Ryan sent a pm to you, thanks!

They were on the trailer when I bought it used so don't know where they came from.

I don't think welding would be a good idea. The metal had a lot of pits in its core where it broke, looks like it was cast.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
It would be an easy fix for a MIG welder. How hard were you pulling on the pipe when it let go? I wonder if they shouldn't both be reworked or replaced.

Do you have a buddy with a welder, a six pack should cover the repair.

Good Luck...
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If you bought them from eTrailer.com they may help you out.

elivi8
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 from a curt hitch kit that I don't need anymore. They should fit your setup easily. PM me if you are interested.

Ryan
2012 F-150 EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow
2019 Outdoors Timber Ridge 27BHS
490 Watts of Solar