cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clogged Black Tank

bettye
Explorer
Explorer
We had a situation with our granddaughter flushing feminine products down the toilet, causing a clog in the black tank. We spent two days trying to clear the clog ourselves and spoke with a couple RV repair services (quotes of $200+). We called a local septic service and they came and suck out the clog through the tank dump in a matter of minutes. $50 bucks.
Betty & Jim
2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
11 REPLIES 11

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
shadows4 wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
dieharder wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I have a large wet/dry vacuum. If I had a clogged black water tank, most likely I'd try hooking it up and opening the tank valve. Once I sucked out what ever was clogging, I'd shut the valve and disconnect the vacuum, empty, clean and put it away.

Once you've sucked out whatever is clogging, the rest of what's in the tank would flow out in the rush you regularly hear in your hose before you get to close the valve. Unfortunately, I've had to be there and do that.

I don't know why you were having trouble to close it off. It's just gravity fed. My tank takes several minutes to drain when it's full.

But, in any case, put the vacuum higher than the black tank. Once the clog comes clear, shut off the vacuum and the flow will stop because the hose is higher than the level in the tank.

I usually try to do things myself but.... in this case the $50 bucks the OP paid,sounds like a bargain to me. No way would I want to clean out the shop vac after that!!!!

Borrow the neighbor's shop vac. lol

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
skipro3 wrote:
dieharder wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I have a large wet/dry vacuum. If I had a clogged black water tank, most likely I'd try hooking it up and opening the tank valve. Once I sucked out what ever was clogging, I'd shut the valve and disconnect the vacuum, empty, clean and put it away.

Once you've sucked out whatever is clogging, the rest of what's in the tank would flow out in the rush you regularly hear in your hose before you get to close the valve. Unfortunately, I've had to be there and do that.

I don't know why you were having trouble to close it off. It's just gravity fed. My tank takes several minutes to drain when it's full.

But, in any case, put the vacuum higher than the black tank. Once the clog comes clear, shut off the vacuum and the flow will stop because the hose is higher than the level in the tank.

I usually try to do things myself but.... in this case the $50 bucks the OP paid,sounds like a bargain to me. No way would I want to clean out the shop vac after that!!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
dieharder wrote:
skipro3 wrote:

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Now, present the bill to the granddaughter. Maybe $50 will educate her.

Really?? I hope you are joking!
I would think she feels bad enough already. Sending her a bill would be the fastest way to keep her from camping ever again. SHEESH
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Just took the two great nieces (both 13 yrs. old) to Hot Springs, AR, to the Magic Springs water park.

I had a quick talk with them that ONLY the 3- P's go in the toilet... Pee, Poop and Paper, NOTHING ELSE. No problems.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:

1999 Itasca Sunrise

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were next to someone who also had really bad odor in a new to them used rv. They talked to the septic guy when he came to do the weekly rv pump in the campground. Had him clean tank with higher pressure sprayer, used some chemicals he gave them - came back the next week and used the pressure sprayer again and got all kind of gunk that had been dried in the tank --- $50 for the whole process including the chemicals. I would highly recommend them over and rv place for problems with clogs and odor.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now, present the bill to the granddaughter. Maybe $50 will educate her.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
I HOPE YOU HAD A NICE long TALK TO YOUR GRAND DAUGHTER.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you gave him a nice tip. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good idea. Thanks for sharing.

Did they suck it out through the toilet or, hook up to your tank dump?