cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying An RV Lot

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
We're looking at buying an RV lot somewhere in Western Washington. I see a lot of properties with the caveat that you can only live there X number of days per year. Other properties don't mention it.

Is it a seasonal thing? I figure if it's mine I should be able to live there all year 'round. What say you?

Terry & Sherry
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired
36 REPLIES 36

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Ricebug wrote:

Is it a seasonal thing? I figure if it's mine I should be able to live there all year 'round. What say you?

I say you better check very carefully all of the covenants and restrictions before you buy to be sure the lot suits your needs.

Often, the rule not allowing full time residency satisfies local zoning laws.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The building codes and government regulations are very different for a temporary residence and a permanent residence. The parks are kept temporary to avoid the government getting involved.

Walk around and you will probably see license plates on all those park models which haven't moved in ten or twenty years. They have to stay a vehicle and not a house.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is all based on the local county ZONING LAWS. You need to contact them for the county laws you are wanting to live in. If they don't provide for what you are wanting to do then your only recourse is to move somewhere else...

In our Virginia County no one is allowed to 'LIVE' in an RV except at a State licensed Trailer Park place. You also cannot purchase a piece of land or lot and live in a RV until you get your house built etc... We are however allowed to park the RV on our property.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Like it or not, when you buy a piece of land, you agree to abide by the existing rules and regulations. It doesn't matter if said rules and regulations are due to an HOA or CCRs or state laws or county laws, you have to abide by them.
So, it behooves you to make sure you are aware of all such rules before signing on the dotted line!
Keep in mind that if there are CCRs, but no HOA, there is quite likely no one to enforce the CCRs. Local law enforcement usually has no authority to enforce CCRs. That is precisely our situation; while there are a few CCRs, there is no one with enforcement authority, so we (and our neighbors) can ignore them with total immunity!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Ricebug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply. We're trying to get in Olympia/Tumwater area.

Like all things, I'm sure it has to do with $$.
Terry DeLaney
USAF, Retired

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some "RV Lots" are basically just rentals. You're paying for the privilege of camping on that spot for X number of days. You don't really "own" anything, kind of like "owning" a time share.

This is one of those things where you really need to do some serious research on the particular place you're interested in, if you find one. Due diligence can save you some problems later.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
While I totally agree with you I do understand (I think) the reasoning. We are actually looking at more properties today at Port Susan Camping Club west of Marysville, WA.

The reasoning is that, the way it was explained to me, is if it is limited to 180 days per year then it is not governed by numerous laws that govern towns or cities. As a "camping club" there ARE many rules (52 pages!), but municipal codes are not in place.

Where are yiu looking?