cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Californianos Hang Onto Yer Britches...!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good idea to secure loose items, cover solar panels, and even tarp the rig...

The "Pineapple Express" is coming later today and it's my opinion the weather gurus are WAY understating the power of this storm. Mostly northern California but central California is not exempt.

Seenyore Niner Bikes might want to beware of hillsides that no longer want to play the side part.

And this storm is going to continue eastbound. All the way across the northern 48.

Having a minor in meteorology allow me to read weather charts and I have a very strong series of memories about the Pineapple Express. A huge storm passes, then a "surprise" storm follows on it's heels, then gurus chant "They're lined up all the way to Hawaii" then a few days later "Well, shut my mouth, now the storms extend all the way to the Philippines".

If there's one thing I have LOTS of experience with, its @#$%^&! storms and biblical quantities of rainfall.....grumble.....snarf.

Take care and don't bother washing the rig. This monster is going to test the watertight integrity of your rolling escape hatch...
91 REPLIES 91

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
We just got to Bakersfield, CA yesterday from Minnesota, wanted to get out of the cold. See the storm is coming and how best should we prepare? I’ve filled the water tank, full propane tanks have not put out anything that might blow away, plus have supplies for a week. We’re going to stay put and paid for a weeks stay. What else should we do from people familiar with these types of storms? Still have my winter survivor kit in the truck, but hopefully we won’t need it 🙂

Put on your bathing suite and work on your California Tan. Should be down right pleasant.... maybe head for the coast and camp on the beach midweek somewhere near Ventura just off the Ventura Highway, in the Sunshine.

'Murica

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Na, I don't see this as a big one. Sure there will be some flooding and issues but nothing out of the ordinary. Can't imagine it will be anything like the rains and flooding around 1850 that put all of Sacramento under water.

Just a day's rain. I relate the pineapple express to hard rain for a solid week or three.

http://www.nytimes.com/1862/01/21/news/the-great-flood-in-california-great-destruction-of-property-d...

As for drought, Folsom lake is now close to 70% of normal and rising steadily.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/resDetailOrig.action?resid=FOL

Let's watch that Folsom level for the next few months and see how close it gets to full. Should probably watch all reservoirs, not just Folsom.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Traveler II wrote:
We just got to Bakersfield, CA yesterday from Minnesota, wanted to get out of the cold. See the storm is coming and how best should we prepare? I’ve filled the water tank, full propane tanks have not put out anything that might blow away, plus have supplies for a week. We’re going to stay put and paid for a weeks stay. What else should we do from people familiar with these types of storms? Still have my winter survivor kit in the truck, but hopefully we won’t need it 🙂

I Googled Bakersfield and flooding and got a few hits for over the years. It depends where you are. eg

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/112194724.html
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Traveler II wrote:
We just got to Bakersfield, CA yesterday from Minnesota:)

You should just prepare to laugh your behind off at what passes for a storm in California, compared to what you see in Minnesota.

Perhaps if you were up at elevation you'd raise an eyebrow, but in the valley, You'll be doing a belly laugh.

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
rtz549 wrote:

I hope they route all that rain into their lakes and not let it run off into the ocean:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action

No rain in the Fall, no fish. If you build or buy on a flood plain, it's your problem!

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Good size swells are already massaging the coastline well south of point conception. I just got out of mother Pacific after riding some storm energy.

It is quite comical how the local media acts when there is a storm coming. Newcasters standing out in a light drizzle, in front of a puddle, saying how rainmageddon is upon us.

But what is sad is the mentality of the drivers. They speed up and tailgate more, apparently because they know that at some point, there will be a freeway blocking accident, and they need to get home before that occurs.

Makes perfect sense right?

The other half that dont speed up and tailgate, take selfies in the driver's seat being sure to include rain drops on the window, so they can tweet to all their followers, how inclement the weather truly is.

Then they speed up and tailgate.

Sound of shotgun being cocked.

BOOM!

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Love it when they say "we are on storm watch" for a trace of rain.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Na, I don't see this as a big one. Sure there will be some flooding and issues but nothing out of the ordinary. Can't imagine it will be anything like the rains and flooding around 1850 that put all of Sacramento under water.

Just a day's rain. I relate the pineapple express to hard rain for a solid week or three.

http://www.nytimes.com/1862/01/21/news/the-great-flood-in-california-great-destruction-of-property-d...

As for drought, Folsom lake is now close to 70% of normal and rising steadily.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/resDetailOrig.action?resid=FOL

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
SoCal goes into WeatherMergency every time a little rain rolls in. Visitors from the rest of the country would laugh themselves silly to see how this region goes bananas over a storm. And a lot of talk about "Will this end the drought?" in an area that only uses 20% of the imported water (the balance is agriculture) and insists that we cut back - but if we cut back 20%, that saves 20 X 20 X .01 = 4%. :?

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Bring it on.

I just cleaned out the rain gutters. They were filled with an inch of soot from the wild fires about 5 years ago.

MrWizard
Snow in the north Calif mountains
That's what we need
Most of what his us here in the south just runs off the street into the ocean
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Northern CA is going to get hammered. San Fran and Oakland has closed the schools Thurs and Fri in anticipation of what is coming. Southern California will get some of it, but not near what is about to hit Nor Cal. Stay safe.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sorry I didn't have a choice when it came to washing the rig. some one egged me last night. thankfully it was not real hot out side.

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer

I hope they route all that rain into their lakes and not let it run off into the ocean:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/resapp/getResGraphsMain.action