cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3100 - running an AC - how many hrs out of a tank?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me how many hours a Champion 3100 inverter generator will run on a tank while running a roof air?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
67 REPLIES 67

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
Followup after 1-year:

My Champion 3100 still runs great after adding the Extended Run option. No leaks and engines runs great. As for new ideas, this season I ran about a gallon of gas with Seafoam mixed in to give it a nice clean up. I think that helped because unless its my imagination, I think the ole' 3100 is running even smoother now.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for the great pdf lists and pictures.
I had no experience with marine quick connect parts and would have never figured it out on my own.

Cost was a big issue for me so I got the chinese knockoff fuel pump, filter and bulb hose with connections. I must say they all are working great so far. I have an extra pump, two extra filters, a few feet of fuel line, fuel cutoff valves and clamps and everything was still less then oem.

One of my brass connect fittings was faulty and just spewed fuel everywhere but amazon sent a new one right away with no hassle. Is there any way to fix the broken one? Also looking for a good way to cap these so dust doesn't get in there and clog them up when travelling.

The only thing that tripped me up was positioning the fuel pump. I had it centered when it really needs to be over away from the carb side so there is room to connect the hose off the t connect.

It was kind of fun setting it all up and hopefully after a year I will be back saying how great it still works.

Unyalli
Explorer
Explorer
I know the OP already has a gas only champ. I sold my twin 2000's with parallel kit and got one of the new 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generators. Removing the regulator from the propane motor and plumbing RV propane quick connect fittings you can connect to the outside grill quick connect and have endless extended run via the RV propane auto switch over.

- Jeff
2016 Cougar 26RBI
2015 Ford F150 CC 3.5L Ecoboost Max Tow

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
oneluv1979 wrote:
I know this is old thread but its the first link on google when searching run time on a 1.6gal tank on 3100...

I just wanted to add that i get about 7-8hrs to a tank running a 13500btu ac at night time in south fl.. which is enough for me.. Day time i have not checked as that is not my worry.. Figured i would add my experience with these awesome machines.

What size tank are you using for this? I haven't converted mine yet since I have had no plans to boondock this year.

oneluv1979
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is old thread but its the first link on google when searching run time on a 1.6gal tank on 3100...

I just wanted to add that i get about 7-8hrs to a tank running a 13500btu ac at night time in south fl.. which is enough for me.. Day time i have not checked as that is not my worry.. Figured i would add my experience with these awesome machines.
2008 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 32'
Tow Vehicle: 2004 Cadillac Escalade (thinks its a diesel)

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I have all the parts including the tank on my Amazon wishlist for this. Just waiting to see if this is something that I would actually put to use, and if so, will click the add to cart option.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Followup after 1-year:

My Champion 3100 still runs great after adding the Extended Run option. No leaks and engines runs great. As for new ideas, this season I ran about a gallon of gas with Seafoam mixed in to give it a nice clean up. I think that helped because unless its my imagination, I think the ole' 3100 is running even smoother now.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

pbmazda32
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to add the pinella's kit to my 3100 so i can go a whole night with A\C while dry camping. But right now i get about 5-6 hours running the 15,000 btu roof A\C which i think is pretty good. once the camper cools down it doesnt really seem to cycle the compressor to much.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
As info - I now have over 100 hrs using the extended run kit "HBILLSMITH" lined out and have had zero issues even though the fuel filter bowl seems to be always almost empty. I have used it at 12000 ft elevations for days as well. A very worthwile investment.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
drumming102 wrote:
i didn't use your EXACT parts (because i hadn't see your write up yet) but I run into an issue with my install where the genny drinks the fuel filter dry well way too fast. Changing the fuel filter this week to see if I can pinpoint the issue

Make sure the check valve you used is sized correct. If its too big and allows too much air to the pump that could be your issue.
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
I just ran our new 3100 in 103 degrees temps outside full sun running 1 AC in a 30' fifth wheel for two days. We were able to get 4 1/2 hrs of run time on a tank of gas on eco-mode. It seemed to be running at 3/4 speed because if i flipped to full run it would speed up some. I was very happy with its performance and ease. I was very pleased with how quiet it is in a campground. I walked to the next camp on both sides and could barley hear it. Our neighbor next to us complemented how quiet and asked what brand because he needed a bigger one to run the AC because his Honda 2000i could not. He didn't want to drop another grand on A Honda to run AC a few times a year. I told him I was the same and went with the 3100 and sold my Honda for $650 to a friend and bought the 3100 for $699. So far for the few times a year i will even use a generator I am very happy with the 3100.

Was this on the stock tank, or the aux tank? I have plans to go to Iowa next year and past years have been hot and humid, so AC will be needed. Want to be able to run it all night without interruption.

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I did my own kit as well and noticed that the filter does empty fast but after 20 hrs no issues.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Depends on the generator. Honda 2000 watt models are easy because of the fuel pump. However, other models will have to have the tank located higher than the generator's fuel tank in order to work.

The question specifically asked about the Champion 3100!!!!!!

drumming102
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
You can either buy the Pinellas Champion Extended Runtime kit thru Bottom Line Trading or you can source the parts individually and use their video to guide your install which is what I did. I found everything on Amazon. If anyone is interested, here are some PDF files with my notes and parts list.

Link to PDF files for DIY Conversion

i didn't use your EXACT parts (because i hadn't see your write up yet) but I run into an issue with my install where the genny drinks the fuel filter dry well way too fast. Changing the fuel filter this week to see if I can pinpoint the issue
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2920BH

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
You can either buy the Pinellas Champion Extended Runtime kit thru Bottom Line Trading or you can source the parts individually and use their video to guide your install which is what I did. I found everything on Amazon. If anyone is interested, here are some PDF files with my notes and parts list.

Link to PDF files for DIY Conversion
Visited States

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
I just ran our new 3100 in 103 degrees temps outside full sun running 1 AC in a 30' fifth wheel for two days. We were able to get 4 1/2 hrs of run time on a tank of gas on eco-mode. It seemed to be running at 3/4 speed because if i flipped to full run it would speed up some. I was very happy with its performance and ease. I was very pleased with how quiet it is in a campground. I walked to the next camp on both sides and could barley hear it. Our neighbor next to us complemented how quiet and asked what brand because he needed a bigger one to run the AC because his Honda 2000i could not. He didn't want to drop another grand on A Honda to run AC a few times a year. I told him I was the same and went with the 3100 and sold my Honda for $650 to a friend and bought the 3100 for $699. So far for the few times a year i will even use a generator I am very happy with the 3100.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog