cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold Weather Camping Tips

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of us enjoy camping in winter because of fewer insects/ticks and less crowded cgs. Thought it would be good if folks would share their favorite tips and tricks for cold weather camping for the less experienced.

We have hung thermal lined curtains on all our windows; and tucked a thermal curtain under the over cab bed to hang over the opening to the cab to keep the colder temps out of the main living space.

We bought a heated water hose to prevent the hose from freezing. A bit expensive but with all the cold weather camping we do, well worth it to have water in the morning.

A small propane heater comes in handy when the cg power goes out in a winter storm.

Any others?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
9 REPLIES 9

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Be aware of what happens to battery capacity. Propane boils at -42.5, so production of gas is lower in extreme cold. Having a way to warm the tank is a good plan. I use a magnetic (small) block heater.

The engine may almost certainly need to be equipped with a block heater. Fuel consumption will be higher partly because the air is denser and pushing the RV through that takes more energy.

Enclosed tanks and valves need to have heating from some source.

The fridge needs to be protected from extreme cold or the working fluid may gel and may possibly destroy it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jncrowe12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. I have ever dreamed about long winter trip somewhere in Alaska, and would like to ask about some advice from advanced campers and voyagers. I have 2005 Itasca Horizon ***Link Removed***, 40FD 400HP Cummins and almost everything prepared for such travel (have already checked many forums). Can you please explain some essential issues or problems that may appear? Can you suggest some additional essential thins to take with? Thanks in advance.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Find a place with shore power.

BINGO! Preferably 50amp so that both built in heaters can be run plus the portable & still have the furnace in reserve.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
In REAL cold weather, pull the slides in (especially at night when you go to bed). Less square footage to heat that way.

In the morning when you get up, the stove top (especially when fixing breakfast) will heat the camper back up fast (and even make it hot) after you extract the slides again.

TheSidwells
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe a good shovel and squeegee for digging out of the snow. 3 feet of snow on the roof we didn't want to hit the road and have it all blowing off onto on cars behind us. We used a squeegee on the roof and was able push it off fairly easy for the most part and then dug out around the trailer.
The Sidwell's

Live like no tomorrow, plan like there is....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:

x2 ๐Ÿ™‚

I much prefer the quiet purr of electric ceramic heaters to the blast-furnace sound my propane heater makes.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We love to do OFF-ROAD camping in the winter season. Most campgrounds are closed anyway but some will allow you to camp at them without facilities or shore power.

I like to put up camo barriers around my camp site. Cuts down on the wind somewhat and makes for a more private setup...

Also having a couple of heater type plan Bs is great... We usually have a good bon-fire going daytime and late evenings.

All we need is water and fire haha... Sometimes some extra gasoline for the 2KW generator helps too but it usually only gets run around three hours during the mornings around breakfast to charge our battery bank and make coffee for the day etc...

Our battery bank supports the use of lap size 12VDC heater blankets. They help alot sitting around the trailer watching HDTV on cold evenings after the sun goes down...

Running the propane furnace is the last resort thing we do...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Best camping is off season. The boozers tend to stay home. We take double fire wood and maybe a shovel to dig out around the fire ring. Lots of extra cloths for the kids, board games & a few movies for late night. Love the quiet of a snow hike. Take lots of pictures
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.