cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camping or Glamping?

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you use your own equipment, and not “renting”, but reside in a nice, self-contained unit.....is it camping or glamping?

After listening to my wife read about “glamping”.....I discovered that we may have been “glamping” since the ‘60’s! 🙂 What say you?

If your tent is made of modern synthetics rather than animal skins.....are you “glamping”?

Where does it all end? Someone help me, I am confused! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl
73 REPLIES 73

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can believe that about Indy. If you look up "price gouging" in the dictionary, you'll a picture of Indianapolis on any race weekend.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last half century of hunting and fishing, camping has meant sleeping in a sleeping bag outdoors on the ground; in the back of a pickup truck; on a picnic table (that will cripple a young man); in tents; and in truck campers. But now it's in a 37 ft Class A motorhome that hauls all the conveniences we could desire.

We are headed for the Indy 500 in the morning with all our conveniences. The speedway offers "Glamping" packages and it's sold out. Race weekend packages range from $1300 - $1600 for tents and $4000 for a tiny house. They describe it as,"Glamping offers the great experience of camping but with the amenities of a hotel.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
"Im conservative, pack a gun legally, am a pro-life christian but understand not everyone shares my views. I served 22 years in the military so we, as Americans can have the freedom to choose, freedom of religion (or none if so desired), and freedom to call it glamping or whatever you want to call it."

Sounds like what you're saying, only different words.

And, thanks for your service

yep

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
"Im conservative, pack a gun legally, am a pro-life christian but understand not everyone shares my views. I served 22 years in the military so we, as Americans can have the freedom to choose, freedom of religion (or none if so desired), and freedom to call it glamping or whatever you want to call it."

Sounds like what you're saying, only different words.

And, thanks for your service

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I served 11 years in the US ARMY, 63/75. I have my own religious beliefs and they are personal. I do not want to change others beliefs nor do I care what they believe.

I teach CCW and believe in gun control. I do not think the answer to school murders is guns in the hand of minimally trained persons. I am a retired Police Officer. I do not agree massive magazine capacity are necessary for anything shooting at people. I can only use a gun capable of holding 3 rounds to hunt Waterfowl. Yet 40 round mags are sold to insane people that murder in mass.

I do not care if a female has an abortion it ain't my job to tell others what to do with their lives. Abortion is a religious issue, not a medical or legal matter. Abortion was not on the plate until politicians discovered they could press hot buttons and get votes by proclaiming religious dogma.

I also use our RV to take my comfort with us. I enjoy setting up in the rain without getting out until the rains ends if I need to put out awnings.
We can take our little dogs with us and not have to find a hotel that accepts pets.

We particularly like the PAC NW.

zigzagrv wrote:
Walaby wrote:
I glamp, RV, camp or whatever you want to call it. I enjoy my comfort and not afraid to say it.

Im opposite of Bigredcav1 on several of his items. But, we do agree on some. I do enjoy state/federal parks far more than any RV park. Only use RV park as last resort.

Im conservative, pack a gun legally, am a pro-life christian but understand not everyone shares my views. I served 22 years in the military so we, as Americans can have the freedom to choose, freedom of religion (or none if so desired), and freedom to call it glamping or whatever you want to call it.

Mike

Wish more folks were like you guys.

Thanks for your service!

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV'ing

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I glamp, RV, camp or whatever you want to call it. I enjoy my comfort and not afraid to say it.

Im opposite of Bigredcav1 on several of his items. But, we do agree on some. I do enjoy state/federal parks far more than any RV park. Only use RV park as last resort.

Im conservative, pack a gun legally, am a pro-life christian but understand not everyone shares my views. I served 22 years in the military so we, as Americans can have the freedom to choose, freedom of religion (or none if so desired), and freedom to call it glamping or whatever you want to call it.

Mike

Thanks for your service!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
We do not camp we travel. We do so in our motorhome and use it as our hotel room. We don't like NASCAR or fires creating obnoxious smoke. We dine out a lot. We like state and federal parks. Have no use for swimming pools or playgrounds. Abhor others forcing their choice of music (noise) upon us. Really don't care what your religion is and do not want to meet Jesus.

We enjoy conversations and pot lucks but do not adhere to right-wing politics and absolutely don not care if a woman has an abortion that is none of my business.

Our dogs are well kept and we pick up after them. If others were as cognizant of their children's messes it would be wonderful.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glamping is the kind of term used by people in New York writing bad magazine articles.
Nessmuk wrote about roughing it around 1900. He also talked a lot about smoothing it and being as comfortable as possible. At that time Americans were reclaiming their lost wild roots and jumped on the concept of roughing it.

Never feel apologetic about being comfortable and enjoying yourself. Let someone else call it whatever they want.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
About 20 years ago (maybe more?), a co-worker and his wife decided to try camping with us at Glamis. They had ATV's, and so they bought a tent and other "camping" gear, although they shared the cooking and bathroom facilities in our class C. At one point, the wife said to us; "Your RV is nice, but it's not really camping". I told her that I go to Glamis (or other locations) mainly to ride (or jetski, or...), and the less time and energy I have to spend setting up and tearing down "camp", the more time and energy I have to do what I'm actually there to do. She said she still preferred the tent.

That night, the wind came up and it rained cats & dogs.

The next month's trip came...and they joined us again...but in their own motorhome!:B

I've camped in everything from tents to my class A. I still do most of our cooking outside (albeit on a gas grille/griddle) and we spend most of our time outside around the campfire (yes, sometimes a gas fire if woodfires are not allowed). And admittedly there is a very broad gray line between camping and glamping within the RV world, from boondocking to high-end RV resorts with paved/landscaped roads, streetlights, clubhouses, pools, etc. But if I'm not at home, and I'm not in a fixed stick & brick building, then AFAIC I'm camping. YMMV.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Only time we've done anything that might be called "glamping" was in February when we did an African Safari.

We did stay in tents most nights but those tents had:
- Concrete/Tile floors
- King Size Canopy Beds.
- Full household size showers.
- Flushing porcelain toilets.
- Fine dining at the restaurant.
- Maid service daily.

Oh and Masai warriors to walk you back to your tent after dark because of the hyenas (and yes we found footprints within a couple feet of the entrance in the morning)

Now we’re onto something important! Was this a photo Safari, or did we get to enjoy the awesome smell of burned gunpowder? 😉 Either way, I hope that you enjoyed your “glamping”! :B
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Only time we've done anything that might be called "glamping" was in February when we did an African Safari.

We did stay in tents most nights but those tents had:
- Concrete/Tile floors
- King Size Canopy Beds.
- Full household size showers.
- Flushing porcelain toilets.
- Fine dining at the restaurant.
- Maid service daily.

Oh and Masai warriors to walk you back to your tent after dark because of the hyenas (and yes we found footprints within a couple feet of the entrance in the morning)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I would argue an RV qualifies as "temporary" and "other structures" and no everyone doesn't use it to mean tent camping. Been camping for the last 50yr and everyone I know includes the use of RV's when talking about camping.

Exactly!
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Campfire Time wrote:
Look up the definition of the word "camp". When all is said and done pretty much any kind of RVing could be considered camping. The general definition that everyone uses is that camping is only in tents, and that's to please others, not ourselves. I don't really care what people call what I do.

Dictionary definition: A place with temporary accommodations of huts, tents, or other structures, typically used by soldiers, refugees, prisoners, or travelers.

I would argue an RV qualifies as "temporary" and "other structures" and no everyone doesn't use it to mean tent camping. Been camping for the last 50yr and everyone I know includes the use of RV's when talking about camping.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started Camping when I was 20. I'm 57 now. Tent, sleeping bags with no air mattresses or even bag pads. A couple of coleman lanterns, a coleman fuel stove and a couple milk crates of stuff to cook and eat with shoved in a 1978 Camaro trunk if you remember how small those were. Tent camped until I was 49. Bought a used popup that we used for 3 years before it rotted out from the "repaired water leak" the previous owner told me about. Bought a new small TT that we used for 6 years.

Last fall I bought the toyhauler that I wanted for retirement camping a few years early along with a golf cart to match it. Yea, I got a 40" TV in it and a residential fridge. Yea, we are likely going to be spending a great percentage of our time in campgrounds with full hookups in or close to places we to be.

I've loaded a canoe with a friend and a couple dry bags and camped, canoed and portaged everything we brought along the South Fork River in Tn plenty of times so I've roughed it. Most of them 4 day or longer trips. I've had enough roots in my back, rocks under my arm that I used as a pillow for this lifetime. I earned that badge already. Was time to move on. If I had access to the money needed, I would changed a lot sooner to a "GLAMPER", lol.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.