cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A towing

gonervn501
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone tow a Honda Pilot with 4wd? Of course the manuals and dealers say no, but I have heard if you follow the same procedures as a CRV you are fine. I had a Honda rep tell me the only reason they say you shouldn't tow them is because they have not been tested. However, it would void warranty if something happened to the transmission.
9 REPLIES 9

atperci
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new to us 2005 Honda Pilot to tow behind our MH, after a lot of research. The 2005 is the last "official" year Honda endorsed flat towing the car. Having said that, there are more than few people out there who tow newer generation Pilots despite the voided warranty. They apparently still have the same drive train and as long as you follow the towing procedure exactly it should work.

That procedure, involves starting the engine, shifting the tranny through R N D D3 D2 D1 D2 D3 D leaving it in drive for at least 3 minutes before shifting into Neutral and turning off the engine. Leave the key in the ignition to keep the steering wheel from locking, release the parking brake, then use your other key to lock the door (the remote key fob won't work with the key in the ignition) as you exit.

From what I understand this procedure engages the trans fluid pump, lubricates the tranny, and the pump is left engaged as long as the tranny does not go into reverse. So when it's being pulled the road the pump still moves fluid through the system.

So far_ so good for ours, but we have only towed it about 1,600 miles so far. The same applies for the Acura MDX from what I read as its the same drive train on both.

Hope this helps.

Tom

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
gonervn501 wrote:
Thanks Ron. Yes it is 4wd with no transfer case.

If it doesn't have a transfer case, then it is AWD (all wheel drive) as a 4WD with transfer case has two speeds...hi and lo. AWD doesn't have any gears except those in the transmission and all four wheels are "pretty much" working all the time.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Our 07 CRV Has clear instructions in the Book regarding Towing behind a Motorhome!

I also was told that the Same instructions worked on the larger models ,Pilot.Ridgeline,and the Element! I heard conflicting reports about the Accura equivalents !

I just got through installing a Demco BasePlate on Our CRV ,which was not a piece of cake ,nor was it worth paying someone for Five Hours or more to do the job!

It took Myself and a two able helpers most of the Morning and an Hour in the afternoon to install and reattach the Plastic Lower Bumper Cover! Some creative fastening skills were employed to get it back to looking Normal! The hardest part of the install was trying to get those Strip Nuts into place and the first two Bolts threaded into them! Anyone who has done this install will know what I mean!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
My understand is the 2005 was the last year Honda gave towing instruction in the owner's manual. The 2006 and later years Owner's manuals indicate they can't be towed.

I understand the suspension system was changed, as well as possibly the transmission, which won't tolerate towing. Also, some owners of the 2005 and earlier models complained of frame weld failure problems, possibly due to the strain of being pulled around. A Honda dealer's salesman told me in 2006 that the 2006 model was towable, and they would just quote the 2005 manual. So, so much for salesmen. (I also didn't buy a Honda, but a Hummer, which can be towed.)

Wish I knew more and had specific facts to quote, but I don't.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

smitty2
Explorer
Explorer
I had an 03 pilot and when I looked into it I found I would have to add a circulation pump for the transmission fluid (about $130 in parts if I remember right).
Bob & Debra, et al

2012 Jayco Seneca 36FK
YA I KNOW - I'M A TRAITOR

gonervn501
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Ron. Yes it is 4wd with no transfer case.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the year. My 04 Pilot says "yes" in the manual. Later years, maybe not so much.

For me, it's better to have a toad past its warranty. I would think getting warranty work done if not factory approved for towing, will be a dodgy affair.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it 4-wheel drive (4WD) or all wheel drive (AWD)? If it is 4WD and has a manual transfer case selector so that you can put it into neutral...you should be ok. However, if no neutral position for the transfer case, I think you're outta luck!

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Moved from Forum Technical Support