cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping World-fool me once....

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I did it again. I ordered something from Camping World against my better judgement. I ordered a light fixture and with the item description was a statement that read "in stock ready for shipping". So I waited and waited until 2 weeks had passed with no word on shipping. I sent an e mail for an update. That was 3 days ago, no reply. I called customer assistance today for information. I mentioned the e mail I had sent to the agent. She said "oh, I saw that, it is much better if you call". She put me on hold again while she checked with the manufacturer of the fixture. She said it will be shipped after the 5th of July because it was back ordered. I told her to cancel the order. Oh, I forgot to mention they charged my credit card the day I ordered the fixture.
About 10 days after my initial order I searched for this same fixture online and found at least 3 other sites that had this in stock. Two of them at cheaper prices and all with reasonable ship dates.
When I first started using Camping World almost 20 years ago, it was usually an easy and inexpensive vender to deal with. Through the years I have noticed the service decline and recently customer service has been horrific. I read stories here on the forum about their poor service and terrible road side assistance and it makes me wonder, who let this get so bad? Is this Marcus guy a magician they created to fool us into complacency?
Besides venting my frustrations, I am writing this to others to SHOP AROUND!
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL
24 REPLIES 24

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Never buy anything from camping world and have it shipped, even if the idem is a really good price the shipping will kill you
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:

Everybody charges you before they ship. Amazon, LL Bean etc - how could they ship if they did not know your credit card was good !

I think they...Amazon, LL Bean and all other outfit we order from only place a "pending" authorization charge on your card and only when they ship do they convert the "authorization" to an actual charge.

We order from Amazon two or three times a week and they have never charged before shipment and, yes, I check our credit card charges daily on the web.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
CW was a good supplier and at times still is
But as they say on shark tank "I'M OUT

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
As with any purchase, it's worth your time to shop wisely. I'm a die hard Chevy guy, meaning "brand loyalty." Some folks are brand loyal to Camping World too. But maybe, just maybe, it's time for us die hards to get out of our comfort zones????

I always have been a GM guy and very loyal when purchasing new. I did shop around and test drive Ford before I bought my last Truck. It actually came down to comfort for me. To me the seat in the GMC was much more comfortable the the Ford.
Comparison test was Sierra Denali vs Ford's Platnum.

I also have ordered online from camping world many times. Never had an issue. Always received merchandise in a few days.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I'm wrong but I think it is against the law to charge your card before they ship

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Putting a pending charge on a credit card is standard practice. Saying something is in stock when it's not in stock is not standard practice for a reputable vendor.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

jrobert01
Explorer
Explorer
I have always got good service at CW and have used GS road service several times and never had a problem.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
rr2254545 wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
CAMPING WORLD IS A BIG JOKE !!!!

266 posts on here and you bite the hand that feeds this site

They get a lot more abuse than that on the CW sub forums here...

Marcus can very easily have the complainers removed from posting. Wouldn't that be nice. :S

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Dennis12 wrote:
CAMPING WORLD IS A BIG JOKE !!!!

266 posts on here and you bite the hand that feeds this site

They get a lot more abuse than that on the CW sub forums here...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now you are making me nervous, Dutch. Me buy a Ford? Lol
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered from Camping World for the first time on Monday the 26th. I haven't heard a thing from them. It is on my card though.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had a problem with internet orders from Camping World. Usually I receive my order within a few days. Once part of my order was delayed a week or so due to a back order.

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Last Friday ordered via their web site two folding rockers which they had on sale. Went thru the order process, received next day confirm via email showing confirm and when it out. Also included ups tracking number as well as date of rocker delivery. Today they arrived as promised.

Not all camping world experiences are negative. Have ordered various items over years and have never had problem or complaint.
Kennyg

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
jarata1 wrote:
They shouldn't charge credit card till shipped

Everybody charges you before they ship. Amazon, LL Bean etc - how could they ship if they did not know your credit card was good !
They do a "hold" prior to shipping to confirm available credit and reserve the funds. They complete the charge when shipped. A similar thing happens when you buy gas - they reserve some amount when you swipe your card, then charge the actual amount when they know it exactly. Standard practice.