cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper or hotel?

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
This is why we bring our "hotel on wheels" wherever we go. Makes you really love your camper!

clicky
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift
23 REPLIES 23

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
DD worked at mid-priced hotel chain in housekeeping. They were given x number of rooms to clean in a shift and if they didn't get through them all in those hours they were written up.

She said they'd brush the sheets off and leave them on the beds, refold towels if they didn't look that "used", and just rinse out the shower/tub. But the WORST was when she told me she'd seen her co-workers (not her -- this made her physically ill) use the SAME rag they cleaned the tub or toilet with to wipe out the coffee carafe!!

DS works as a server in a popular diner. He said the reason steak knives are always pushed UNDER the steak on your plate is not to keep them from falling off. It's because those serrated edges don't always come clean in the dishwasher. So to avoid the customer wanting a "clean" knife, they are told to just shove it under the steak so you'll assume the junk on it came from YOUR steak.
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Love my fifth wheel but can't take it everywhere. When we visit my daughter at college it's the Hampton Inn, always nice and clean and never any problems. We never leave laptops or anything of value just laying around we take them with is if there easily concealed and taken.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
After our 2nd season with tt, 18 year old daughter just asked me "if we ever get to stay in hotels again?" My reply- not if we can help it!

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have to work out of town and had to stay in Motels. One time I did not have to leave the motel I was staying in and watched a family load all their belongings in their car and drive away on to their next destination. Shortly the maid showed up went in just long enough to make up the bed for the next guest no clean linen went into the room just dirty towels got changed out......UCK I wondered how the next guest would have felt if they knew some one else had slept on those sheets the night before.....

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also spent a lot of time on the road before I retired from my job, almost always staying at medium tier hotels such as Hampton Inns (my favorite). But now our deal-breaker would be our dog or cat (even one year a goldfish!). We even use our camper when visiting friends or relatives, but of course the size of our rig makes it easy to park almost anywhere.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Ann wrote:
As a regional sales manage I spent almost 40 years working out of hotels and motel. I never had a problem with theft, bed bugs, etc.
We travel in an RV only because it is what we like to do. It is also a problem finding hotels that allow dogs without a big up charge. Our dogs are part of our family as they allow us to travel with them.

Can't speak to the theft, issue - however if you're stupid enough to leave something valuable in your room....Maid Murphy may find you.

Must disagree with the BB statement.....
Bed bugs aren't new - like kids with head lice!
No doubt both have been around a long time - just more prevalent now.

The bugs/lice *don't* discriminate and are world travelers.

Managing a Little League team "way back when" (your 40 year range) - and a very well-off mom was very embarrassed to have to tell me to only use a specific batting helmet for her kid, as he had head lice.

I have a friend in mgmt for a major (expensive, up-scale) hotel chain - and yes, they have had problems with BBs...:(

~

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I don't stay in hotels often but, I've never had a problem with the room being cleaned up if I just hang the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. As for this video it doesn't disturb me, she didn't steal anything.

Truthfully, she looks more like someone the cops sent in pretending to be a room cleaner while she was actually looking for evidence of something. Maybe she really is the cleaning lady and had recently gotten into trouble. The police cut her a deal saying if she brings them evidence of a crime she will be better off. So she starts looking through stuff in the rooms to she if she can find something wrong. All the stuff she looks at is the sort of thing you would look through if you were trying to find out if someone is doing something wrong.

Maybe she saw the guy come in the hotel and though he was cute. She is looking for something they have in common so she can start up a conversation with him and ,,,,well you know.

Truth is without talking to her we will never know why she did it. Could be countless number of reasons. Let your imagination run wild.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
lfcjasp wrote:
I've cleaned in hotels...didn't have time to snoop. Get in, clean up and get on to the next room. NO overtime, the fewer hours it took to get your batch of rooms done, the better.

We picked up bedbugs...we never were quite sure, but had stayed one night in a very nice hotel. Fighting the vermin really pushed us to get an rv. So much nicer...our own little motel or home away from home:-)

As a management intern I was assigned to clean rooms for 5 days as part of a cross training program - the full roster of 12 rooms. Went to HR the 3rd day and said this wasn't what I signed up for and refused to do it anymore even if they terminated my contract. They didn't fire me BUT I learned some important lessons: 1) home attendants work seriously hard for their money and deserve the utmost respect and 2)crying like a wussy lil girl can get you what you want. Sometimes. Assuming you want to debase your self in that manner and goodness mercy I did:B.

You can acquire bedbugs anywhere so I don't make myself crazy about it.

Hotel vs RV?
Depends on the hotel and the RV. I've seen some funky looking RV interiors, homes and hotel rooms in my time.

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
wrote:
...I spent almost 40 years working out of hotels and motel. I never had a problem with theft, bed bugs, etc.

It's a different game, now.
A family emergency that requires my immediate presence is the only reason I would consider staying in a hotel (or flying on a commercial airline).
http://www.bedbugpestcontrol.com/category/bed-bugs-world/bed-bugs-united-states

It's only going to get worse.

I won't go to movie theaters, either, and rarely eat out, but I'm nowhere close to being a vegetarian.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
And you think you're immune?

Clicky :S
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
I've cleaned in hotels...didn't have time to snoop. Get in, clean up and get on to the next room. NO overtime, the fewer hours it took to get your batch of rooms done, the better.

We picked up bedbugs...we never were quite sure, but had stayed one night in a very nice hotel. Fighting the vermin really pushed us to get an rv. So much nicer...our own little motel or home away from home:-)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are not mutually exclusive to us. We love staying in the RV but in there places and certain events we choose motels.

For beach weekends, there are few options in Florida and I won't put my motorhome in the salt air. There is an abundance of great motels on the ocean and Gulf.

For something like our Anniversary we sometimes might get a room in a nice Hotel in Cocoanut Grove in the midst of great restaurants, live music and shops.

All in walking distance.

We shy away from the cheapest crummy chains.

If were are going to rent a room it's going to be a nice one.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
I qualified for a concealed carry permit, just so there could never be a question about a firearm in my RV. So much for feeling safer in an RV than a hotel. I now feel safer anywhere.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
UGH. it is everywhere, in every situation. people doing bad things ๐Ÿ™‚

love my camper vs. a hotel. haven't been in one in over 15 years and no plans to do so in the future.