cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Californianos Hang Onto Yer Britches...!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good idea to secure loose items, cover solar panels, and even tarp the rig...

The "Pineapple Express" is coming later today and it's my opinion the weather gurus are WAY understating the power of this storm. Mostly northern California but central California is not exempt.

Seenyore Niner Bikes might want to beware of hillsides that no longer want to play the side part.

And this storm is going to continue eastbound. All the way across the northern 48.

Having a minor in meteorology allow me to read weather charts and I have a very strong series of memories about the Pineapple Express. A huge storm passes, then a "surprise" storm follows on it's heels, then gurus chant "They're lined up all the way to Hawaii" then a few days later "Well, shut my mouth, now the storms extend all the way to the Philippines".

If there's one thing I have LOTS of experience with, its @#$%^&! storms and biblical quantities of rainfall.....grumble.....snarf.

Take care and don't bother washing the rig. This monster is going to test the watertight integrity of your rolling escape hatch...
91 REPLIES 91

MrWizard
Glendora got it hard in the first storm
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Highway 4x4 wrote:
In La Verne we got some good rain but I have seen much more here. About 5 miles West to Glendora there was some mud but not as bad as it could be. My old Adco cover is still on the TT so not much wind here. The news always tries to make it more than it is so you watch it. The season is just starting.

actually it was very rough in some places

just because you didn't get hit.. doesn't mean nobody else did

another problem with SoCal
the same news cast i get in Van Nuys or Reseda
you and everybody else in a 75mile radius of mount Wilson gets
Laverne is how many miles from Ventura and Camarillo 60? 90?
the coastal side and the hills
Always gets hit harder,
then the southern end of the storm comes around and floods the desert communities

I thought I was clear that I was talking about LaVerne and not the entire state. I was only talking about LaVerne. I only mentioned Glendora because it was on the news so much. There was some mud in some yards there but nothing like many expected.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Getting hit, HARD, in San Diego. Screw the 10 footers, locals only!

URBAN boogie boarding. ABC news San Diego.

MrWizard
Highway 4x4 wrote:
In La Verne we got some good rain but I have seen much more here. About 5 miles West to Glendora there was some mud but not as bad as it could be. My old Adco cover is still on the TT so not much wind here. The news always tries to make it more than it is so you watch it. The season is just starting.

actually it was very rough in some places

just because you didn't get hit.. doesn't mean nobody else did

another problem with SoCal
the same news cast i get in Van Nuys or Reseda
you and everybody else in a 75mile radius of mount Wilson gets
Laverne is how many miles from Ventura and Camarillo 60? 90?
the coastal side and the hills
Always gets hit harder,
then the southern end of the storm comes around and floods the desert communities
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Don't blame the builders exclusively. They obtained the construction approvals and permits from the city.

The city organizers/politicians want the growth, and the increased tax base and $$$$, You'd probably not be surprised how many of them have connections to developer's deep pockets, those politicians.

What is being talked about here is property in the county, not in the city... being developed.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Don't blame the builders exclusively. They obtained the construction approvals and permits from the city.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I am not worried at all we are a few feet from the San Andreas fault line and the RV just rocks, earthquakes never bothered me, a flash flood is something else.

As for innocent buyer's they do not Know that the land developer did not do a good study of the dangers that are waiting to spring upon them by greedy builders.

I have lived in California for more than 40 years and it bafles me when I see the construction going up in an alluvial plain or a former sedimentary plain turned into a hill or mountain with no proper stabilizing foundations.

navegator

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
---snip---
now we are going to wait for the ground to move as in earthquake.
---snip---
navegator
HUSH !
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
300 vehicle accidents in four hours county of San Diego, first the State gets BARBEQUED and now the hills are ALIVE, now we are going to wait for the ground to move as in earthquake.

It is terrible that the land developers do not pay attention to the hydrology or the topography of the land that they develop and innocents pay the price.

navegator

Nobody twists buyer's arms to purchase hillside homes (great view!),
Or with a humongous hill/mountain adjoining the backyard.

Same for riverside property anywhere in the USA.

So - How innocent are the "innocents"?

San Diego County's neighboring counties all have County Fire Departments. San Diego has none.

The "not-so" innocents choose *not* to fund a county fire department.

They pay the price when major brush fires destroy *WAY* more property (and sometimes lives) than floods/rain.

Earthquakes? - - The sky is falling!
Long time CA resident.
Also in TX (military) for a tornado "up close & personal".
EQ epicenter - paths of tornadoes - hurricanes = Not good!..:(
I'll take the EQs.

YMMV - but if you're *really* worried.......you should MOVE!..;)

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
300 vehicle accidents in four hours county of San Diego, first the State gets BARBEQUED and now the hills are ALIVE, now we are going to wait for the ground to move as in earthquake.

It is terrible that the land developers do not pay attention to the hydrology or the topography of the land that they develop and innocents pay the price.

navegator

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
From the local paper:

"The storm dropped more than 8 inches in some areas, raised Lake Shasta more than 17 feet and sent water roaring down creeks into the Sacramento River. And it provided 12 inches of snow to the top of the Mt. Shasta Ski Park."
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
That was a decent start to our season. Hopefully it keeps up with above average snow and rain fall. Hoping for a way better than average snow fall to get our snow pack back to at least normal and hopefully above normal.

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Here in metro San Diego, we got an intense downpour that tapered off after a couple of hours, the rest of the county didn't fair as well...floods, downed trees, etc.

We usually have 50 vehicular accidents per day. On rainy days that multiplies to 200/day. Yesterday there were 400+ accidents.

I'm thinking rain has been such a rarity that when it does rain, southern Californians are too busy looking up at the sky instead of keeping there eyes on the road.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter