cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Californianos Hang Onto Yer Britches...!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Might be a good idea to secure loose items, cover solar panels, and even tarp the rig...

The "Pineapple Express" is coming later today and it's my opinion the weather gurus are WAY understating the power of this storm. Mostly northern California but central California is not exempt.

Seenyore Niner Bikes might want to beware of hillsides that no longer want to play the side part.

And this storm is going to continue eastbound. All the way across the northern 48.

Having a minor in meteorology allow me to read weather charts and I have a very strong series of memories about the Pineapple Express. A huge storm passes, then a "surprise" storm follows on it's heels, then gurus chant "They're lined up all the way to Hawaii" then a few days later "Well, shut my mouth, now the storms extend all the way to the Philippines".

If there's one thing I have LOTS of experience with, its @#$%^&! storms and biblical quantities of rainfall.....grumble.....snarf.

Take care and don't bother washing the rig. This monster is going to test the watertight integrity of your rolling escape hatch...
91 REPLIES 91

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
---snip---
people here seem incapable of slowing down driving like they have some sense
most commute many more miles two-three times the distance of workers in the rest of the country
OR, they drive like they've never seen water before...

Or they don't have a license to drive, never read the handbook from the DMV, and are slow learners in hydrodynamics. Driving on public roads should not be an e ticket ride.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
---snip---
most commute many more miles two-three times the distance of workers in the rest of the country
OR, they drive like they've never seen water before...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MrWizard
yes the weather men get all excited
but the terrain is so varied, many different Micro climates
the PE is large long and trails lots of scattered fronts
one area can get almost nothing, and a few miles away will get pounded
Camarillo Springs had a big rock slide, no loss of life, but many houses totaled
even a small tornado in south LA, long beach area
geologically this is a very unstable area
a Midwest thunder storm..that does no damage ecept a few trees and the River level, can bring down whole hill sides here.. even ones that are NOT burned out
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in the San Joaquin Valley we got a good amount of rain but the real story was the wind. I had one tree snap off at the trunk and the pool is a real mess. Been working all day getting pool cleaned and cutting up enough of the tree to get it at least off the neighbors yard. Wouldn't you know it right in the middle and my chainsaw decides to sputter and die.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
PE is more of a series of warm storms that continues for weeks.
Some years ago I remember rain every day for two months straight. Not always hard but some rain every day.

Some were hit harder with this one but in So Cal it was hardly a moderate storm.

Hills and houses start sliding more in February after a wet Dec/Jan has the hillsides already saturated before a strong one hits. Too dry going into this one to be much bother.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Pardon me if I have to smile at this so-called 'storm'.
In CA they worry about a few inches of rain? Think I'd worry more about earthquakes.

I guess you haven't been in CA when a big Express hits. Like ten or fifteen feet of snow and whole families wiped out by mud and trees.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Well it was a big one but not the Pineapple Express of yesteryear which is good. I sure hope we have another two or three just like it. I have a friend who says it is not a real PE unless houses slide down hills and lives are lost. Sick puppy.

Folsom Lake is getting a lot of water, 40 percent full 12/12/14 ..
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

MrWizard
Nice wet rain..This storm not as heavy "for us" as the last one
But the prediction is possible thunderstorms this afternoon
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
It was a definite squall!

We are at ocean mesa just north of Goleta/Santa Barbara. it wasn't "that" bad. I've been thru worse. But the kids were watching intently. I had a gauge out.. 5 inches last night... but i think thats a bit off.

I was looking at wether underground and really wasn't able to get an accurate rainfall total. Some reported 2 inches, some 6. I'd say the average was 1.2 - 2.2 inches.

beautiful morning though!
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Quick hard moving Squall line came thru @ 3:50 AM, rain at 7.5 in per hour, lasted about 2 min. dumped 1/2 inch in about 10min. time. Also winds clocked @ 26mph

Now 5 hours later rain fall is at 1.54in. Raining off and on.

THIS happened just a few blocks from me.

Another Agenda 21 "mixed use" remodel failure, the anti thesis of being an RV owner/operator. They want to keep all of us off the roads, out of the country, and locked down without mobility, in the city, under the eye of constant camera surveillance.
Oh and that huge Los Angeles Downtown construction fire, another mixed use building. I've no love for mixed use, keep the business district business, and the residential district residential.

Los Angeles mixed use building construction fire.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quick hard moving Squall line came thru @ 3:50 AM, rain at 7.5 in per hour, lasted about 2 min. dumped 1/2 inch in about 10min. time. Also winds clocked @ 26mph

Now 5 hours later rain fall is at 1.54in. Raining off and on.

THIS happened just a few blocks from me.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Nice steady but not crazy heavy rain. They just fertilized the golf course and all the lawns here at Outdoor Resorts Palm Springs. Should be amazingly green in a few days. Watched a fifth wheel pull in a while ago and get soaked in the set up process. Sucks to be them. ๐Ÿ™‚ Not cold here though. Nice to see water in the washes. Hopefully some of it makes it to the Salton Sea. It could use it. Just took Radar for his walk. An unimpressed chihuahua.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Just from hurricane experience, if I were in the path of that storm sitting in a CG that is on a flood plain I would be pulling up stakes & getting out now before the weather makes up. I would be heading for a safer CG or even a well drained elevated Walmart carpark or such till the storm goes by.

Reacting to a storm in the middle of it is too late.

True that. But a foot hill walmart could be a mudslide walmart too.

Been strong and steady since about midnight in the San Fernando Valley, and still brief deluges coming and going now.

http://www.weather.com/storms/severe/video/major-storm-brings-snow-to-sierra-nevada

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just from hurricane experience, if I were in the path of that storm sitting in a CG that is on a flood plain I would be pulling up stakes & getting out now before the weather makes up. I would be heading for a safer CG or even a well drained elevated Walmart carpark or such till the storm goes by.

Reacting to a storm in the middle of it is too late.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MrWizard
we are getting wet..but it not much rain yet
BUT the wind gusts are building
they got hammered pretty good up in SF
I can explain it to you.